Important info re Meu 1 Meu 3

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Important info re Meu 1 Meu 3

Post by Lincoln »

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR UK RESIDENTS IN CYPRUS - IMPORTANCE OF HAVING MEU1/3

Dear Member,

Once again, with apologies to our non British members.

The following information has been provided by Cathi Delaney, Tala Community Council Member, and advises the action that will be required by British residents who do not have an MEU1 or MEU3. In the event of a "no deal BREXIT" residents, who do not have the appropriate paperwork, could find getting the necessary documents more complex than starting the process while the UK is still a member of the European Union.

Thank you,

Val.
Valerie Potter
KVHA Secretary
Please note that at the present time, those UK residents who have not yet applied for the MEU1/MEU3 must start the immigration procedure, including making an appointment with Immigration Department, BEFORE 31 OCTOBER.

Even if the appointment given is after 31 October, with the current liklihood of a No Deal Brexit, the application procedure must be started before the UK exit date. The Cypriot Authorities have confirmed to the British High Commission that they will process any Immigration applications started before 31 October.

It is understood that there are around 70,000 UK nationals living on the island. To date only around 34,000 have applied for and received MEU1/3 documentation.

Failure to start the Immigration procedure before 31 October, means that in the absence of an MEU1/3, the UK national will become a third country national and be subject to a 90 day in every 180 maximum visa-free stay on the island. Exceeding the 90 day limit in every 180 will leave the UK national at the mercy of the Immigration authorities and result in difficulties in leaving from or returning to the island.

In the meantime, as of today, this is the official information and guidance received from the Cypriot authorities:
As per DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL OF 29 APRIL 2004, all UK nationals resident in Cyprus for longer than 3 months are required by law to apply for temporary MEU1 residence documents. If they have resided in Cyprus for 5 years, UK nationals must apply for the permanent MEU3 residency documents. In addition to the legal requirement to regularise residency status with the RoC authorities, these documents are necessary in order to safeguard the residency and free movement rights of UK nationals in Cyprus after the UK leaves the European Union and also necessary in order for UK nationals to register with the Government Health System (GESY).

Cyprus Parliament has even passed relevant No Deal legislation The Right of Certain United Kingdom Residents and their Family Members to Move and Reside Freely in the Republic Law of 2019 that will safeguard the rights of UK nationals resident in Cyprus after Brexit provided that they have regularised their status with the authorities.

· In order to avoid losing their free movement and residency rights in Cyprus, resident UK nationals must proceed the soonest to apply for MEU residency documents.

· If UK nationals in Cyprus do not have regularised residency status there is a risk that they will become, by forfeit, third country nationals, and they will then be subject to the immigration regulations for third country nationals. Amongst other risks this will also mean that as third country nationals they will be subject to the 90 days in every 180 days maximum visa free stay on island. Exceeding the 90 day limit in every 180 days may result in difficulties with Cyprus Immigration authorities and difficulties either leaving from or re-entering Cyprus ports of entry.

The legislation that has been passed by the Cyprus parliament applies to UK nationals who, prior to the exit date

Exercised their right of free movement and residence in the RoC (i.e. arrived on island through a legal port of entry in order to continue their residency).
Will continue to reside in the RoC after exit date.

The Law applies to legally defined family members in the case that the two aforementioned conditions have been met and also under the following conditions:

If they have resided outside the RoC prior to exit date, provided that they fall within the definition of the term “member of family” as this is stipulated in Article 2 of the Citizens Right Directive.
If they are born of or were adopted legally by the UK national, and fall within the definition of “member of family”. Irrespective of whether they were or were not physically present in the RoC after the exit date.

The rights of family members, who are dependant UK nationals prior to exit date, shall be retained even after they have ceased to be dependant.

Right to entry and exit.
Under the conditions specified in the proposed legislation, UK nationals and their legally defined family members who reside in the government-controlled areas of the RoC, will have the right of entry and exit from the Republic respectively, as provided for in articles 6 and 5 of the Citizens Right Directive. In accordance with the Directive, UK nationals [UKN] have the right to move freely and enter/exit with a valid passport or identity card. If the defined family members of the UKN are not UKNs themselves, then they as family members have the right to enter/exit with a valid passport.

Territorial application
The legislation applies only to the areas of the Republic in which the Government of the RoC exercises effective control and therefore the rights secured under this Law are not guaranteed in respect to persons residing in the areas not under the effective control of the RoC authorities.
This law does not therefore apply to UKNs who reside in the north of Cyprus and do not have either an MEU1 or MEU3 residency status and document as issued by the RoC CRMD. Essentially, following EU Exit, the movements of these individuals to enter or exit the RoC through a legal RoC port of entry or through a buffer zone check point will be classified and regulated under the relevant legislation for third country nationals.

