Message from the B.H.C.-important

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Message from the B.H.C.-important

Post by Lincoln »

The British High Commissioner to Cyprus visited Paphos on Tuesday to participate in a live radio show to encourage any remaining British nationals who have yet to apply for residency status, to do so ahead of a looming Brexit.
Paphos district has the largest number of British ex-pat residents on the island, in particular living in areas such as Peyia, Kamares and Tala. Many have yet to regularise their status in Cyprus, despite much media coverage to do so.
High Commissioner, Stephen Lillie, said during the show on Rock FM that although some ex-pats have been given different information regarding their status, the official line remains very clear.

“Sometimes people get mixed messages but the message that we (BHC) have had from immigration in Nicosia is very clear, get what you’re entitled to. Initially, get a MEU1, once you have been here for five years and qualify for permanent residency, get a MEU3,” he said.
Listeners phoned in with a number of questions, such as how Brexit would affect living in Cyprus, would previous documentation permit them to stay in Cyprus and was there a real need for them to be updated?
“Whatever anyone may have said in the past about alternative documents, alien registration certificates, any colour books or stamps in passports, it is now about getting a MUE1 or MEU3. I know that people get a bit fed up about us going on about this, but it’s important to protect your position here,” he said.
He also stressed the need to help and assist others where needed to ensure all British ex-pats living in Cyprus have the correct paperwork.
“If you have friends, relatives or neighbours that need help getting to the immigration department or help with documents, please give them any assistance that you can.”
He assured that after Britain leaves the EU, British residents that were in Cyprus before Brexit will have their rights protected, life will go on very much the same as it does now. People will be able to work, study, access the healthcare system if eligible, own property and run business, but added that to do that, Brits will have to prove that they are legally resident in Cyprus and that the rules on that are very clear.
“Whatever old documents you’ve got, you still need to get a MEU1 or MEU3. One reason for that is to guarantee your rights post-Brexit. That includes coming in and going out of the airport. When you come in after Brexit, you will show your document and won’t get a stamp in your passport that is only valid for 90 days. Also, to access the new public health system Gesy, you need a MEU1 or a MEU3,” he noted.
Lillie said that there will also be a difference as to how long Brits will have to get their paperwork in order following a deal or no-deal Brexit. If Britain leaves the European Union with a deal, British nationals will have up until the end of 2020 to complete a registration application, but in the case of no deal, that will have to be undertaken much sooner.
“The important thing is put your application in if you haven’t please do it,” he said.
Earlier this month, parliament passed legislation regulating the right of UK nationals and their families to move and reside freely in the Republic of Cyprus in the event of a no-deal Brexit, when the UK leaves the EU on October 31.
The law establishes the legislative framework for the safeguarding of the right of UK nationals, including citizens of Northern Ireland, to remain or to choose to reside in the Republic of Cyprus should the UK leave the European Union without a withdrawal agreement.
The High Commissioner followed up his radio spot with a meeting with the mayor of Paphos, Phedonas Phedonos, at the town hall. This is the first time Lillie has met Phedonos, since taking up office in Nicosia in April 2018. The pair had a general discussion about Paphos projects, such as Paphos as a smart city, tourism from Britain and matters affecting British residents.
The High Commissioner continued his programme in Paphos with a visit to the Paphos chamber of commerce, EVE, where he discussed trade, investment, and tourism, including the implications of Brexit.
All things are possible
Jim B

Re: Message from the B.H.C.-important

Post by Jim B »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:51 am...........He assured that after Britain leaves the EU, British residents that were in Cyprus before Brexit will have their rights protected, life will go on very much the same as it does now. People will be able to work, study, access the healthcare system if eligible, own property and run business, but added that to do that, Brits will have to prove that they are legally resident in Cyprus and that the rules on that are very clear.........
How can he guarantee or assure us of anything, he's just quoting the UK government line, it's up to the ROC.

People can't be so naive to believe all that guff, or can they?

Jim
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 pm
Lincoln wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:51 am...........He assured that after Britain leaves the EU, British residents that were in Cyprus before Brexit will have their rights protected, life will go on very much the same as it does now. People will be able to work, study, access the healthcare system if eligible, own property and run business, but added that to do that, Brits will have to prove that they are legally resident in Cyprus and that the rules on that are very clear.........
How can he guarantee or assure us of anything, he's just quoting the UK government line, it's up to the ROC.

