A GESY tale ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

A GESY tale ...

Post by MacManiac »

Having jumped through the various GESY hoops we successfully chose a doctor, and have been to see her a couple of times in the last two months. Thank goodness, we thought. You can imagine our surprise when I received an email from GESY informing us that, from the end of August, she would be available no longer. The email further suggested that, if we did not register with another doctor, we would “automatically” be allocated to another doctor.

I must admit to be less than pleased. It was explained to us, when we signed up, that we were contracted to that doctor for six months. Obviously the doctor was not contracted in the same way.
Tremigirl

Re: A GESY tale ...

Post by Tremigirl »

Can you name the doctor or what hospital she is at as I am sure a few of us will be getting worried.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Dr Natalia at Polis Hosptal.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

MacManiac wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:38 pm I must admit to be less than pleased. It was explained to us, when we signed up, that we were contracted to that doctor for six months. Obviously the doctor was not contracted in the same way.
That would be completely unworkable. If she signed someone up 2 weeks ago, she would then be obliged to stay in the job for another 6 months. No employer can require that of someone.

As you don't know why she has decided to resign from GESY, she may have all sorts of personal reasons that are unconnected to GESY.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

6 months notice is not uncommon these days, that’s my wife’s notice period, mine was 3 months but then I’m much less important! 😂

I don’t know this Doctor but is possible she was near to retirement age but in some way forced to sign up to GESY? It could also be that she’s just had some news regarding her own health.

Ian
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I remember reading on FB in May that some patients and a clinic were left in the lurch after one Personal Doctor moved to another area and they were subsequently registered with another PD at the same clinic. However, now the lists are filling up there may not be the choice to sign up with a preferred doctor.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Some clarification regarding the issue ... we received a text message from our doctor, informing us that she was moving to a local private clinic and was still in the GESY scheme. We have to “reregister” after September 1st and, in the meantime, another former Polis Hospital doctor would look after us at the clinic. My wife went to the clinic and received her repeat prescriptions under GESY so all was well for her.

On a separate issue one item (Calcium and Vitamin D) which had been prescribed under the old system was not available under GESY and the bill for that one item at the pharmacy was €33.

On a more worrying note Polis Hospital is struggling for doctors and yesterday there was only one doctor on site, covering Outpatients and the A & E Department. The remaining doctors are apparently pulling 24 hour shifts, and the system is close to “collapse”. That was the word used by one of the doctors. An area the size of Polis, and the surrounding areas, needs the hospital to survive. We are obviously concerned, as are many others. Worrying times ...