Paphos’ historic buildings lit up (photos)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Paphos’ historic buildings lit up (photos)

Post by memory man »

Local officials and crowds of people gathered in Paphos’ October 28 Square on Thursday evening for a ceremony to mark the night lighting of historic buildings and monuments near the town hall.

Paphos mayor Phedonos Phedonos spoke of the beauty and harmony of the complex buildings and added the municipality would step up its efforts to further upgrade the historical centre.

The municipal gardens will be redesigned and upgraded and with the addition of a church which according to the mayor will render it a ‘jewel’, while the listed building of the old police station will be used to showcase the town’s history. The surrounding area will be converted into a thematic park and may included an open air theatre, he said.

https://in-cyprus.com/paphos-historic-b ... up-photos/
Mark

Re: Paphos’ historic buildings lit up (photos)

Post by Mark »

Looks fantastic!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It certainly looks good.
Trev..
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

So they are adding a church now in the municipal garden instead of the previously discussed cathedral?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Maybe the mayor is offering less space to put it in? Why does Paphos need another big church anyway,. It already has 2 of them....

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that the floodlit Town Hall looks so dramatic maybe it's new use is as a film set! It’s a very small town hall anyway as these things go.

Dee
gemaba

Post by gemaba »

Totally agree with you. A wonderful job by the Mayor. x
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I saw the Mayor being interviewed outside the Museum, he's been having a war of words with the Ministry of Antiquities over the time it's been closed due to it being refurbished.
I like the idea of an open air theatre, we often go to the one up in Limmasol.
He's involved in everything but is unpopular with many of the locals.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Actually although the lit up buildings look very nice, if there is still any spare money in the kitty, I wish it could be spent in improving the lighting on the main roads in and out of Paphos as the existing lights do not light up the roads adequately leaving patches of black shadow between the lamp posts. Given that most pedestrians are dressed head to toe in black if makes them harder for drivers to see. Maybe this helps to account for some the casualties which are reported to happen on the roads in the hours of darkness.
Dee
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

The building look fabulous with the lights ......
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC, when driving in and out of Paphos from /to the motorway road lighting is very much better than it is on parts of both the Tomb of the Kings Rd, or the Polis Rd for example, both busy main roads. It was those I was thinking of. Surely street lights can be fitted to shine on the area below them by the road rather than the sky above. No, I don’t like driving at night unless I have to, but sometimes, particularly in winter,r it is unavoidable.

My comment about some other Paphos roads needing better lighting is also relevant to road safety
Dee