The Pros and Cons of Fishing

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
boycott

The Pros and Cons of Fishing

Post by boycott »

Does the premises buy only sustainable only caught fish?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: First time: Marbled spinefoot for fish lunch

Post by cyprusmax47 »

boycott wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:46 am Does the premises buy only sustainable only caught fish?
If you mean Lavraki (Sea Bass) or Tsipoura (Sea Bream) both farmed near Limassol, then yes they buy also....

Max
boycott

Post by boycott »

So you will not be eating anything but farmed fish soon!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What do you mean?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
boycott

Post by boycott »

I mean that the only fish left in the sea off Cyprus will be farmed fish due to over fishing.
WHL

Post by WHL »

boycott wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:29 am I mean that the only fish left in the sea off Cyprus will be farmed fish due to over fishing.
What has this got to do with a fish restaurant revue?
boycott

Post by boycott »

WHL, it has a lot to do with the review as soon there will not be any fish left to eat.
WHL

Post by WHL »

boycott wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:35 am WHL, it has a lot to do with the review as soon there will not be any fish left to eat.
In your opinion,
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: The Pros and Cons of Fishing

Post by Dominic »

I've split this from Max's thread. By all means discuss fisheries policies in Cyprus, but not on review threads. It is unfair to burden a specific restaurant with the guilt or otherwise of an entire industry.

May I also remind everybody that we accept positive reviews only, for two reasons:

1. There are far better places to leave negative comments.
2. You might get sued.

And point 2 is a lot more likely than you might think.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Agreed re point two especially :-(
Trev..
boycott

Post by boycott »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:28 pm
boycott wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:35 am....it has a lot to do with the review as soon there will not be any fish left to eat.

Rollox!
Thank you HIC for that very articulate reply. The point I am making is that fish restaurants will not exist soon as all the fish will have been taken.
Perhaps you would like to disagree with the EU view on the state of fish stocks in the Mediterranean.

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/news/saving ... ish-stocks

Fish stocks in the Mediterranean Sea are deteriorating at an alarming rate. A recent analysis shows that 93% of the assessed fish stocks are overexploited, and a number of them are on the verge of depletion. In addition, the Mediterranean Sea has lost 41% of its marine mammals and 34% of the total fish population over the past 50 years.An estimated 10 000 to 12 000 marine species inhabit the Mediterranean Sea, but this extraordinary biodiversity is in grave danger, as it is threatened by pollution, climate change and overfishing. Further delays in concerted action could result in irreversible damage and a collapse of key stocks that are essential to the fisheries sector.Marine mammals and fish on the decline
In a study published in Nature's Scientific Reports, Joint Research Centre (JRC) scientists warn about pressures on the Mediterranean Sea that might push the ecosystem beyond the point of no return. The analysis looks at the historical changes in the Mediterranean Sea food web driven by environmental drivers and fishing efforts. It concludes that, over the past 50 years, the Mediterranean has lost 41% of the number of marine mammals and 34% of the total amount of fish. The largest reductions were found in the Western Mediterranean Sea and the Adriatic Sea (- 50%), while the reduction was much less in the Ionian Sea (- 8%).
The Mediterranean is vulnerableThe study concludes that the main driving force behind these changes has been the variation in the primary production within the Mediterranean Basin. Primary production refers to the photosynthetic activity of plants, whereby plants use sunlight to synthesise nutrients from carbon dioxide and water to create phytoplankton biomass, which forms the basis of the food web and fish reproduction. As the primary productivity of the Mediterranean Sea is naturally low, the entire Mediterranean Sea is characterised as a low-productivity ecosystem.
"These characteristics render the Mediterranean Sea highly vulnerable to impacts such as climate change, marine litter and invading alien species, and it is very easy to overfish the existing stocks. When fish stocks are fished intensively, they do not have the time to reproduce to keep up the population levels", says Jann Martinsohn, leader of the fisheries research group at the JRCFish stocks are overexploited
Scientists and fisheries experts who have been monitoring the situation over the years signal an alarming decline in fish stocks. An analysis carried out by the Scientific Technical Economic Committee for Fisheries (STECF), the European Commission's scientific advisory body in collaboration with the JRC, concludes that 93% of the assessed fish stocks in the Mediterranean Sea are currently over-exploited.
The analysis is based on the fisheries for which the data is available. The monitoring of fish stocks is hindered by lack of data for far too many fish stocks. A significant number of catches are still not legally recorded or the catches are from data-deficient stocks.Public database to monitor status of stocks
In order to bridge the knowledge gaps, the JRC has developed a public database to help monitor the status of fish stocks in the Mediterranean and Black Seas. The data is made available through an interactive online dashboard that allows stakeholders to compare and contrast several stock assessment variables such as fishing mortality, the weight of all individuals in a fish stock capable of reproducing (Spawning Stock Biomass), and trends in the dynamics of natural populations. The system also enables its users to filter the results by area, species and status.
A copy of the database will be included, for the first time, in the next release of in the RAM Legacy Stock Assessment Database: a compilation of fish stock assessment results for commercially exploited marine populations from around the world. This database provides a unique source of information to make comparisons between fisheries and stock status.MedFish4Ever Initiative
In light of the dire situation, the European Commission emphasises the need to act now. Last year, it launched the MedFish4Ever initiative to put the fisheries sector back on track by raising awareness, securing strong political leadership to rebuild a sustainable fisheries sector, and ensuring the strong commitment of all stakeholders to contribute to the long-term sustainability of fish stocks and the fisheries sector.The collection of fisheries data and scientific advice are indispensable in this process, in which the JRC plays a central role. Since 2007, the JRC has been collecting, compiling and assessing information on fisheries in the Mediterranean and Black Seas. The results of the assessments are documented in 36 JRC Science for Policy reports. The new public fish stock assessment database is based on these reports.