Jim
He got the Information from the Immigration Minister in Nicosia. So I would believe him.
All things are possible
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Wherever I have lived, I have always made sure I complied with the rules and laws of every country - peace of mind! In some EU countries, the fact I was classified as resident entitled me to more facilities at lower charges than those applicable to non-residents so it was worth the paperwork and fees involved, none of which ever amounted to much.
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

This is all very well, however my husband and I applied for our MEU3 last September and have all the paper work to say we have paid etc. We are still waiting for our certificate nearly one year later.
We have email the immigration office in Nicosia no reply (surprise, surprise) and have been to the Paphis immigration to ask them why we haven't received it yet, only to get the Cypriot Shrug after waiting about an hour.
We will now email the BHC to see what him comes up with.
Anyone got any other ideas apart from Gwenny and why should we have to pay her to find out.
So all this talk of you must get the MEU1 and MEU3 makes us very worried.
We have the MEU1 and are registered with Gesy.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Some expats have been living here for years, without registering , working cash in hand, using their EHIC card for hospital visits etc, and laughing at the honest ones who have done things by the book, good luck for the future guys, you will need it
josef k

Post by josef k »

Tremigirl wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:49 pm This is all very well, however my husband and I applied for our MEU3 last September and have all the paper work to say we have paid etc. We are still waiting for our certificate nearly one year later.
We have email the immigration office in Nicosia no reply (surprise, surprise) and have been to the Paphis immigration to ask them why we haven't received it yet, only to get the Cypriot Shrug after waiting about an hour.
Anyone got any other ideas apart from Gwenny and why should we have to pay her to find out.
I was waiting quite a while for my MEU3 so I went to Nicosia and found the office where it is dealt with. Although it was unoccupied, I managed to get a charming young member of staff to assist me in searching the office for it. After a few minutes I had it and made my way back to Paphos.

A smile, politeness, and a bit of a nerve often works.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:39 pm
Jim B wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 pm

Jim
He got the Information from the Immigration Minister in Nicosia. So I would believe him.
Please rèad my last sentence.

No agreement has been signed between Cyprus or UK or EU and what the BHC is stating does not relate to a No Deal Brexit. As stated he is just repeating the UK government position and all is dependent on a signed agreement.
You don't have to take my word for it, the information is out there if you care to look.

Jim
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Les Bean wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:33 pm I think continuation of permanent residence status is dependent on the UK reciprocating, which again I believe Johnson has failed to guarantee
Yes that's right and that bit keeps being missed off the announcements. The recent law was ratifying the fact that Cyprus could take into consideration whether or not there was a reciprocal arrangement when agreeing to afford those rights to UK citizens. If the UK doesn't give e same rights to Cypriot citizens then Cyprus is not obliged to give those rights to UK citizens. This will be the same for each EU country. It will boil down to whether the UK wants to sell out it's citizens abroad or not but if not, it will need to afford the same rights to EU citizens - kind of making a mockery of what many thought they were voting for.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

A very informative post Jeanne.

Many Thanks

Jim
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Happy in Cyprus
I was not saying that I shouldn't pay Gwenny for her work as we have had her do things for us in the past and she is wonderful.
I was actually moaning about the immigration in Nicosia not replying to our emails and we know if we asked Gwenny she would be able to sort it out and of course it would be worth every penny but why should we have to resort to that when a simple reply for the immigration would answer our query.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

I,m not the worlds best academic but got the MEU3,s for the wife and myself which I thought was simple,cost 20 euros each and received them in 5 weeks.I cant understand what all the song and dance there is about getting them.Oh,and I,ve got no qualifications in life nor never passed an exam.I guess that those who pay someone else for getting the MEU3,s for them are paying for safety.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Tremigirl wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:49 pm This is all very well, however my husband and I applied for our MEU3 last September and have all the paper work to say we have paid etc. We are still waiting for our certificate nearly one year later.
I wouldn't get too worried about it, we waited a year for ours and did eventually get them. We were told by Immigration that the receipt provided on application confirms your status.

Jim
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Thank you Jim B, that has certainly put our minds at rest.
Yes we have all the documents from our application and receipt for the monies paid.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Tremigirl
it doesn't say MEU1 and MEU3 .It states MEU1. OR mMEU3