Police plead with MPs to increase penalties after road deaths spike (Updated)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Police plead with MPs to increase penalties after road deaths spike (Updated)

Post by Paphos Life »

Counting 29 road fatalities in the first eight months of the year - six in the past 11 days - police on Monday issued a dramatic appeal to politicians to put the necessary measures in place to stem the trend and force Cypriot drivers to comply with the code....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Police plead with MPs to increase penalties after road deaths spike (Updated)

Post by Dominic »

So they want to fine people talking on the phone €300 while fining people who don't wear a seatbelt €400? That doesn't make sense. Surely talking on a phone while driving is far more dangerous. No accident was ever caused by not wearing a seatbelt. Countless are caused by people using their phone.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Re: Police plead with MPs to increase penalties after road deaths spike (Updated)

Post by Jimgym »

Having been involved in a very very near miss on Sunday, with a driver of a truck on the wrong side of the road and coming at me very fast, I wish they would enforce the laws better and educate drivers more. How they would do that is anyones guess though. But I can tell you, having swerved off the road and been missed by inches, it was a pretty scary experience. If he had hit me then its doubtful I would be typing this. A scary thought!
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Dominic wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:53 am So they want to fine people talking on the phone €300 while fining people who don't wear a seatbelt €400? That doesn't make sense. Surely talking on a phone while driving is far more dangerous. No accident was ever caused by not wearing a seatbelt. Countless are caused by people using their phone.
But wearing seat belts saved many lives.
Louise :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Personally I dont really care if people dont wear seat belts or Helmets , if they are so stupid as not to care about their safety, then why should I lose any sleep over it, I agree with the phone thou, I would not only fine them heavily , I would confiscate the phone of them too.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Its all very well telling people to behave on the roads, why dont the police get off their arses and be like the cops in the UK, stop and arrest them.
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:09 am Its all very well telling people to behave on the roads, why dont the police get off their arses and be like the cops in the UK, stop and arrest them.
The Police have arrested thousands over the last few clamp downs, where do you get your info from?.

https://in-cyprus.com/police-more-than- ... two-weeks/
LouiseCastricum

Uncle D wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:09 am Its all very well telling people to behave on the roads, why dont the police get off their arses and be like the cops in the UK, stop and arrest them.
Sorry but couldn't resist !
69329428_10158687009193294_3170337209123340288_n.jpg
69329428_10158687009193294_3170337209123340288_n.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Paul

Post by Paul »

We have just been down to Paphos, we were 3rd in line to turn right on to butcher boy road when the lights changed.
The lights turn to amber at 09.44.48, at 09.44.51 the light turned red, at 09.44.54 a 19 ton lorry ran through the red light.
He had 6 second to stop did he hell!
This was all recorded on our dash cam.
If the professionals can not drive correctly what chance do we have.
Youtube Video!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Sorry to say Louise but that is a cop out argument. I didn't leave the UK because I didn't like it, however that is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with liking or not liking a place, but about saving lives, and one day it could be yours that is saved.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Paul & Lesley wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:27 am We have just been down to Paphos, we were 3rd in line to turn right on to butcher boy road when the lights changed.
The lights turn to amber at 09.44.48, at 09.44.51 the light turned red, at 09.44.54 a 19 ton lorry ran through the red light.
He had 6 second to stop did he hell!
This was all recorded on our dash cam.
If the professionals can not drive correctly what chance do we have.
Youtube Video!
Send this to Police HQ. in Nicosia, they do follow up .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:29 pm Sorry to say Louise but that is a cop out argument. I didn't leave the UK because I didn't like it, however that is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with liking or not liking a place, but about saving lives, and one day it could be yours that is saved.
I think you missed Louise's point. It wasn't about bad driving, it was about comparing it to driving in the UK.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I nearly knocked a police motorcyclist off his bike. Same set of lights as in the video. No blues or twos and without any warning he undertook me at traffic lights as I was turning right and then cut in front of me. What hope have we got when police motorcyclists ride dangerously. Also, those lights are a nightmare for people coming through on red. I always wait until the traffic on the other side has actually stopped.
Plus, the taxi drivers are still a law unto themselves. Why do we not see speed traps on the airport road on the busy days?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:40 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:29 pm Sorry to say Louise but that is a cop out argument. I didn't leave the UK because I didn't like it, however that is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with liking or not liking a place, but about saving lives, and one day it could be yours that is saved.
I think you missed Louise's point. It wasn't about bad driving, it was about comparing it to driving in the UK.
Apologies if that was what she meant. However I read it as not trying to change things to suit immigrants who are used to their home country standards, driving in this case.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:05 pm Couldn't agree more Louise. Trouble is, (some) folks come out here and then want to turn Cyprus into a Little England. I like Cyprus as it is, warts and all. I do not want to see Cyprus turned into a Police State, with surveillance (and now face-recognition) cameras on every building and whopping fines for the most minor misdemeanours.
Spot on HIC, I love living here, little things like going into a bank, having a face to face with the employee rather then through a security screen, I love the easy going lifestyle, be it parking etc, being at a venue where a wedding is going on, and being invited in for a drink, as tho your a family member...... I've got no time for moaning expats, who want a little England with sun, they seem to moan and compare everything to good old Blighty, the irony is many leave the UK, giving reasons such as too many foreigners living together in the same area , not bothering to assimilate with the locals, never bothering to learn the language etc, the Irony is lost on them :lol:
LouiseCastricum

Indeed you completely misunderstood my message. It had to do with the comment about the better cops in UK.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:40 pm
Indeed you completely misunderstood my message. It had to do with the comment about the better cops in UK.
Ok, why dont the cops get off their arses and stop and arrest them
David
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

WHL wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:59 am
The Police have arrested thousands over the last few clamp downs, where do you get your info from?.

From what I witness whilst driving around and not from a newspaper
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:52 pm
WHL wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:59 am

From what I witness whilst driving around and not from a newspaper
Quote..... why dont the Police get off their arses and be like the cops in the UK, stop and arrest them,

so even when you get shown a link , that thousands of motorist do get nicked, you still wont admit your wrong, never mind :roll:
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Ok mum what ever you say :lol:
David