Some meds for chronic diseases not available

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Some meds for chronic diseases not available

Post by Paphos Life »

Some medications for the treatment of chronic diseases are not available, head of the Pharmaceutical Association Eleni Piera said on Friday.This concerns medicines for blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol and others, she said....

Read the article and chat about it below...
JimX

Re: Some meds for chronic diseases not available

Post by JimX »

As I once posted a brewery and p*** up comes into mind, what a shambles.

The most used drugs are out of stock, maybe sack the boss of all this?
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I am sure it will eventually be sorted out.. But meanwhile it is a bit of a shambles...
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:05 am I am sure it will eventually be sorted out.. But meanwhile it is a bit of a shambles...
I´m not so sure. This has been a problem for years. Already in 2016, when I arrived in Cyprus, I had to go to the North to get certain medication even though it was on the list of available drugs.
At the time I asked a pharmacist how it could be that even drugs for which there is no substitute aren´t available he told me that being on the list of available drugs doesn´t mean they will be made available because in some cases it doesn´t make financial sense to import them.
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

Paphos Life wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:41 pm Some medications for the treatment of chronic diseases are not available, head of the Pharmaceutical Association Eleni Piera said on Friday.This concerns medicines for blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol and others, she said....

Read the article and chat about it below...
We took our GESY prescription to our local GESY pharmacy and got our blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol and other tablets.

In Cyprus there has always been restrictions on certain types of drugs just like the UK NHS.

It has nothing to do with GESY.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Flossie wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:04 am How can you say that?! If they're being prescribed by a Gesy GP to obtain from a Gesy Pharmacy and there aren't any then surely it is remiss of Gesy not to ensure they have sufficient supply?!!
How I can say that? Because it was my experience. Try e.g. getting sumatriptane -or any other triptane for that matter - to get from any pharmacy in Cyprus. Triptanes are painkillers specific for migraines (i. e. they only for for migraines) and there is no substitute for them as their mode of action is unique. At least when I last checked (in 2017) there was no triptane available.
Another drug I couldn´t get was dihydrobenzperidole (a neuroleptic which in low doses acts is a powerful antiemetic). At least for that there are alternatives available though.
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

jeba wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:11 am
Flossie wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:04 am How can you say that?! If they're being prescribed by a Gesy GP to obtain from a Gesy Pharmacy and there aren't any then surely it is remiss of Gesy not to ensure they have sufficient supply?!!
..... At least when I last checked (in 2017) there was no triptane available.
So if it wasn't available before GESY in 2017 it isn't therefore the fault of GESY.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:44 am Careful what you say JimX as WHL is vey sensitive about criticism of the health system, GESY etc here and this is his reply to my post yesterday about the proverbial!

You can mock as much as you want, but introducing a Nationwide National Health service was bound to have some ups and downs, so far the majority of people I have spoken to, have been very positive, compare that to queuing for hours in the Hospital, or going into a nice modern clinic,and be seen at the time of your appointment, im sure all the kinks will be ironed out.

Here's an article aswell from today's Cy Mail agreeing with most people: https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/06/22/our- ... ll-so-far/
What a pathetic post, some of us see a positive having a NHS, doom and gloom merchants, on here , look for any excuse to poo poo anything and everything, Gesy hasn't even been running for a month yet, and the moaners are out in force, for God's sake give it a chance .... people moaned about the Hospitals for years, we are now in the process of getting a modern NHS which will cost each of us very little, a question to you and a few others on here.... have you ever posted anything positive regards living in Cyprus? :roll:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Yes I have lots of times.. But the post is about 'Some meds for chronic diseases not available'
It is alright saying Gesy has not been running a month yet, but for people who cannot not=w get tablets they have had previously, it is a big problem
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 am Yes I have lots of times.. But the post is about 'Some meds for chronic diseases not available'
It is alright saying Gesy has not been running a month yet, but for people who cannot not=w get tablets they have had previously, it is a big problem
My post wasn't referring to you Trev, I know its a big problem, my wife couldn't get one of her meds last week, so we got it from outside, My beef is with a few on here, who seem to get great pleasure in whinging and moaning.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Appreciate that there will be teething problems as the new system is set up and becomes operational over the next couple of years but even so the prescribed drugs should be available now. Not a good sign that some of the listed medications are not even on the island and that people are having to pay for a dearer alternative. I certainly couldn't afford to pay for any private medications if the GESY equivalent wasn't available.
jeba

