Law allows Brits to live in Cyprus in case of no deal Brexit

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mike strand2

Re: Law allows Brits to live in Cyprus in case of no deal Brexit

Post by mike strand2 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:37 am
mike strand2 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:06 pm
Does this mean that people who have been applying for MEU(1) or MEU(3) have been wasting their times and money? :shock:
With respect Mike, that's as daft as asking if you wasted money insuring your home or car, but did not make a claim during the insured period :roll:

I'd rather have a belt and braces strategy than not make any provision...and then live to regret it afterwards. I and our family now have an inalienable right to reside in Cyprus, whatever calamities arise as a consequence of Brexit.
If you think those pieces of paper give any of us irrevocable rights to live and work in Cyprus, think again! Admittedly, it would take a change in the law, but that's within the right of the Cyprus government. In the 1970's my passport had a visa from the American government that said I could have free passage into the USA for life. On one occasion I presented it on entry to an immigration official who promptly used a big red stamp with the word 'REVOKED'. I was furious, but it was explained that the government had simply changed the rules! :x

WHL

Post by WHL » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:17 pm

JimX wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:36 pm
WHL wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am
JimX wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 am
''There are less then twenty thousand Cypriots living in the UK mostly students''

Not according to these statistics. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+man ... e&ie=UTF-8

And this is just Greek Cypriots this does not include the Turkish Cypriots.
You keep bringing this up , but you are 100% wrong, the numbers you keep bringing up, are not Cypriot citizens, but British citizens of Cypriot descent, just the same as Irish, Afro Caribbean, etc etc, they were born in Britain and are as British as you and me, one more time they are not Cypriot citizens, and if any deal is done after Brexit re health etc, only the twenty thousand CYPRIOT citizens living in the UK will be in that equation.
Your correct WHL or what ever your real name is, in twenty years of Cyprus related forums I have mentioned it at least three times, you are wrong and those links prove it. Not that I have any problems with those real figures as I never go back to the UK, also half my local family are indeed Greek Cypriots.

Jeba is also right immigration in-riches most country's, as of course do the Brits here...less we forget.
With respect, you are talking rubbish, The three hundred thousand Cypriots you keep banging on about, are British Citizens, born and bred in the UK, it doesn't matter how many times you say it, you are 100% wrong..... there are less than Twenty thousands CYPRIOT CITIZENS living in the UK , the vast majority are students studying at UK universities. and if there is any deal re Brexit, only those CYPRIOT CITIZENS will be in the mix,,,,,, try getting someone to explain it slowly to you, because facts go way over your head. :roll:

mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:42 pm

WHL, you should provide a source for your information & that ought to settle this squabble.

WHL

Post by WHL » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm

mike strand2 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:42 pm
WHL, you should provide a source for your information & that ought to settle this squabble.
There's no squabble, there are not three hundred thousand cypriot citizens living in the UK, they are British Citizens who are of cypriot decent , the vast majority of which were born and raised in the UK, its as daft as saying there are a million Indian citizens living in the UK they are British who's forefathers came from India,
The amount of Cypriot Citizens is approx twenty thousand the majority students, its out there on google if any body wants to check.

mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:00 pm

WHL wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm
mike strand2 wrote:
There's no squabble, there are not three hundred thousand cypriot citizens living in the UK, they are British Citizens who are of cypriot decent , the vast majority of which were born and raised in the UK, its as daft as saying there are a million Indian citizens living in the UK they are British who's forefathers came from India,
The amount of Cypriot Citizens is approx twenty thousand the majority students, its out there on google if any body wants to check.
So, say where you have got this information from. Google is not a source! I'm sure you won't have made it up.

WHL

Post by WHL » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:19 pm

mike strand2 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:00 pm
WHL wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm
mike strand2 wrote:
So, say where you have got this information from. Google is not a source! I'm sure you won't have made it up.
My Next door neighbour is a high ranking civil servant in Nicosia, he is a serious and fair man, and over the years, we have had many many chats, regards Cyprus, UK/ World affairs, and I have no reason to doubt what he says,

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Ok, Wikipedia, so no guarantee of authentic, but;
CypriotBorn.png
CypriotBorn.png (55.7 KiB) Viewed 169 times

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Can we assume then, that you are both wrong? :mrgreen:

I would assume most in that census are elderly and so numbers will be lower, but more students now than 2011 I'd guess, so should even up?