Interpol chief says Cyprus considered one of the "safest countries"

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Interpol chief says Cyprus considered one of the "safest countries"

Post by Paphos Life »

Cyprus is considered a very safe country, evidenced by the millions of tourists who choose to holiday here this year, Interpol's Secretary-General Jurgen Stock said on Tuesday....

Read the article and chat about it below...
OldTimer

Re: Interpol chief says Cyprus considered one of the "safest countries"

Post by OldTimer »

The statement was "Cyprus" not rhe surrounding countries
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

A good point David Brown and you may be correct but it depends on the definition of Safest Countries and in what respect, The region has been volatile all of my lifetime but Cyprus has been fairly safe except for the invasion in 1974.

Stock said: “Cyprus is considered a very safe country and this is one reason why about three million tourists visit every year because they enjoy the beauty of the country and enjoy being in a very safe environment.”

I don’t doubt for one minute that compared to some other countries that this will be correct and is generally speaking a fairly safe place with not much threat to life or limb --- However safe can be defined in many respects.We have just returned to the UK this week from one of our three monthly visits to Paphos but while we were there we visited friends a couple of times who have a bar on Poseidonos Avenue, The first night at around 10.00pm a large group of people approx 14 and about 16 young kids started to approach the bar and seated themselves, They were very, very loud singing football songs badly – Shaved heads – Bare bellied – and Homemade tattoos spelt incorrectly ( And that was just the women) complaining about the heat and humidity, They were from Manchester (not a tropical place) - Over the next hour they knocked over beer, threw beer mats at each other, demanded more drinks and taunted the bar staff, the foul language was disgusting, And people who had been in all night started to leave table by table – We also left at around 11.30pm as it just seemed to be getting worse and my wife was uncomfortable with this, Their kids should have been in bed hours ago. Three days later when we called in again we asked about the group and were told that the police removed them at 1.30am after they caused significant damage to one of the Neon bar signs and the kids were kicking a football against the pharmacy plate glass window opposite trying to set the alarm off.
In a nutshell we saw several large groups of rowdies and I mean out of control groups with hardly any clothing with obscene bodies wandering around looking for somewhere to inflict themselves on normal people and I am ashamed to say some were from my home town of Newcastle. These kind of people seem to be more and more prevalent this year than any other year that we have been to Paphos and I think they are more dangerous than any other criminal on the island as they are so drunk they have no idea what they are doing and make most normal people uncomfortable – Our friend with the bar said how it works is they are on all inclusive deals and drink as much as they can before midnight in their hotels then after midnight they have to pay hotel prices so they come out looking for cheaper drink – The ones that come out early are normally sick of being stuck in the hotel but are well tanked up on all inclusive drinks before they come out and by 2.00am they are paralysed.

I think Jurgen Stock needs to get out more before he makes statements like this – The biggest threat to safety is the British tourist.
tonee

Post by tonee »

Why do the bars keep serving people if they are causing problems or had too much to drink?You know the behaviour is going to get worse the more you serve them.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:00 amThere are no 'no-go' areas for us; that said I would never think of going to Bar St late at night.
You should try it Lloyd, even if it’s just for a greasy kebab from Out of Africa :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My daughter works in one of the bigger "All Inclusive" hotels and was telling me about a wedding party from Manchester that stayed there recently, could have been the same group. Tension the whole time they were there. Police were called several times and hotel security was on alert the whole time they were there.
This is a regular occurrence and staff are often abused and occasionally assaulted

Jim