Begging for Food

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
angieb

Begging for Food

Post by angieb »

Yesterday evening, I had been shopping in Papantoniou at the harbour and was walking back up the main road. Just across from Hondros I was approached by a young man, possibly late teens/early 20s who told me he didn’t want any money, but he was hungry and could I buy him food from the supermarket. He gestured for me to walk back in that direction. I politely declined and went on my way. He spoke in English, with an accent (not UK) but I couldn’t work out from where. He was neat and tidy and had a small rucksack.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this was likely to be a scam of some sort, maybe to find out where I keep my purse, or if it could have been genuine? He knew where the supermarket was, so why wasn’t he outside it? I felt a bit guilty for not helping, if it was genuine, but I’m very wary of being caught out.
WHL

Re: Begging for Food

Post by WHL »

Don't entertain them, mostly gypsies from Greece, looking for easy pickings, just pull your phone out and threaten to call the cops, they wil soon be on their toes, the Cypriot police dont mess about with them.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yup. It's a profession these days.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
angieb

Post by angieb »

Thank you for the info, I’ll be ready the next time.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Eighteen years ago this kind of begging was as bad as the time share touts, remember them? I do, In some cases it maybe needed but I would say politely sorry I also have people to feed. I certainly do not advocate calling the police or threatening to do this, could lead you into possible violence, don't do this.
Jim.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

You did the right thing angieb in politely declining his request and continuing on your way. Just what I would have done in similar circumstances.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

One method that also may work is to avoid all direct eye contact and proceed quietly as if you hadn’t heard anything.

Dee
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

CONSIDER:-

She calls out to the man on the street
'Sir, can you help me?
It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep,
Is there somewhere you can tell me?'
He walks on, doesn't look back
He pretends he can't hear her
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there
Oh think twice, it's another day for you and me in paradise
Oh think twice, 'cause it's just another day for you,
You and me in paradise, think about it
She calls out to the man on the street
He can see she's been crying
She's got blisters on the soles of her feet
She can't walk but she's trying
Oh think twice, 'cause it's another day for you and me in paradise
Oh think twice, it's just another day for you,
You and me in paradise, think about it
Oh Lord, is there nothing more anybody can do
Oh…

Another Day in Paradise
Phil Collins
WHL

Post by WHL »

Only last week outside Lidls in Larnaca, a young Greek Gypsy girl, holding a young baby was begging for food , watched all the time by her partner, sat in a newish Mercedes coup, whilst having a chunky Gold chain round his neck and wrists, which the gold alone would be worth several thousand euros just in scrape value, I know he was her partner, because as people were giving her food, she would open the boot, and put them in, Lidls did stop the beggars for several months from the store front, but it seems they are drifting back.
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

I know there are a lot of scammers out there, but for me personally if someone was asking for food I would help them, but I know its just my own personal opinion, I think sometimes you can feel in your gut if its genuine or not, it is sad that there are people that do this for a living, but for the people that need the help I think its a sad world that we walk by with our head down pretending not to hear them.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cherry345 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 am I know there are a lot of scammers out there, but for me personally if someone was asking for food I would help them, but I know its just my own personal opinion, I think sometimes you can feel in your gut if its genuine or not, it is sad that there are people that do this for a living, but for the people that need the help I think its a sad world that we walk by with our head down pretending not to hear them.
No its a sad World when someone is begging for food while wearing 100 euro trainers
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But would you give food to a beggar who was then putting it into a boot of a Mercedes as mentioned by WHL
There are of course people begging in countries all over the world, including the UK
In my hometown recently someone offered to buy a 'homeless man' something to eat... He refused and said he would prefer the money to buy something himself.. At his feet was a bottle of strong cider :-(
Trev..