Dog friendly beaches

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Dog friendly beaches

Post by trevnhil »

Whilst awaiting news of a dog friendly beach at Paphos, can you tell us where the beach allowing dogs is at Polis please
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There are two dog-friendly beaches in the Paphos Region.

One is on the north coast, between Latchi and Aphrodite's Baths.It is not much cop at all.

The other is on the south coast, in Geroskipou. If you go to Ricco's Beach and keep going east, you eventually run out of beach. If you continue across the rubble you will eventually get to the Ezousa River. If you navigate that, you will get to the dog beach. Well, you will get to a rocky area of beach laughingly called the dog beach.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

More shabby treatment dished out by local anti- dog culture govt officers. Why can’t they allocate the extreme ends of sandy public beaches for dogs and their owners? There just isn’t the problem with hygiene that they seem to think. Provided that dog owners consciensely pick up any mess left by their dogs and dispose of it properly.
Dogs don’t leave the amount of rubbish that many beach goers seem to leave behind when they leave. Dogs don’t use hyperdermic syringes or leave dirty nappies on beaches,..
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No but they can leave piles of crap about. Not all dog owners clean up after their dogs.

The dog-friendly beach in Protaras shows how it can be done though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

I go with David on this.

I am a dog owner and a responsable one I feel, always carry poop bags always have, but this is not the real problem is it.

I've stated many times, that I do use local beached in winter when I was told it is perfectly acceptable even to dog haters of those there are many here unfortunately, I do not have a dog mess problem Dominic because the real culprits are those humans who use local beaches, it is THEY who are causing far more trash rubbish and unmentionables than any dog or their owners, just look at the mess on Timi beach after the night after, that is disgusting not dog mess..I have for years tried to find a so called dog friendly beach in a drivable distance from my home, the one allocated to dog owners is a bad joke, you cannot even walk on the ''beach'' for rocks and large pebbles, is this the very best Pafos can do? let's all hope we get at least part of a sandy beach in a reasonable traveling distance, some hope I fear.

Coco is old now and will be my last dog sadly, I do not wish to leave another dog to family or to the elements as you see shamefully so many dogs in Pafos.
Jim.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

JimX wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:06 am Coco is old now and will be my last dog sadly, I do not wish to leave another dog to family or to the elements as you see shamefully so many dogs in Pafos.
Oh Jim, that's a shame, you get so much love and enjoyment from your dog. Would you not even consider taking on an older dog? I know how empty the house feels when there is suddenly no furry face to greet you when you get home - and, no, I am not referring to Dave! 😂😂😂
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
JimX

Post by JimX »

Yes I have Kay, but I'm getting no younger and my old bones are the same, I have always had dogs this Dachshund being my favorite breed by far, although our Border Collies came a close second, Cyprus is not dog friendly I think we all have heard of the treatment many of them have including poisoning, I do not think Cyprus is a good island to have dogs on, my opinion of course.

I have seen some awful treatment of animals here.Thank goodness for those wonderful people who try to rescue and treat so many..bless them all!! off to feed my 6 cats, all clipped ears..
Jim.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Animal Party slams dog beaches as unsuitable

Cyprus’ seven dog beaches difficult to access and have no facilities, effectively rendering them unsuitable, Kyriakos Kyriakou, president of Animal Party Cyprus said on Monday.

Speaking to Alpha TV from Monagrouli dog beach, Kyriakou said it was time the Central Committee on Beaches find suitable beaches for dogs, alternatively dog owners will end up taking their four legged friends to public beaches.

In other European countries, dogs are allowed onto public beaches without a problem, he said.

Similar complaints about Cyprus’ seven dog beaches were voiced in June by Greens vice president Greens Efi Xanthou who spoke of an empty gesture.

Kyriakou said the beaches are difficult to access and not sign posted. In one case, the road is so bad, it requires a four wheel drive vehicle he said, adding that he has received a lot of complaints from dog owners.

In addition, the beach at Monagrouli for example is pebbly and rocky and there are no facilities.

“We told community leaders to provide some facilities for the owners of the dogs so that they can generate some revenue from the dog beaches, but there has been no response,” he said.

The Central Beach Committee has designated two beaches each in Paphos and Limassol and one each in Nicosia, Larnaca and Paralimni as open to dogs.

The beaches are the same as last year. They are:

1. The beach in Steratzia, within the council limits of Kato Pyrgos in Nicosia district.

2. The beach known as Kasianes (Spyros Beach) south of Larnaca airport, within the municipal limits of Larnaca in Larnaca district.

3. The beach northwest of Paphos airport, where the river Ezousa meets the sea, within the council limits of Achelia in Paphos district.

4. The beach in the area of Pitili, east of where the Platani river meets the sea, within the council limits of Neo Chorio in the Paphos district.

5. The beach at Karavopetra (6), south east of the sewerage treatment unit, within the council of limits of Monagroulli in the Limassol district.

6. The beach at Prolimnos, west of Pissouri, within the council limits of Pissouri, in Limassol district.

7. The beach at Glyki Nero A, near Kapparis within the limits of Paralimni Municipality.

https://in-cyprus.com/animal-party-slam ... nsuitable/