Wooden Fences

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Alys

Wooden Fences

Post by Alys »

Have been away for one week and returned to find our neighbour (non-Cypriot or British) has added a 2 foot high addition to our existing fence without permission comprising of old wood (with screws sticking out). Even though wooden fences are 'moveable' structures, we're being told that, in general, fences require planning permission above a certain height. I don't want this ugly extension but am in a quandary as to what to do next. I wonder if anybody else has been in a similar situation? Also, if I get stuck, can anybody recommend a good solicitor in case the matter reaches this state please?
manxie

Re: Wooden Fences

Post by manxie »

who owns the fence or is a party boundry, are you on talking terms with neighbour to ask them why, better to talk first ?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Where I lived previously, in Kamares, we were told fences at 2m. is max height. It’s always best to get agreement from your neighbours, before building a fence. If you erected the wooden fence in question, is it within the boundary of your lot? Do you have title deeds? If your answer to these questions is yes, then you ‘own’ the fence.
The neighbour has no right to add to it especially without consultation with you.
But you need to check if there is a max height for boundary fences in your neighbour hood. Sometimes in a built up area it might be less.
Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

When we erected ours with the agreement of our neighbour, we were advised 1.8m is the maximum height. We also had the fence built on our side of the boundary line, about 3 inches in.
Last edited by kansas on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
kansas

Post by kansas »

When we erected ours with the agreement of our neighbour, we were advised 1.8m is the maximum height. We also had the fence built on our side of the boundary line, about 3 inches in, and we maintain both sides of the fence.
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

It must be very upsetting to have something like this happen. I know of 2 instances where this sort of thing has happened in fact something very much worse & unfortunately certain nationalities seem to get away with doing as they wish in Cyprus despite planning laws.
Alys

Post by Alys »

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It looks like I may have to follow Termites Dream's suggestion and go to the Paphos Municipality planning office (I live in Kato Paphos so don't have a Muktar).