Unidentified object crashes in north Cyprus, no casualties

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Unidentified object crashes in north Cyprus, no casualties

Post by Paphos Life »

An unidentified object that may have been a missile crashed north of the Cypriot capital, Nicosia, early on Monday, but no one was hurt on the ground, Turkish Cypriot officials said.Mustafa Akinci, the Turkish Cypriot leader, linked the object to military operations in the Middle East....

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: Unidentified object crashes in north Cyprus, no casualties

Post by WHL »

Israel hitting Syria, Syria firing back, looks like a stray missile.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I think it's the first time it's happened in all this time but even so, it's a bit too close for comfort...
Lucky it landed where it did and not in any residential areas.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Good job it wasn't a British or US missile or the local anti British press would have a field day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

bromerzz wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:54 pm Good job it wasn't a British or US missile or the local anti British press would have a field day.
It doesn't matter what 'Nationality' the missile was, thank God there were no fatalities, that's what matters.
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Flossie wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:49 am The usual OTT reporting by the UK gutter press! https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... s-17284600

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... s-17284600
Not sure what's so OTT about that, it was just luck that it landed in such an isolated area. If it had landed in Nicosia or any other populated area on the island we could have been looking at multiple fatalities, never mind the damage to the tourism industry and the economy.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, v. fortunate that the missile reported as having broken up in mid air and apparently pieces of it fell in a wide area. Thank goodness it missed any built up areas. But it has caused several fires in N. Cyprus.

Dee
lionelcyprus

Post by lionelcyprus »

Apparently designed to explode mid-air.
Quoting here
“Right now, we can’t be absolute, but from the pictures and the inscriptions it appears to be an S-200,” said Zenonas Tziarras of the Geopolitical Cyprus thinktank.
Those missiles were designed to explode in midair if they do not hit a target, he said.
Residents told Cypriot media they saw a light in the sky then heard three loud explosions.Authorities evacuated some homes.
From the Grauniad. Fortunate that none of the bits landed on anybody's head.
Dominus illuminatio mea
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Flossie wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 pm But it didn't! However the press like to big things up and exaggerate... How many people will gave called tour operators today to cancel their holidays I wonder?!!!
I'm sorry but I don't see your point here, a missile from Syria exploded over Cyprus and left debris over a large area causing several fires.
I don't think this is being exaggerated by the press to any major degree, what do you expect them to do, play it down incase it disrupts tourism?
You may be right that a few people may change their holiday plans but that is their prerogative, it is only by luck that it landed where it did.
I don't think this will have any significant impact on tourism here but it could have been much worse!
lionelcyprus

Post by lionelcyprus »

Paulo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:17 pm
I don't think this is being exaggerated by the press to any major degree, what do you expect them to do, play it down incase it disrupts tourism?
Indeed. Imagine being on the Vienna flight to Larnaca, which normally lands about 1 am, and seeing a Sam-200 missile flying past the window.
Would make some people think twice. The S-200 is a ground to air missile. Its main function is to blow up planes.
For Flossie - even the Daily Telegraph is reporting this. Missile from Syria crashes in Cyprus.
Dominus illuminatio mea
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

How would you suggest they report it?
From my understanding they have only stated the facts.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Flossie shall I sit in the holiday resort with The Daily Telegraph over my head, that will stop it landing on me for sure!
memory man

Post by memory man »

PAPHOS: An anti-aircraft missile was detected by the police

Oxidized anti-aircraft missile was detected today by the Paphos Police in an area of ​​the village of Goudi.

Members of the Paphos Police along with a pyrotechnist traveled to the scene.

As the missile was revealed, it was oxidized. The pyrotechnist proceeded to destroy it.

PafosPress
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

We all must remember that the media only survives on printing mainly bad news.I remember when I was in America a few years ago a guy who was high up in some newspaper was fed up with his editor because he was always telling his journalists to dig up some bad news..So he decided to open his own newspaper printing only good news..6 months into he he had to file for chapter 11 ( bankruptcy )
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

If tourists from the UK would be put off visiting Cyprus in case parts of a missile might just land where they are, then they had better emigrate. They have a much greater chance of being caught up in an ISIS bomb in the UK right now.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Mmmmmm,so thinking about it,newspapers want to print bad news,so to sell newspapers..They know that the public their customers must want to read about,,,,,,,,bad news and scandal,,,,,rocket science!