BHC at Paphos airport this Wednesday

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mrblobby

BHC at Paphos airport this Wednesday

Post by Mrblobby »

British High Commission staff will be at Paphos airport this Wed 7 Aug from 11.00 - 15.00 to answer questions from UK nationals about residency, healthcare and Brexit. Look out for our pop-up booth. Click on picture for link .

(Give me a wave , flying out for holidays ). ;)

Last edited by Mrblobby on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Re: BHC at Paphos airport this Wednesday

Post by WHL »

Wouldnt it be better if they had a booth in town somewhere. Where more expats could access them. rather than in the airport
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I thought exactly the same.. The vast majority of people at the airport will surely be holiday makers.
And yes I am aware that Brexit will affect them also...
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Harry123 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am
WHL wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:52 pm Wouldnt it be better if they had a booth in town somewhere. Where more expats could access them. rather than in the airport
Wherever they set up shop, let us hope they don't again give out duff info!
Harry.

The problem they have is , until we know what's happening with Brexit, it's mainly guess work, all ifs and buts, deal/ no deal etc, until things are signed and delivered , no one knows .
WHL

Post by WHL »

Harry123 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:09 am
WHL wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:32 am
Harry123 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am

Wherever they set up shop, let us hope they don't again give out duff info!
Harry.

The problem they have is , until we know what's happening with Brexit, it's mainly guess work, all ifs and buts, deal/ no deal etc, until things are signed and delivered , no one knows .
That is true, but previously they (BHC) have guessed at it and given duff advice (such as we MUST apply for MEU3 if we have MEU1).
Best thing BHC could do right now is NOTHING.
Harry.
They can't win, if they say nothing, then people would say, what's the point of them, if they give advise, then people moan .
WHL

Post by WHL »

WHL

Post by WHL »

Why do you need a register, when we are all European citizens? Cocktail parties are PR events, held by every country on the planet, in one form or another .
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The previous High Commissioner about a couple of years ago held many outreach meetings in the major Cyprus towns. I am on a Portugal forum and they are having meetings with the public now, just wish there was some coordination between the EU countries. Have done everything I can with regards to officialdom and now just watching the exchange rate and hoping someone will wave a magic wand to increase it by a significant amount soon.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes,the Governor of the Bank of England has also painted a gloomy financial picture of a no deal Brexit, which looks most likely to be the outcome. For those who want to leave the EU in October there is hardly any time left to do anything else. Also the EU’s present hard line attitude suggests they are very unwilling to re open the previous Brexit negotiations.
It looks as if it will be a hard time for the UK with possibly factories closing or moving to Europe. There may be job losses too. At present there is little in the way of positive news to encourage a rise in the exchange rate of sterling. Which is making peoples holidays more expensive, and hard for expats needing to change sterling into euros.

I don’t know why Harry keeps banging on about the MEU 1 and 3. Whether British expats have them or not, it has seemed logical to me to protect myself as far as possible by getting a Cyprus Residents permit. We were told some time ago that it will be easier to convert the MEU 3 to whatever form the Cyprus Govt decides following the Brexit-
When we will cease to be covered by EU law being no long members of the EU.

Incidentally, in the event of an emergency requiring evacuation from the island, I was told by the BHC, that with Paphos Airport being the nearest to Paphos we would be evacuated from there and not from Akrotiri.
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wonder WHAT emergency would make ex pats leave their home, and belongings, and leave the island.
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I think the reference to Akrotiri was jokingly meant , that bhc staff would be flown out on military planes .
WHL

Post by WHL »

Harry123 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:43 am
trevnhil wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:42 pm I wonder WHAT emergency would make ex pats leave their home, and belongings, and leave the island.
Another Middle East war, like the previous Iran<>Iraq war.
Harry.
How many expats were evacuated from Cyprus, during the last Iran.Iraq wars, i'll tell you, a big fat zero.
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:42 pm I wonder WHAT emergency would make ex pats leave their home, and belongings, and leave the island.
Not being able to see Eastenders, perhaps :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Harry123 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:46 am
Mrblobby wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:10 pm I think the reference to Akrotiri was jokingly meant , that bhc staff would be flown out on military planes .
No I was not joking. In the event of a Middle East war commercial flights would cease. Evacuation of British Citizens
would have to be arranged by the UK Government - probably from Akrotiri.
Harry.
With respect, do you make this stuff up, as you go along..... how many commercial airlines, ceased flying to Cyprus, when the Gulf war etc, were going on?.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Harry, have you got an MEU 3?
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

WHL
I can only speak as I find and I tend to agree with Harry.
I remember when the Iranians crossed the Shat Al Arab into Iraq and it looked as if they were going to sweep down into Kuwait where we were working. Our Embassy told us to try and do a runner to the Saudi Border if the Iranians crossed the border wereas the Americans moved a warship up just offshore from Mina Ahmadi. The Americans were provided with detailed evacuation instructions and contact numbers; we were given nothing.
The High Commission is closed for Cypriot Holidays and British holidays, good job if you can get it and try calling up there, they won't let you in. Many times when applying for visas for my wife they made me wait outside the gates; I was with a Britih gentleman in his seventies who was made to stand outside as well and he fainted in the heat and when I asked for water the Security refused to help; nice people, not.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:33 am WHL
I can only speak as I find and I tend to agree with Harry.
I remember when the Iranians crossed the Shat Al Arab into Iraq and it looked as if they were going to sweep down into Kuwait where we were working. Our Embassy told us to try and do a runner to the Saudi Border if the Iranians crossed the border wereas the Americans moved a warship up just offshore from Mina Ahmadi. The Americans were provided with detailed evacuation instructions and contact numbers; we were given nothing.
The High Commission is closed for Cypriot Holidays and British holidays, good job if you can get it and try calling up there, they won't let you in. Many times when applying for visas for my wife they made me wait outside the gates; I was with a Britih gentleman in his seventies who was made to stand outside as well and he fainted in the heat and when I asked for water the Security refused to help; nice people, not.

Jim

Jim you were in the middle east, I get the need to get you out, Harry was talking about expats living in Cyprus, and being evacuated in a case of a middle east war, totally different scenario .
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Was anyone here in 1974 and what happened then?

The incident about the man fainting was outside the Embassy in Nicosia; in all the dealings I've had with them (and friends have the same opinion) is that we are just an inconvenience.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:42 am Was anyone here in 1974 and what happened then?

The incident about the man fainting was outside the Embassy in Nicosia; in all the dealings I've had with them (and friends have the same opinion) is that we are just an inconvenience.

Jim
Jim my comments were only regards evacuation, I haven't had any dealings with them, so I can't comment, but I except what you say, regards your dealings with them.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Well saw the booth , but didn’t bother to chat , could have done though because flight has been delayed by 5 hours !!