Also have a read of https://m.phys.org/news/2017-04-state-m ... tocks.html and https://oceana.org/blog/overfishing-and ... iterranean which are along similar lines as the EU.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Il have a bet with you that we will be eating fresh fish,, in a fish tavena here in Cyprus for many years to come
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It does happen more frequently than you think. As a forum owner I occasionally have to get involved, so have seen it second hand (ie nobody has sued Paphos Life, just people posting on it).

This is why, for instance, I close down threads where two businesses or a business and a person are having a row. There is a lot of bluster involved. I have quite a collection of pompous emails, from various businesses claiming I am in cahoots with their opponents. Often both sides in an argument will send me these. When I receive them I am usually a bit puzzled as I have no idea who the people involved actually are.

I even had a "Do you know who I am?" email from somebody once. I had no idea, and told them so. Never heard from them again after that.

In the summer time, especially, people get crankier than normal in the heat. It is better to step away from the keyboard and step in to a cool pool. Besides the pool is much more fun!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:04 am
Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:49 am I've split this from Max's thread. By all means discuss fisheries policies in Cyprus, but not on review threads. It is unfair to burden a specific restaurant with the guilt or otherwise of an entire industry.

May I also remind everybody that we accept positive reviews only, for two reasons:

1. There are far better places to leave negative comments.
2. You might get sued.

And point 2 is a lot more likely than you might think.
Possibly because it doesn't merit reporting but I've never seen any reporting of anyone being sued for libel in Cyprus. The track record of the courts would suggest both parties might be long gone before any result😂
Les.. In the past, I have been sued by a restaurant in the Paphos district for making a comment about them on a Paphos Forum..
They sued me for up to €20,000 for possible loss of business...

It is all in the past now, but the cost, and the worry are not worth it..
Trev..
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Not for one millisecond am I having a pop at you David Brown and I am sure you will continue to enjoy your sport. 😁

But, I have NEVER understood why people would do that. I went out in my Dads small boat off the North West Coast of Scotland and all we ever did was to go out and catch fish for our tea, whether it be mackerel, haddock, ling, cod or many other species. My Mother was also a whizz in shallow waters at catching mahoosive scallops with a long pole (hooky thing on the end) . . . . Looking through a glass from the surface of the water.

Fabulous memories. Unfortunately, it's when the big Klondykers came into our area, the whole thing went pear shaped. 😣

Maggie B
emgee

Post by emgee »

Ask Matron she knows all of us.

Alan