Important info re Meu 1 Meu 3

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Cactuslil

Re: Important info re Meu 1 Meu 3

Post by Cactuslil »

You can still have Gesy with Meu 1
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But can you still have Gesy with Meu1 if there is a no deal brexit... It is very confusing....
At one time you just needed Meu1.... Then you could get Meu3.... Now some are saying you have to get Meu3... Then of course there is the point that they will all be replaced by yet another document..
Grrrrrr..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Only when the UK leaves and under what terms and conditions, then everyone is just guessing, all ifs and maybes.
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

I have followed this, as many have for quite a while now and the pros and cons of the “MEU’s”. And whilst it has been obvious if you are resident in Cyprus you need at least an MEU 1, and to be honest you would be silly, even before Brexit not to have one, I think this is the first time the word “must” has appeared officially. And Trevnhil is correct in his assumption that after Brexit new forms will be required, the advantage of having the MEU 3 will be that the issue of the new form should just be a formality whilst if you have an MEU1 you will have to go through a similar process of getting the current MEU 3.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Again you have said that it was Recommended, that of course is not the same as you have to have Meu3
And when the government said that " it will be a smooth transition from an Meu3 to the new document." Did they not also include the Meu1 ??
Trev..
darrow

Post by darrow »

I have just looked at the form we collected yesterday. There is a section at the bottom that asks for two photo's. Since no one has mentioned photo's on the forum, are they required or do they take them at the immigration office? TIA
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:19 pm
Cactuslil wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:44 am Following the link from “photo lady” -
Applications received up until the end of the transition period will be examined on the basis of the current free movement rules, and, if approved, will result to the issuance of the current residence documents.
That's not how I read it. To me it says that UK expats can ONLY make an application for MEU1 or 3 at the latest up to 31st October 2019 as, if no deal Brexit takes place on that date, such people will no longer be from an EU country.

b) If you do not have a residence document, you will have to apply for a residence permit. Applications are possible for the UK nationals legally residing in Cyprus until 31/10/2019 with the CIVIL REGISTRY AND MIGRATION DEPARTMENT or at the Local Immigration Offices. For information on the application process, please visit this website www.moi.gov.cy
That's how I read it as well.

Jim
tonee

Post by tonee »

And of course you can pay Gwenny 150 euros to be there with you to register.....or do it yourself for 20 euros!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I thought it was the other way around
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ah, I understand now... You had been here more than 5 years but never had an Meu 1 :-)
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

And you can forget travelling as a UK third world country resident....
Just glad our next overseas trip which will take place after Brexit (if it happens) at the end of October is to a non-EU country. My passport expires a short time after our return date but not 3 months after it...
The pdf form really makes for difficult reading. Hopefully the link works: http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf ... _final.pdf

Some bits of it here below:
2. Passenger rights Will EU passenger rights continue to apply to EU citizens travelling to and from the UK and EU?
Air passengers If you are flying with an EU airline4, you will continue to be protected by EU passenger rights both on flights from a UK airport to an airport in the EU, and vice versa. If you are flying with a non-EU airline, you will only be covered on flights from the EU to the UK, but not on flights from the UK to an EU airport.
What about passengers with reduced mobility?
You will no longer benefit from EU law, which grants specific rights for persons with disabilities or with reduced mobility travelling by air when you leave from, transit through, or arrive at an airport in the UK. However, EU airlines which leave from a UK airport to fly to an EU airport will still have to respect certain rights (assistance, prevention of refusal of carriage and obligation to provide information).

4. Healthcare when travelling

As an EU citizen, will I be able to use the European Health Insurance Card in the UK?
No, EU citizens will no longer be able to access healthcare in the UK with their European Health Insurance Card.
Check with your health insurance provider if emergency medical expenses in a non-EU country are reimbursed. If not, consider taking out private travel insurance.
As a UK national, will I be able to use the European Health Insurance Card when travelling in the EU?
No, as a UK national you will not be able to access healthcare in an EU Member State on the basis of the European Health Insurance Card. If you are insured in the UK and you intend to travel in an EU Member State, check with your health insurance provider if emergency medical expenses in EU Member States are reimbursed. If not, consider taking out private travel insurance.

7. Roaming

Will EU roaming rules continue to apply in the UK?
No. Companies providing mobile communication services, such as voice calls, text messages or data, will no longer be bound by EU roaming rules when operating in the UK.
This means that these companies may apply surcharges to UK customers using roaming services in the EU, and to EU citizens using roaming services in the UK.

More through the link further up this post on driving licences and pet travel requirements etc.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"