Right of permanent residence.
Under the current legislation, UK nationals and their family members have the right of permanent residence in the RoC if they have legally resided in the areas controlled by the RoC for a continuous period of:

Five years
For a period of time as provided for in articles 15 and 16 of the Citizens Right Directive.

Once the right of permanent residence has been acquired, its loss shall occur only in the absence from the RoC in which the Government of the RoC exercises effective control over a period exceeding five consecutive years.
All things are possible
Jim B

Re: Important info re Meu 1 Meu 3

Post by Jim B »

I was surprised that a figure of around 36,000 hadn't bothered to register with immigration.

Jim
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

I think a lot of Brits have their heads in the sand when it comes to immigration and think things will revert back to before Cyprus was in the EU.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

It's for the first time I have seen this line in the million of Brexit news items :

"with apologies to our non British members"
Louise :)
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

When we moved here (pre EU) we registered with immigration. It was very simple. We are in possession of our MEU3A, again it was made very simple and easy. Cyprus does make it as easy as possible for Brits here as regards to immigration, so I see no need to ignore it. Each to their own though.
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

I assume from this that if the UK crashes out without a deal, when I move over next year I will be applying as a 3rd Country National? Best start looking at what I need to do as only really looked at what I need for an MEU1.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It is a very interesting article especially if you look at the variance of the rules in different countries....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:43 am When we moved here (pre EU) we registered with immigration. It was very simple. We are in possession of our MEU3A, again it was made very simple and easy. Cyprus does make it as easy as possible for Brits here as regards to immigration, so I see no need to ignore it. Each to their own though.
Alan
Like you I registered prior to Cyprus joining the EU and it was very straight forward. It was only later when I remarried to a Third Country National that the fun began, As I've said many times, trying to get an MU2a is a totally different ball game and would strongly advise anyone who is contemplating applying to apply before the 31st October whether Brexit takes place or not rather than taking the chance of becoming classed as a TCN.
It cost us a lot of time and a lot of money, nothing like the 20 minute visit to Paphos Immigration when applying for an MU1a.

Jim
TandC

Post by TandC »

Still confused by MEUI versus MEU 3 for regular visitor but not fully permenant resident..

Advice from HC seems to indicate both acceptable and no question of"must" convert to MEU 3.

Have sought advice from Cyprus HC. We will see what they say!!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

TandC wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:47 pm Still confused by MEUI versus MEU 3 for regular visitor but not fully permenant resident..

Advice from HC seems to indicate both acceptable and no question of"must" convert to MEU 3.

Have sought advice from Cyprus HC. We will see what they say!!

In the meantime, as of today, this is the official information and guidance received from the Cypriot authorities:
As per DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL OF 29 APRIL 2004, all UK nationals resident in Cyprus for longer than 3 months are required by law to apply for temporary MEU1 residence documents. If they have resided in Cyprus for 5 years, UK nationals must apply for the permanent MEU3 residency documents. In addition to the legal requirement to regularise residency status with the RoC authorities, these documents are necessary in order to safeguard the residency and free movement rights of UK nationals in Cyprus after the UK leaves the European Union and also necessary in order for UK nationals to register with the Government Health System (GESY).
All things are possible
darrow

Post by darrow »

The first we knew of it was this post on here today! We have been checking regularly and last time it was optional, now it is saying must acquire a MEU3. Not to sit on our laurels, we checked on the migration site, collated the paperwork required, called in to immigration office about 1p.m.. The place was empty. We have an appointment for October 11th. Happy e ought with that. Does anyone know the best time to visit, since it just states a day and not a time? TIA
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We used to get there for 8am. You have to be pushy because queuing isn't a concept for most nationalities especially the agents who always try and jump the queue.

Jim
TandC

Post by TandC »

Bit difficult as we cant prove 5 year continuous residency we only stay in Cyprus for just under 6 months per year:any views?
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Has anyone ever given a reasoned argument on here why you should not get either an MEU1 (if you're here a lot, but less than 6 months, like me) or an MEU3 (if you're here more than 6 months)?

I just can't for the life of me, see the problem in getting either of these, whichever is appropriate. What is there to lose (unless you're working here and not paying tax....but that's another matter)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

As I understand under EU Law you can reside anywhere in the EU, the MU1a is just registration to say where your place of abode is and the six months is a tax requirement. I know many people who work overseas, some for up to ten months a year but still have an MU1a or MU3a. If you have a place here and you can prove you are self sufficient you can register.
I know many people who work in the Middle East and beyond and none meet six months in country criteria but all have MU1a or MU3a.

