Mosaic v liners

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Pkb

Mosaic v liners

Post by Pkb »

Hi all,
My pool will soon need a new liner, & I would appreciate your opinion which is best & why.
Paul
LouiseCastricum

Re: Mosaic v liners

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Indeed Liner!
Louise :)
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

As already advised, stick to liner to give a little flexibility with earth movements, of which there are many in Cyprus, not all of them registered as earthquakes. Remember how wet this winter was? Earth swells when wet. Now it is summer, the earth is drying out and shrinking back.... Unless your pool is above-ground, it is set into earth.

We had an infinity pool that was lined below water level, and tiled from just below water level up to the coping stones, over the infinity edge and down the overflow into the lined trough. When the small tiles started dropping off, my late husband stuck them back where he could, but when it got too bad, we had a border glued over the top around the water level. That helped the tiles in the pool, but the rest kept on dropping off.

The problem appeared to be that the small mosaic style tiles were not stuck individually to the pool, but came already attached to some form of backing - and not attached sufficiently well to withstand the rigours of pools in Cyprus!
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Have to say my tiled pool is as beautiful as it was when it was built 15 years ago and never had a problem.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The construction of a lined pool and tiled pool are different. The screed bottom of a lined pool is usually not tied in to the walls so there is movement between the two. On a tiled pool the base is usually tied in with re-bar to the walls and the whole structure moves as one. Tiling a pool constructed for a liner to my mind is taking a risk that could end up costing thousands.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Both tiles and liner, are only as good as the tradesmen who fitted them.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We had our pool relined by Shipshape, and were very impressed with the results. It may be worth contacting them (Manni is who we dealt with; a very nice man) and asking for advice.

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/entry/shipshape
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Incidentally, our lining looks like tiles anyway.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:48 am The construction of a lined pool and tiled pool are different. The screed bottom of a lined pool is usually not tied in to the walls so there is movement between the two. On a tiled pool the base is usually tied in with re-bar to the walls and the whole structure moves as one. Tiling a pool constructed for a liner to my mind is taking a risk that could end up costing thousands.
Jim
Totally correct. In addition the wall construction of a tiled pool should take into consideration that a certain amount of moisture absorption will take place and as such the reinforcement within those walls should be suitably protected. No such problem with a lined pool. Against that a lined pool will need its liner replaced after a length of time whilst a correctly installed tiled pool will not (I think).
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Just had our liner replaced by a company called Poolfix ,fitted a Canadian made liner which included the fitting of new covers for the bottom drains , skimmers and return ports . Pleased with what was done .
Lefkes.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Have to say that our pool is tiled and still looks like new after 17 years, but of course as Jim B has stated the construction is different.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The pool which we had (8x4m) was properly constructed with tied in rebars to both the base and the walls to form a sturdy shell. Then concrete was poured into the frame created. Left to harden and is the term ‘cure’? It was then tiled with Mosaic tiles. It looked very attractive, and unlike a lined plastic pool, has needed nothing further done to it, except proper pool maintenance to keep it in pristine condition. It has been there now for nearly 20 yrs and has withstood both earthquakes and tremors over that time.

As I have been told, it all depends on the ground being solid, and suitable to take a pool and the way that the pool is constructed. It is also noted that in-ground concrete pools constructed properly are likely to be more expensive to build and construct than fibreglass type pools with a sand or other bottom which are suitable for a pool liner.

Dee
Pkb

Post by Pkb »

Hi all
Thanks for all your advice, I think it’s best stick to the liner.
Thanks
Paul