Flat Roof Coating

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
CYWALL

Flat Roof Coating

Post by CYWALL »

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for some advice on what paint/mastic etc, to buy to give my flat roof an upgrade.
It hasn't been done since the house was built fifteen years ago.
Although it isn't leaking I think it's time it was done this summer ready for the winter months and rain.
So obviously a water repellant rather than a sun repellant if that makes sense.
Thank all. :)
WHL

Re: Flat Roof Coating

Post by WHL »

CYWALL wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:24 am Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for some advice on what paint/mastic etc, to buy to give my flat roof an upgrade.
It hasn't been done since the house was built fifteen years ago.
Although it isn't leaking I think it's time it was done this summer ready for the winter months and rain.
So obviously a water repellant rather than a sun repellant if that makes sense.
Thank all. :)

Did ours last year, can't remember the name, but I paid about 120e for twenty litres, you can get others for half that price, but they are much thinner, and will need more than one coat, so false economy, go for the best, it will save you money in the long run. it was a water based solution.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:39 pm We bought a white rubbery paint specially made for this purpose from Nikonikkos, opposite Sklavenitis/Carrefour on Mesoghi Ave. Brilliant stuff, but not cheap. 4 or 5 years on it's still like new. We gave at least two coats, plus primer I think.

Echo all that WHL says, you should not skimp on something as important as this. But in addition I would say that prior preparation is essential. Throughly clean and wire brush all surfaces and chemically clean the surface before applying the paint. Nikonikkos will advise.
We already had a similar coating on the roof, all that was needed was a good power wash, of the roof to get rid of any leaf stains, bird droppings etc.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

We had all the roof areas at the complex where we have our apartment done with a product called Hyperdesmo, based on the comments above I think that might what be others are referring to. Available from Charalambous in Kissonerga in various sizes to about a 25kg tin, in red or white. Brilliant stuff, I’ve also used the white variety on the woodwork of our pergola as the elastic properties give better protection than paint in terms of expansion and contraction which causes the paint to flake. Care needed when applying as it goes off quick so need to be able to use the whole tin in 2 days or you waste it.

Ian
WHL

Post by WHL »

PolemIan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:08 pm We had all the roof areas at the complex where we have our apartment done with a product called Hyperdesmo, based on the comments above I think that might what be others are referring to. Available from Charalambous in Kissonerga in various sizes to about a 25kg tin, in red or white. Brilliant stuff, I’ve also used the white variety on the woodwork of our pergola as the elastic properties give better protection than paint in terms of expansion and contraction which causes the paint to flake. Care needed when applying as it goes off quick so need to be able to use the whole tin in 2 days or you waste it.

Ian
Re going off quick that might be spirit based rather then water based?
J B

Post by J B »

Chris Nockles from Tala used this on our roof ...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qLwWr4VXEhuVChqk9
J B
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

WHL, from their web page:

“HYPERDESMO®-CLASSIC is a simple and economic solution for waterproofing and protection. It is a one component, of low viscosity, polyurethane fluid which cures with the humidity in the atmosphere to produce a highly elastic watrproofing membrane with strong adhesion to many types of surfaces. It is based on pure elastomeric hydrophobic polyurethane resin plus special inorganic fillers, which result in excellent mechanical, chemical, thermal, UV and natural element resistance properties.”

Ian
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Thanks for the replies everyone,
I thought I'd get Hyperdesmo as it sounds like what I need, but on visiting Charalambous in Kissonerga he had it in stock but he asked me what surface is it going down on. I told him my concrete roof was felted and then painted with a silver 'paint' (something I should have added to my original post)
sorry guys, he informed me that Hyperedesmo is a brilliant product but should only go down onto concrete surfaces.
He said I would need a different product because of the felt and silver paint on my roof, the product he recommended was called PU made by Isomat to be used with the correct stabalizer of course, which I would expect.
I haven't bought anything yet as I need to do a few things to the roof first, but I would love to hear your views on the above guys.
Thank you again.
WHL

Post by WHL »

CYWALL wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:20 am Thanks for the replies everyone,
I thought I'd get Hyperdesmo as it sounds like what I need, but on visiting Charalambous in Kissonerga he had it in stock but he asked me what surface is it going down on. I told him my concrete roof was felted and then painted with a silver 'paint' (something I should have added to my original post)
sorry guys, he informed me that Hyperedesmo is a brilliant product but should only go down onto concrete surfaces.
He said I would need a different product because of the felt and silver paint on my roof, the product he recommended was called PU made by Isomat to be used with the correct stabalizer of course, which I would expect.
I haven't bought anything yet as I need to do a few things to the roof first, but I would love to hear your views on the above guys.
Thank you again.
Our roof had felt and had been painted with silver paint several times, it was the guy in the store who advised us to use the white stuff, the white stuff lasted about 5 years, it didn't really need redoing , but i'm the safe than sorry type of guy, so we re did it again last year,,,,with all the rain we had, im glad we did.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The flat roofs on our complex apartment desperately need to be treated, especially after last winter's prolonged rainfall with ingress of water to some of the top floor apartments. Quotes of work offered and prices vary from a less than €1000 to €14,000+. No wonder the owners are reluctant to contribute and get the job done!