Post by jeba »

galexinda wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:19 am Not a good sign that some of the listed medications are not even on the island and that people are having to pay for a dearer alternative.
If they´re lucky and there is an alternative. That´s not always the case though.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:33 am
galexinda wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:19 am Not a good sign that some of the listed medications are not even on the island and that people are having to pay for a dearer alternative.
If they´re lucky and there is an alternative. That´s not always the case though.
Jeba before you came to live in Cyprus, did you find out if you could get your medications in Cyprus, If you found out they were not available here, what provision did you make to obtain them? from elsewhere.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Because the problem was there before Gesy, so it cannot be Gesy's fault.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:44 am Jeba before you came to live in Cyprus, did you find out if you could get your medications in Cyprus, If you found out they were not available here, what provision did you make to obtain them? from elsewhere.
I don´t need medication for myself. I needed it for someone else who was visiting. If I needed something I couldn´t get here (or in the North) I´d simply have it sent over from Germany (where I´m from).
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:18 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:44 am Jeba before you came to live in Cyprus, did you find out if you could get your medications in Cyprus, If you found out they were not available here, what provision did you make to obtain them? from elsewhere.
I don´t need medication for myself. I needed it for someone else who was visiting. If I needed something I couldn´t get here (or in the North) I´d simply have it sent over from Germany (where I´m from).
With respect Jeba if someone needs an important drug, then surely you would make sure you have enough supplies to last you while on holiday?
Lucky Lady

Post by Lucky Lady »

I suffer from several chronic conditions and have recently used GESY to see my GP, have a blood test and got all of my medications from my local pharmacy with ease.(and considerably less cost) 😀😀 Yes of course there will be teething problems - I don't suppose many of us were around when the UK NHS started but I'm sure they had the same issues, so give it time, it is less than a month in.
As for going on holiday, I always ensure I have enough medication with me, you can't go to a foreign country and expect the same provision - take responsibility for your own actions - something a lot of people don't do, then complain when something goes wrong.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lucky Lady wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:01 pm I suffer from several chronic conditions and have recently used GESY to see my GP, have a blood test and got all of my medications from my local pharmacy with ease.(and considerably less cost) 😀😀 Yes of course there will be teething problems - I don't suppose many of us were around when the UK NHS started but I'm sure they had the same issues, so give it time, it is less than a month in.
As for going on holiday, I always ensure I have enough medication with me, you can't go to a foreign country and expect the same provision - take responsibility for your own actions - something a lot of people don't do, then complain when something goes wrong.
Agree 100% only you put it alot better then I have.
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:39 pm
jeba wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:18 pm
With respect Jeba if someone needs an important drug, then surely you would make sure you have enough supplies to last you while on holiday?
The visitor was my girlfriend and she had some sumatriptane on her when she came - just not enough as she needed more than anticipated. To be honest it hadn´t occured to me that what is standard medication like tripatnes would not be available.
The fact that I don´t have much confidence in the Cypriot healthcare system is the reason why I´m not joining GESY but rather keep my German public health insurance. I´d advise everybody from a EU-country with public health insurance to think carefully before swapping it for GESY-membership because they might lose cover by their home country´s system (if they have a choice - as I understood only pensioners can choose).
JimX

Post by JimX »

WHL post, Jeba before you came to live in Cyprus, did you find out if you could get your medications in Cyprus, If you found out they were not available here, what provision did you make to obtain them? from elsewhere.

WHL what if your medical problem came along after you had moved out here 20 years ago? this situation cannot go on, many will suffer long term damage to their health, and yes this could easily be you, if the correct drugs are unavailable or as is now very low supplies then unfortunately many of us will have a major problem, this new system may be better for us all but it has to run properly NOW!!
Jim.