Cordless vacuum cleaners ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Cordless vacuum cleaners ...

Post by MacManiac »

I remember people posting about cordless vacuum cleaners, and various opinions being put forward. The problem many people referred to was the problem of buying replacement batteries at a reasonable price. Either local prices were silly, or else it was not possible to have batteries sent to Cyprus.

My darling wife wants us to buy a cordless lightweight vacuum cleaner to clean white dog hairs that gather in between our cleaner’s weekly visits. Our Miele Cat & Dog is too heavy and cumbersome for her to use. It needs to be an upright vacuum as well.

Any suggestions more than welcome.
darrow

Re: Cordless vacuum cleaners ...

Post by darrow »

We have the Gtech K9. From UK via LHUKCY. Came with 2 filters and you can order a second battery if you wish. It is extremely light, cleans dog hairs really well. The only downside, you have to clean the filter fairly regularly. We have two dogs who shed hairs and it copes well. We have had ours over 2 years and the battery charges quite quickly and lasts long enough to thorough!y clean a 3 bed house.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Bought a Dyson V8 direct from Dyson about 18 months ago. Really good and very versatile. Could perhaps do with a bigger dust container but they addressed that in later models. Filters needs a rinse in running water once a month and I also disassemble the main unit at the same time and give that a brush out. Delivery was about €30 via LHUKCY. Spare batteries around £50 on Amazon which could also be done via LHUKCY?
Ian
JimX

Post by JimX »

They will not fly these Vac's out here now because of possible battery malfunctions while in flight, for sure Amazon either DE or the UK will not send them here, I may look into yours and darrows' idea no doubt shipped out here? not flown, so there would be a delay of several weeks? Also I think you may pay more at a local outlet but you would have some sort of a warranty so maybe this is the best option. My last Dyson lasted several years before the motor head stopped rotating, also the battery failed to charge, the cost of a local replacement was just not worth the investment, so we bought a Sharp cordless, have to say in no way as good as our old Dyson, but a lot cheaper. You get what you pay for I guess
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We bought last year a Shark uptight cordless vacuum cleaner.. It was expensive, but it is really good and easy to use.. It had two batteries with it, but we realise that in later years we may need a replacement battery.. It was shipped to Cyprus by RSS and we paid a small amount when collecting it
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Yes I am considering doing just this Trev, only concerns are the guarantees if service is needed, maybe best to buy here.?
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

You can of course get them here, but the price is quite excessive..
Trev..
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

The prices seem excessive wherever they are on sale. I couldn’t believe how much the Dyson and the Gtech cost. It must be years since I bought the Miele and that cost c.£200 which seemed expensive even then. Thanks to all for the suggestions made.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

With our Dyson giving us problems we purchased a Bosch last week from Scalia on the Polis road..It was on special offer around 235e. Very impressed..
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Forgot to mention highly rated on Which....
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Reesy wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:19 am Forgot to mention highly rated on Which....
Not to mention that GTech & Shark aren't rated very highly!
manxie

Post by manxie »

Have bosch athlet 25.2 V lithium power purchased about 3years ago used daily on wooden flooring +carpets on which you have to reduce suctioning power ,easy to clean and maintain we live in 2 bed apartment in I o m so not sure of performance in high summer one of our better buys ,ithe only down side accessory kit fiddly we still have mains Hoover if doing a good top to bottom clean but for every day light clean I rate it I think we paid about £140 from currys
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I still have a Miele ‘Cat and Dog’ vacuum cleaner purchased during the ‘90’s. It is still going strong, finally surviiving the years when we had 2 Labradors! It is still a powerful machine. Only trouble is that it is very heavy!

Dee
cashew

Post by cashew »

My wife wanted a cordless vacuum cleaner last year and we decided on a Hoover bought here. Initially suction was reasonable but after three months despite cleaning out various filters, the motor only whined and gave no suction. Replaced under guarantee, the second one lasted less than three months when the motor again just whined and the shop swapped it for a dear old Henry! Not cordless of course but with 30 feet of mains cable, it has amazing suction compared to the cordless and the filter is large and not difficult to empty. End of cordless for me!!
JimX

Post by JimX »

As I posted above if you purchased here on the island you would at least have warranty when problems do arise at times, if you bought a Vac from the UK you would be up a gum tree, it is worth the extra in purchase cost I feel to buy locally at times.
Jim.