Jim
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Currently there is no guarantee of reciprocal state health care after 31st October and as we are fortunate to have MEU3 status, should we be no longer covered by the UK for state health care in Cyprus, at least we will still be eligible to GESY healthcare due to our MEU3 status, albeit we would then have to contribute a percentage of our income. No way could we afford private medical cover and even if we could there would be so many exclusions that it would not be a practical solution anyway.

GESY ELIGIBILITY If you are a resident of the government controlled areas you are a GHS beneficiary if a) you are employed, or b) you have acquired permanent residence status, or c) you are a member of the family of a beneficiary or d) you are insured in another EU Member State.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Lots of information here:

Cyprus
I am a UK national living in Cyprus. In case of a no-deal scenario, what should I do to keep my residence rights after Brexit date? When should I do it?
Cyprus will protect your residence rights through transitional measures that will be applicable indefinitely. You will need to have a residence document to prove these rights.
a) If you already have a residence document issued under EU free movement law, this will be considered as your temporary residence permit until 31/12/2020. After 31/12/2020, you will have to apply for a new residence permit, according to the new specific rules that will be in place by that time.
b) If you do not have a residence document, you will have to apply for a residence permit. Applications are possible for the UK nationals legally residing in Cyprus until 31/10/2019 with the CIVIL REGISTRY AND MIGRATION DEPARTMENT or at the Local Immigration Offices. For information on the application process, please visit this website www.moi.gov.cy/crmd
c) You will receive a residence permit under EU law. This will be considered as your temporary residence permit until 31/12/2020. After 31/12/2020, you will have to apply for a new residence permit, according to the new specific rules that will be in place by that time.

What will my rights be?
With your temporary residence permit, you will keep most of the rights you had as an EU citizen. This means you will be able to continue to reside in the territory of Cyprus, to work, to look for a job, or to study.

How can I travel to other Member States or cross the EU external borders?
You will have to carry your passport and your temporary residence permit.

I have resided in Cyprus for more than five years. How can I obtain EU long-term residence status?
After Brexit date, your will keep your rights indefinitely, but you can already apply in parallel for an EU long-term residence permit. This permit will grant you a permanent status, and allow you to enjoy the same treatment as nationals regarding access to employment, education, and core social benefits. This will also allow you, under certain conditions, to acquire the right to reside in another EU Member State. For more information on how to apply for an EU long-term residence permit, please visit this website www.moi.gov.cy/crmd
For information on national permanent residence see this webpage: www.moi.gov.cy/crmd

My family members (spouse, children) are citizens of a third country (neither EU nor UK). What should they do to keep their residence rights?
a) If they already have a residence card issued under EU free movement law, this will be considered as their temporary residence permit until 31/12/2020. After 31/12/2020, they will have to apply for a new residence permit, according to the law that will be applicable at that time.
b) If they do not have a residence card, they will have to apply for a residence permit. Applications are possible until 31/10/2019 with the Civil Registry and Migration Department or at the Local Immigration Offices. For information on the application process, please visit this website www.moi.gov.cy/crmd

For more detailed information
Please visit the Cyprus government website: www.moi.gov.cy/crmd
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
darrow

Post by darrow »

The law is to be registered for tax, you need to be here 183+ per annum. Only then can you register, so I assume the MEUI or MEU3 is not applicable to you. Contact the Civil registry and immigration Ministry for conformation. I believe they have an email address, on their web site.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

darrow wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:11 pm The first we knew of it was this post on here today! We have been checking regularly and last time it was optional, now it is saying must acquire a MEU3. Not to sit on our laurels, we checked on the migration site, collated the paperwork required, called in to immigration office about 1p.m.. The place was empty. We have an appointment for October 11th. Happy e ought with that. Does anyone know the best time to visit, since it just states a day and not a time? TIA
From what you say it looks like 1pm would be a good time.
Does anyone know what time they are open until ..
Trev..
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

Following the link from “photo lady” -

Holders of current resident documents (MEU1, MEU2, MEU3) will be able to continue to use them as means of proof for residence rights in Cyprus. Applications received up until the end of the transition period will be examined on the basis of the current free movement rules, and, if approved, will result to the issuance of the current residence documents. After the end of the transition period, holders of residence documents and eligible persons arriving in Cyprus will have the right, upon application, to receive a new type of residence document, which will include a statement that it has been issued in accordance with the Withdrawal Agreement.

This looks like Meu 1/2/3 will be superseded.