Referral Letter by doctor

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Referral Letter by doctor

Post by trevnhil »

So even in recent times, not all would describe their stay in Paphos Hospital satisfactory :-(
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Even if a group of us went to the same restaurant at the same time sitting at separate tables doesn't necessarily mean we would all share the same experience.

It's just that having worked in hospitals then I expect the same duty of care that I was trained to give to patients and tried to put into practice throughout my career. I wasn't rude, aggressive or demanding and certainly behaved nothing like another Expat couple who were peeved that they had to wait for the husband to be admitted for a pre-planned operation - the staff were busy dealing with dressings, injections and other similar tasks and this couple had been acknowledged and asked to take a seat and someone would come and see them as soon as they were free. Other patients were also waiting to be admitted and sat quietly but not this Expat couple - until I told them that I was a patient and I was also waiting to speak to a member of staff. They were flabbergasted when I walked into a side ward and less than a minute later a nurse came to look after the patient in the bed next to me. They tried to do the same and were yet again asked to take a seat in the waiting area!
Fisherman Phil

Post by Fisherman Phil »

Let me just make it clear, I was not rude, demanding or aggressive.
Why my IV' lines got infected, I do not know. I did ask, but I didn't get a satisfactory answer, other than "it must be your system".
I felt awful when I was discharged, but quite frankly, I was just glad to get out.
Having said all that, they did diagnose my heart problem correctly, and I found some of the staff sympathetic and helpful, but unfortunately they were in the minority.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I found it confusing in A&E and on the ward as to the level of each member of the nursing staff and medical staff as there was nothing to indicate their status - so in the end just asked to speak to the most senior person on duty at the time because I was given some rather strange answers by some nursing staff when they did the routine observations. Likewise the rapport between staff and patients varied, but over the years have experienced this in many hospital departments. One of the other ladies was having many problems with the IV drip, not helped by the needle having to be inserted in her elbow region rather than on the back of the hand due to lack of suitable veins hence the staff got to know me well as I was the one who went to find them when there was a problem (night and day) and they always came straight away. Sorry to read about your experience Fisherman Phil and even though it was a more positive experience for me I prefer to be the one looking after patients than being a patient.