The UK,s future PM and your pound?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

The UK,s future PM and your pound?

Post by Chaddy »

A dispute ( in the local watering hole of course ) the other afternoon was about who would benefit the pound sterling the most if they where in power. The value of sterling would effect most of us ex pats here so who are we cheering for.
Boris seemed to be the favourite,as the drinks flowed but then we have,,Jeremy Hunt,,Michael Gove,,Sajid Javid and one or two more.
Anyone got a more informed opinion? :?
Chaddy

Re: The UK,s future PM and your pound?

Post by Chaddy »

Happy in Cyprus,,with respect my posting was about the future of the pound,for us ex pats out here.The nature of your reply could get admin to transfer it to the political section.So who would be the best PM for the value of the pound?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The PM who revokes article 50 - would cause the pound to jump 20%

Unlikely to happen

The one who calls a second referendum, would see the pound jump a bit.... until there’s an outcome

The one who calls for a hard brexit is likely to cause a recession in the UK - and the EU....

The UK would end up worst off.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

HIC,,understood but still waiting ,holding my breath, for your view on what PM will be better for the pound. Oh and would you Adam and Eve it one guy in the pub actually had the opinion that Jeremy Corbyn as PM would help the pound...Mind you,,you could have sailed the titanic on what he had drank!!!
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:08 pm Makes me laugh, one of them (can't remember which, but I think may be Boris) is bragging that they will offer tax cuts if elected.
How can they possibly, when Police numbers are cut back to the bone, local councils are laying off services to the aged and sick left, right and centre...and education and hospitals are woefully under-funded?
Surely folks won't be hoodwinked second time around by this scam artist :?
Totally agree. If any of them went to a General Election with any of the promises they are making they would go down the proverbial pan. They are blatantly making promises to the few non-candidate MPs that will be voting in the early rounds trying to outdo the other contenders to show which of them is the most 'conservative (right wing). Even my 'favourite, Dominic Raab has tanked, with his daft ideas such as privatising all schools. Who would I vote for now....................I have not got the faintest. They are all a bunch of wa....s.

It's pathetic....................... No it's not, it doesn't reach the level of being pathetic.
lionelcyprus

Post by lionelcyprus »

Very good question. Boris is no idiot, even though he can come across as a buffoon. HiC does have a valid point. The people who benefit most from his proposed tax cuts are those over retirement age with an income over 80k pounds. Who will decide who our next PM is? Tory party members - mostly rich, and mostly elderly. They will be laughing all the way to the bank, and voting Boris for sure. If they had any doubt then he has removed it.

You can get odds on Boris at 4/6 or 4/7. An instant return of 50% on your money. He is massively the favourite. The pound. Anybody's guess, but if the uncertainty continues I would think it will continue to fall, but slowly. Nobody else stands a chance. So not worth speculating on the other 9.
Dominus illuminatio mea
Varky

Post by Varky »

On the same day that many of the Tory premiership candidates were handing out tax cuts and the like to the high earners, the BBC announced that pensioners would no longer get free TV licences. Whether you like it or not this shameful state of affairs will drive voters in a General Election to the Labour party and hasten the demise of the Tory party.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I have thought for 2 years, that Hunt would take over. Still think so. He is intelligent, a total (insert rhyming slang) and strong enough to push dissenting voices into the background. I’m not favouring him, by any means, but realistic as to the type the Tories will choose
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

As has been said by others, this bunch of Tory hopefuls don’t inspire me with either their commitment to serve and get the best deal for GB, or their leadership potential. I hope that Boris doesn’t win by default. Its a dreary campaign as far as I can see,
Whatever MP’s thought of Theresa May, I still believe that she tried her hardest to get the best deal for the country.
And I dread the thought that a hard Brexit seems more likely now.
Dee