Iran captures British Tanker

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Iran captures British Tanker

Post by Dominic »

From Reuters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mide ... UE295?il=0

Iran's Revolutionary Guards say they captured British oil tanker: Iran state TV
1 MIN READ

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said they have captured British oil tanker Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz, Iranian state television reported on Friday.

The IRGC seized the tanker at the request of the maritime authorities in the Iranian province of Hormozgan for “not following international maritime regulations,” state television cited an IRGC statement as saying.

The tanker was taken to a coastal area and turned over to the authorities to take the necessary legal steps, state television said.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Maggie B

Re: Iran captures British Tanker

Post by Maggie B »

Don't like the sound of this. 😣

MB
smudger

Post by smudger »

Totally agree, this is not good.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Tit for Tat and all that. To be serious, without the Americans, has Britain got the navy/power to do anything about it?
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Lets see if the British Bulldog has any teeth left.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:21 am Tit for Tat and all that. To be serious, without the Americans, has Britain got the navy/power to do anything about it?
Probably right on that WHL and the Iranians know it :roll:
smudger

Post by smudger »

Trump has already declared his allegiance.

Value of that could be questionable!!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I’d we thought Iraq was bad, Iran would be catastrophic. Millions killed, every Muslim hating the west. The world would go into recession and be a far less safe place. Blame trump and his lackies In the Tory party
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Idiots playing with our safety.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Where were the two British warships that are supposed to be in the area. If two warships are not enough, why aren't more being sent to be able to provide sufficient protection to British shipping passing through the Straits of Hormuz.

If we can't do this why are we playing at/pretending to being a world military/naval power. Spending a lot of money on the military that fails to produce something fit for UK's global military aspirations is just a waste of money.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Varky, we have carriers with no planes, destroyers that can’t sail in warm waters, and we live on an island with a massive border, about to leave the EU, with no way to even protect our fishing rights at home. We are supposed to have a DEFENCE force, yet we don’t even defend our own borders.... yet the leavers will pooh-pooh the strength we have in the EU, of the support of 27 countries.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Hic agree on that suni muslims are good people and my mates are suniys and hate Iran. Also never worry about what is above the water as below is the tridant.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Did you see the item posted on BBC News with the recording of the radio exchanges between the Stena Impero, the British Navy frigate MS Montrose and the Iranian vessel telling them to change course?

"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:50 pm Agree Jim. The UK's military has been pared back to nothing, just like the Police force, education and social services. I hate to make a political point in this worthwhile debate, but what does Boris promise in the hope of being elected Prime Minister? Tax cuts for the wealthy! Just about sums him up :evil:

Agree also about the EU. The French have promised their full support, as have the Germans.

One thing I do differ on: much of the Middle East is Sunni Muslim. 90% of Muslims in Iran are Shi'a. Sunni and Shi'a do not get on and I believe Sunni considerably outnumber Shi'a, so my belief is that much of the Middle East would not be sorry to see Iran obliterated, to say nothing of Israel. But for a more expert take on this I'd love to hear Andreas (Lofos5's) opinion.
Don't worry Happy in Cyprus,if the UK had to go to war with Iran ( which I hope not ) I,m sure you will be glad that...….Mr Trump.....will come to our assistance. :shock:
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

I am not going to start a debate here before my dinner but saying that Sunnis are good and Shias are bad is a terrible simplification and utterly wrong...
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I've never understood why pipelines were never run across the Oman Isthmus to Fujeria Port in the Arabian Sea to cut out tankers having to traverse the Straits of Hormuz.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:20 am I've never understood why pipelines were never run across the Oman Isthmus to Fujeria Port in the Arabian Sea to cut out tankers having to traverse the Straits of Hormuz.

Jim
Could it be, they would be exposed to attacks?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

There are huge pipelines crossing the whole width of the KSA to the Red Sea and Duqm in Oman is prepared for Saudi crude export at the moment too. Problem is that despite being Arab “brothers” none of these states actually trust each other. The GCC is essentially dead with Qatar being boycotted for more than 2 years by Bahrain, KSA and the UAE whilst Kuwait and Oman stay out of it (and side with Doha).

A.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Andreas
Yes, even Abu Dhabi and Dubai were squaring up to each other with their armies a number of years ago.

Jim