Work underway to create Paphos’ biggest urban park

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Work underway to create Paphos’ biggest urban park

Post by memory man »

Work got underway on Monday to create the biggest urban park in Paphos and one of the biggest in Cyprus.

Paphos municipality workers started clearing the ‘Pembes Wood’ which stretches from the back of the central Papantoniou supermarket to Char. Trikoupi street to transform it into a 21,000 square metre park.

Tons of rubbish, arbitrarily erected sheds and other material is being removed as the area has been abandoned for some 50 years.

Forestry Department officials were on site as the work got underway.

https://in-cyprus.com/work-underway-to- ... rban-park/
Kili01

Re: Work underway to create Paphos’ biggest urban park

Post by Kili01 »

This land is adjacent to Moutallos which was a Turkish Cypriot area prior to 1975 when many of the population fled, or disappeared. There is a large abandoned Turkish cemetery not very faraway. I wonder who the land here belongs to now? Over the years the area behind “Papa’s” has deteriorated, it looks as if no one has tried to maintain it. While turning it into a park is a good idea, does it still belong to Turkish Cypriots? If so, I hope that they will keep all the trees and remove all the litter and other waste that has been dumped around this area but let the park be as natural as possible. Not fill it soulless modern constructions and lots of concrete and gaudy plastic child friendly toys.

Dee.
josef k

Post by josef k »

As the area is called Pembes Wood, and pembes is Turkish for pink, I think we can assume it is probably Turkish Cypriot land. Which would also explain why suck a large plot in the centre of Paphos has not been developed.
I believe the law states that any Turkish Cypriot with land in the south can claim it back if they reside in the south for 6 months. I am surprised this hasn't happened as it must be worth millions. There again, I am even more surprised that the TC owner of the land used to build much of Larnaka airport hasn't appeared to claim it back.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Yet another great initiative - bravo.

Whatever approach they will take the result will be better than the current wasteland which really is an eyesore.

A.