Blue aura around the moon

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
smudger

Blue aura around the moon

Post by smudger »

Can't recall seeing this before, but just went out closing shutters etc befor retiring, looked up at the moon and there's a beautiful blue aura around it. Sadly my iPad is not up to capturing it, totally lost. My camera hasn't been used for donkeys years so by the time I charge it both the moon and the aura will have disappeared!! Shame, as its beautiful, no idea what's causing it.
I look to one of you better informed skywatchers.

Al would have known 😪
STELIOSBWFC

Re: Blue aura around the moon

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Think it is ice in the atmosphere surrounding the moon. Please correct me if I am wrong.
smudger

Post by smudger »

I've no idea Stelios, but ice in the temperatures the world is experiencing at the moment??
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

smudger wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:20 pm Can't recall seeing this before, but just went out closing shutters etc befor retiring, looked up at the moon and there's a beautiful blue aura around it. Sadly my iPad is not up to capturing it, totally lost. My camera hasn't been used for donkeys years so by the time I charge it both the moon and the aura will have disappeared!! Shame, as its beautiful, no idea what's causing it.
I look to one of you better informed skywatchers.

Al would have known 😪
Perhaps something to do with the partial eclipse, which will happen tonight...

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/cyprus/nicosia

Max
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

STELIOSBWFC wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:45 pm Think it is ice in the atmosphere surrounding the moon. Please correct me if I am wrong.
It's caused by ice crystals in the Earth's atmosphere.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Just off to bed, watching the final news of the night which mentioned the eclipse. Popped out on to patio and there it was. Just love this stuff. Awesome! Sorry, no technology capable of filming it, but loads on tv!!