Argaka mukhtar stops conservationists again

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Argaka mukhtar stops conservationists again

Post by Paphos Life »

Experts carrying out a sea turtle protection programme at a protected beach in Argaka, were on Thursday prevented by community leader Spyros Pelopidas and several locals from placing cages above nests....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Yioula

Re: Argaka mukhtar stops conservationists again

Post by Yioula »

A greater force is behind this............
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yioula wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:07 pm A greater force is behind this............
Really and what might that be?
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

One could say that trouble is teeing off there.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Why is the mayor not intervening in this ridiculous standoff??
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Smudger,
I think that Polis has its own mayor....
It also looks as if the Polis area is more concerned with promoting tourism to their area
than protecting the turtles which is a great shame. But equally tourism must be the life blood of the coastal area, so no one is showing much interest in the poor Turtle breeding and rearing its young.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I was living there near the coastal stretch from Limni pier until St.Barbara beach until 2010 and the facts are, that due to the heavy pollution from Limni Mine activities, I have never seen turtles there. Also at St.Barbara beach where I had at least 50 times fish and chips that time, nobody had seen any turtles there as well, unlike at Latchi harbour where it happened several times that tiny turtles one could see under the tables of the Porto Latchi Restaurant at lunch time....

If turtles like that beaches for a sudden, I don't know. Perhaps the break-water works in the Latchi bay made them move more to the East?

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Turtles certainly nest om the other side of Limni Pier. We regularly see their tracks.
Andros

Post by Andros »

Ive visited Argaka many times in the last 5 years and have seen the nests and the hatchlings. I have also seen the nests where the protective cages were placed. 2 years ago there were approx 30 on the stretch by Santa Barbara. I have also seen the hatchlings making there way to the ocean late evening when I did a beach walk. Beautiful to see.
Asteri

Post by Asteri »

Many turtles nest along this stretch of beach there is absolutely no doubt about it! But the argument is much deeper than what is being reported. It has nothing to do with preventing the turtles from nesting but to do with the local mukhta wanting local people trained and involved with the protection of the turtle nests. Unfortunately things have gotten out of hand.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Asteri wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:15 am Many turtles nest along this stretch of beach there is absolutely no doubt about it! But the argument is much deeper than what is being reported. It has nothing to do with preventing the turtles from nesting but to do with the local mukhta wanting local people trained and involved with the protection of the turtle nests. Unfortunately things have gotten out of hand.
Could you elaborate a bit more , regards this please.
Asteri

Post by Asteri »

The Muhkta wants local people to be trained to do the job and to work together with the official team. Even though there has been a lot of bad press recently there is no doubt that he is aware of the importance of this area as a turtle nesting ground.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Asteri wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:52 am The Muhkta wants local people to be trained to do the job and to work together with the official team. Even though there has been a lot of bad press recently there is no doubt that he is aware of the importance of this area as a turtle nesting ground.
Thank you, well that changes things.
Asteri

Post by Asteri »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:22 am I was living there near the coastal stretch from Limni pier until St.Barbara beach until 2010 and the facts are, that due to the heavy pollution from Limni Mine activities, I have never seen turtles there. Also at St.Barbara beach where I had at least 50 times fish and chips that time, nobody had seen any turtles there as well, unlike at Latchi harbour where it happened several times that tiny turtles one could see under the tables of the Porto Latchi Restaurant at lunch time....

If turtles like that beaches for a sudden, I don't know. Perhaps the break-water works in the Latchi bay made them move more to the East?

Max
I’m surprised that the turtles were out during the day when they usually hatch at night, is this I wonder because the illegal construction on the beach by Porto Latchi confused them with the lighting! It is an absolute crime that their habitat is being destroyed. I also note that Mr Averfof was one of the first to comment on the latest happenings in Argaka, the brother of Mr Porto Latchi no less!
If I ever visited a restaurant and was presented with this sight I would immediately involve an environmental organization! Absolutely shocking!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Asteri wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:57 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:22 am I was living there near the coastal stretch from Limni pier until St.Barbara beach until 2010 and the facts are, that due to the heavy pollution from Limni Mine activities, I have never seen turtles there. Also at St.Barbara beach where I had at least 50 times fish and chips that time, nobody had seen any turtles there as well, unlike at Latchi harbour where it happened several times that tiny turtles one could see under the tables of the Porto Latchi Restaurant at lunch time....

Max
I’m surprised that the turtles were out during the day when they usually hatch at night, is this I wonder because the illegal construction on the beach by Porto Latchi confused them with the lighting! It is an absolute crime that their habitat is being destroyed. I also note that Mr Averfof was one of the first to comment on the latest happenings in Argaka, the brother of Mr Porto Latchi no less!
If I ever visited a restaurant and was presented with this sight I would immediately involve an environmental organization! Absolutely shocking!
When this happened that little turtles were walking under the tables of Porto Latchi Restaurant there was no massive construction (illegal or not!) except the main stone building, near the beach. They put some tables and umbrellas up at the beach that time (ca 1987) to have lunch there. In the night only indoors was electricity and lights....
Of course Mr. Averof (not Averfof), born in Argaka, previous Mayor of Polis and President of the governing DISY party, one of the biggest figures in Cypriot politics, has to comment on the situation in Argaka. His brother Nestoras is running the Porto Latchi Restaurant since it was converted from a carob store house in 1984, so what is the problem with him then... :roll:

Max
Asteri

Post by Asteri »

From my understanding turtle conservation began in the late 70’s. But thank you for the lesson in politics from my country. I remember Latchi very well as I grew up in the area and know both Nestoras and Averof who was in my class at school.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I remember when we lived in Drousia, MOH and I walked along the beach at Argaka, we did see a turtle, or what was left of it, just the shell, but it was a large one. So sad to see.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Asteri wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:52 am The Muhkta wants local people to be trained to do the job and to work together with the official team. Even though there has been a lot of bad press recently there is no doubt that he is aware of the importance of this area as a turtle nesting ground.
Is the Santa Barbara Beach they have erected in contravention to the Natura 2000 status? I was under the impression (and I may well be wrong) that there weren't supposed to be any developments like that along that stretch of the coast. If you could clarify this point it would be very helpful.
Asteri

Post by Asteri »

My understanding is that they have permits for the beds. I do know that the management of St Barbara are true animal lovers who respect the turtle nests. Even though I am not a lover of any development that might interfere with the nesting area I cannot criticise their respect for the turtle nesting.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's good to know.

Sounds like they need to sit around a table with the people responsible for organising the conservationists.