Wimbledon!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
smudger

Wimbledon!

Post by smudger »

Glued to the tv now for the next 2 weeks!!

So glad to see Andy Murray back in action, wish him all the luck in the world!!
emgee

Re: Wimbledon!

Post by emgee »

A tournament for the priviledged. Whilst in most sports in UK there are many coloured participants, why are there so few, if any, in UK Tennis?

Oh! I've answered the question.

Alan
boycott

Post by boycott »

Perhaps not good enough!
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Wake me up when the Ashes begin.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

emgee wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:42 pm A tournament for the priviledged. Whilst in most sports in UK there are many coloured participants, why are there so few, if any, in UK Tennis?

Alan
Possibly because there are so few UK tennis players?

But here's one, who's playing in Wimbledon today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Clarke_(tennis)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
smudger

Post by smudger »

'A tournament for the priviledged. Whilst in most sports in UK there are many coloured participants, why are there so few, if any, in UK Tennis?,

Disagree, tennis is no more a privileged sport than any other. Why is it an issue if there are so few coloured participants?? I'm not sure there are, but if there are, why should it be an issue?? I'm sick of this constant segregation of participants in sport. Those who wish to compete have the very same options as anyone else, colouredor not. At the end of the day it's ability, and just that. Nothing whatsoever to do with colour,

Can we please please get away from the obsession with colour and concentrate purely on talent????
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

and what's about this girl? (women) She just beat Williams 6:4,6:4. But how can she be only 15 years old with this body :?:

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 am and what's about this girl? (women) She just beat Williams 6:4,6:4. But how can she be only 15 years old with this body :?:

Max
Boys and girls develop differently, my mate had a full beard at fifteen, while I had a bit of bum fluff :shock:
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

emgee wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:42 pm A tournament for the priviledged. Whilst in most sports in UK there are many coloured participants, why are there so few, if any, in UK Tennis?

Alan
Yeah and ive never seen a fat black person play darts either :lol:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

A recent report did show that most sports were 'over-represented' by people from Independent schools. (proportionately) Outside that, most also were represented by participants from middle-class and above backgrounds.

the exception was football. Reasons are obvious, many sports requiring large capital investment and ongoing support from parents for participation.

The other exception was Welsh rugby.

This would also explain lower participation from people from socially deprived areas, which would include very large numbers of black and other ethnic groups.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Flossie

Never sailed a ship in my life.

Alan
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Flossie wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:28 am Emgee your beloved sailing isn't elitist at all is it?!
Sailing is certainly not an elitist sport - something enjoyed by people of all backgrounds and income levels, people who wish to compete in races or just enjoy the pleasure of sailing or like us used it as a very pleasurable means of travelling to many destinations. Money no object as on the water we are all equal as we found when we visited marinas. I still miss the friendship that I experienced as a live aboard - something I have not found since returning to live ashore.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A yacht costs a lot more than a tennis racquet.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

To excel at any support requires skill, dedication and support from family and others. Very difficult for anyone from a socially deprived background, except in sports like football - which is why the greater proportion of the world’s best players come from poor backgrounds. Most single sports and athletics need too much organisation and support to even be backed by schools. Judy Murray has tried to shake up the LTA, to little avail.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Flossie wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:00 am No worries! Anyway the mixed doubles should be interesting https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/48837343
Yep, like you Vi I have never been much interested in the doubles, mixed or otherwise. However . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 🤔

Maggie
WHL

Post by WHL »

DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Flossie wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:32 am I have an aversion to women players grunting like warthogs.....!!
I have an aversion to overuse of the exclamation mark.......
smudger

Post by smudger »

Me too V, I just hate those screeching grunting women and find it incredibly distracting!!!
emgee

Post by emgee »

I am aware that Andy Murray has been trying to get the "blazers" at the LTA to discuss this problem, but they are NOT interested in losing their perks and the status quo they have within the game.

Alan
memory man

Post by memory man »

Dan Evans UK ( yesterday ) was a bit of a "grunter"