Buying a used car? be carefull.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Buying a used car? be carefull.

Post by Chaddy »

A friend of ours recently bought a used car,a private sale.All the transfer forms where filled in and signed by the local mukhtar,so far so good.On the way to the post office or what ever you have to do to get the car transferred into her name she lost the forms...Here,s where the fun starts :shock:
Well,go back to the seller of the car and he flatly refused to fill in new forms ( maybe understandable it would have taken him all of two minutes )The only thing she can do is SCRAP the car and loose all her money she paid.In fact the seller can say it was stolen :shock:
Wellcome to Cyprus.
The lesson please take care of documents.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Buying a used car? be carefull.

Post by Dominic »

Savvas at MS Autotrade will sort you out.

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/en ... auto_trade
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Chaddy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:10 pm A friend of ours recently bought a used car,a private sale.All the transfer forms where filled in and signed by the local mukhtar,so far so good.On the way to the post office or what ever you have to do to get the car transferred into her name she lost the forms...Here,s where the fun starts :shock:
Well,go back to the seller of the car and he flatly refused to fill in new forms ( maybe understandable it would have taken him all of two minutes )The only thing she can do is SCRAP the car and loose all her money she paid.In fact the seller can say it was stolen :shock:
Wellcome to Cyprus.
The lesson please take care of documents.
This is a sad story, and you do right to say in the heading... Be Careful...
However be fair. From the story the lady actually paid for the car before it was transferred into her name... That seems very foolhardy, as does losing the forms...
Also if it has not been transferred into her name, I cannot see how she can scrap it..
Also there is the insurance of the car that she will presumably have paid. I assume she will have lost that money too
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

I have purchased several motors from a local dealer, personally never had any problems, best I feel if you sell on go to a Notary who deals with transfers, be careful as always buying privately anywhere in the world, my dealer does all the paper work and even give you several years guarantee, PM me if you wish to know the dealers name.

You could use one of these but as you will have to transfer log books maybe Citizens advice Centre

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1RE ... :1,lf_ui:2

Also very sorry to hear of your problems. good luck.
Jim.