Police in plea to road users to ‘change mentality’ after 6 fatalities in 10 days

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Police in plea to road users to ‘change mentality’ after 6 fatalities in 10 days

Post by memory man »

Police on Sunday issued a new plea to road users, saying that the only way to stem the bloodshed on the roads was if each and every road user realised that they needed to comply with the rules.

The announcement followed two road fatalities within a few hours after collisions in the Limassol district and in Nicosia on Saturday night. It brought the total of lives lost on the roads in the past 10 days to six.

“Another sad day has dawned for society with another two deaths in a corresponding number of road accidents (six dead in the past 10 days) ,” police said in a written announcement.

The list of road victims is growing and shows us that as a society, as individuals, as drivers, that we must change, the announcement added.

“We must change mindset, culture and mentality as regards our behaviour on the road and the way we look at driving more generally,” police said,

No one is invincible and danger lurks throughout a journey by car or motorbike so all should ensure they comply with safety rules and the traffic code, the announcement added.

Police said that on their part they are striving to raise public awareness and to ensure compliance.

Hundreds of drivers are booked every day for a range of traffic offences with the aim that even through fear being punished drivers will be persuaded to comply with the traffic code, the announcement concluded..

https://in-cyprus.com/police-in-plea-to ... n-10-days/
memory man

Re: Police in plea to road users to ‘change mentality’ after 6 fatalities in 10 days

Post by memory man »

A lot of consideration has to be given to the
Emergency Services.
They are the ones who have to " pick up the pieces "
and believe me............it 'aint nice.
JimX

Re: Police in plea to road users to ‘change mentality’ after 6 fatalities in 10 days

Post by JimX »

It is about time locals and of course us, the driving standards in my time here have never improved, every time you go out in your car you seem to take your life in someone else's hands, I hate driving on Cyprus, do the locals know what indicators are for? as they rarely use them especially at road roundabouts, we all make mistakes but it is pandemic here and as I said it never improves.
Jim.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

memory man wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:46 pm A lot of consideration has to be given to the
Emergency Services.
They are the ones who have to " pick up the pieces "
and believe me............it 'aint nice.
I've heard this before from the police in the UK, its all very well telling people to behave on the roads but here they allow bikers to ride around with no helmets, crushed skulls on tarmac cant be a pretty sight.
David
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I do really believe if the police clamped down hard on the use of mobile phones when driving it would drastically reduce accidents. Hit them with a €1,000 fine and points on the licence; sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I would have to agree about Phones, Seat belts, and Helmets
Trev..
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

The traffic has increased tremendously but the attitude to driving and maintaining vehicles have not so it’s not a good mix when also thrown into the equation mobile phones 📱 no seat belts, children not in car seats and no helmets.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Yioula wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:00 pm The traffic has increased tremendously but the attitude to driving and maintaining vehicles remained the same as years ago, so it’s not a good mix when also thrown into the equation mobile phones 📱 no seat belts, children not in car seats and no helmets.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with Jim X’s comment about use or rather the non use of indicators. If everyone used indicators in advance of any change in direction of road travel, it would make it easier for other drivers. to anticipate and to avoid them, especially at roundabouts and road junctions.
I agree too about the use of mobile phones when driving, which should be banned and heavily fined. Wearing seat belts and strapping children into their car seats would also make the roads safer. These are just as few ways that the number of road kill accidents could be reduced.
Finally consideration for other road users would also be a plus point.

Dee
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

I think the Police are hypocritical

https://in-cyprus.com/larnaca-man-booke ... the-limit/

A 42 year old man was caught driving five times over the limit in Larnaca on Monday night.
Police stopped the man’s car on the Larnaca-Dhekelia road at around 11 pm because he was driving dangerously.
He underwent a breathalyser test with a reading of 114 mg, which is more than five times the legal limit of 22 mg.
The driver was taken by police to his house. His car was kept at the police station.

5 times over the limit, in the UK he would have been in a cell till court date and his car probably scrapped as the insurance would have been voided

Whilst here in Cyprus the police are running a Taxi service for criminals and safe storage for cars
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

I agree with all the sentiments expressed so far. However, whilst the appalling driving by some Cypriots is a major issue, a lot of Ex-Pats leave a lot to be desired as well. Some seem to have a "If you can't beat them, join them" attitude, and some of the really elderly ones are dangers to themselves as well as everyone around them. As for drinking and driving, some Ex-Pats are just very serious accidents waiting to happen.