New pub peyia

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
manxie

New pub peyia

Post by manxie »

Why I appreciate all the good work British legion does for serving and ex service personnel I do think you are asking for some unwanted trouble cyprus was ruled by the British as a colony and a lot of cypriots will see this as waving a red rag at a bull while their is just fund raising kept on an informal nature and armistice day respected when in rome
manxie

Re: New pub peyia

Post by manxie »

Sorry in reference to article in on line cyprus mailo
emgee

Post by emgee »

Having just read the article, I tend to agree with "CostasApacket' s comments".

I wish them well but feel it's a retrograde step for Communal Relations with the locals.

Where is it, not an address, which area or next to which building?

Regards

Alan

:oops:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Should this be in the Puzzle section :-)
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The British Legion does a good job. Funds are needed for veterans from many different areas where conflicts have taken place. Soldiers and their families, some now in their twilight years badly need assistance since the British Govt is and always has been very poor in its support for ex servicemen.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Just over five weeks ago a brand-new themed pub opened in Peyia in support of the Royal British Legion in Paphos.

The venue is adorned with memorabilia relating to the British forces and the Royal British Legion (RBL) and the idea is to establish a venture which aims to raise funds for the charity and become the recognised ‘home’ of the Royal British Legion in Paphos.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/08/15/a-ne ... sh-legion/
El tel

Post by El tel »

Out of curiosity where is it ?

Terry
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I can certainly see why the local Cypriots wouldn't like it at all.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

El tel wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:07 pm Out of curiosity where is it ?

Terry
On the coast road heading towards St George, it is on the left just after Paliomonastiro and just before the EKO petrol station. Think it used to be a snack bar type restaurant there before.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Somewhere to now avoid. Like the UKCLA or whatever it’s called. Why people want something so “British” particularly in a country we used to occupy. Then something based around those occupiers! I know there are a lot of ex forces in Cyprus and that’s fine. But don’t scrape a scab.

It’s like people marching in Derry with Soldier 7 and Parstrooper uniforms.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

No Jimgward it isn’t. No uniforms are worn. There are a lot of British ex- service men who have retired in Cyprus as you say, which is why the British Legion is here. They have been here for years and previously have rented various buildings in Paphos as their headquarters for the club. No fuss was caused. They need to raise funds for their welfare work with the British forces. Their Remembrance Day Services held every year are popular and are very well attended. They are held at Paphos Harbour and in the middle of Peyia itself. They don’t appear to upset anyone.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Quote, They dont appear to upset anyone, because its a solemn and dignified event, in my opinion this pub smacks of jingoistic, last days of the Raj, the fuzzy wuzzys, don't like it up em.....leave that sh*t to the British party and football hooligans
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

What a shame you feel like that. The RBL has absolutely nothing to do with the RAJ... I don’t know what your nationality is WHL, but the Cypriot have their own welfare facilities for their elderly EOKA members. Many of the British ex servicemen who have served their country,( and their families) are either disabled as a result of injuries sustained on active military service for their country, or they are elderly retired service men or women. All can fall on hard times and are badly in need of support and sometimes financial assistance. Why do you consider it wrong for the RBL to try to raise funds which are needed to help them? The members of RBL meet together for social activities which also help to raise funds.

It is very sad that it seems to be fashionable for some people to decry their loyalty to their Queen and Country,

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It's nothing about loyalty to Queen and Country and everything about showing respect to your hosts.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:55 pm What a shame you feel like that. The RBL has absolutely nothing to do with the RAJ... I don’t know what your nationality is WHL, but the Cypriot have their own welfare facilities for their elderly EOKA members. Many of the British ex servicemen who have served their country,( and their families) are either disabled as a result of injuries sustained on active military service for their country, or they are elderly retired service men or women. All can fall on hard times and are badly in need of support and sometimes financial assistance. Why do you consider it wrong for the RBL to try to raise funds which are needed to help them? The members of RBL meet together for social activities which also help to raise funds.

It is very sad that it seems to be fashionable for some people to decry their loyalty to their Queen and Country,

Dee
Im as British as you are, but I fail to see what that's got to do with anything, secondly I agree with every thing you say re the welfare of servicemen, no where have I said it is wrong to collect funds for our servicemen, but I think tne country should be looking after these people and not relying on tin collections I don't agree with Jingoistic themed pubs, as for the queen the sooner this medieval institution is dumped into the dustbin of history the better.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Queen and ~Country - my goodness, there are a growing huge number who see the Royalty as there are, parasites who feed on the money of others. Harry, who I though might have been down-to-earth, takes 4 private’s jet flights in 2 weeks, 2 to lecture us all about global warming. These people dont need our loyalty and support, they need our condemnation, Including faux loyalty like the other ‘celebrities’ who attended Harry’s bare-footed speech.
I had time for the Queen, Anne, Charlie and his boys before, but that’s disappeared. Parasite is the best work for them.
Last edited by Jimgward on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Dominic, in what way are we not displaying respect to our "hosts"?
Jon.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't know how to answer that. If you can't see it I don't know how I could possibly explain it to you in a way you would understand.

That sounds like a cop-out answer but I am sincere, and I don't mean it in a derogatory way.
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

WHL wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm Quote, They dont appear to upset anyone, because its a solemn and dignified event, in my opinion this pub smacks of jingoistic, last days of the Raj, the fuzzy wuzzys, don't like it up em.....leave that sh*t to the British party and football hooligans
Have you been in the pub to see whether it 'smacks of jingoistic, last days of the Raj, the fuzzy wuzzys, don't like it up em.....leave that sh*t to the British party and football hooligans' ?

30,000 Cypriots served in the British Army in WWII.

Cyprus President Glafcos Clerides served in the Royal Air Force and in 1942 his airplane was shot down over Germany and he was captured. He remained a prisoner of war until the end of the war. His name was mentioned in dispatches for distinguished services.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I learned that the 30,000 Cypriots served in the British Army in WW2, because they were promised independence.
Louise :)