first experience visiting GESY doctor

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Fisherman Phil

Re: first experience visiting GESY doctor

Post by Fisherman Phil »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm I collected my Gesy certificate this morning, so I am registered now.. i have no idea when i will need to see a GP though.. I usually just see 2 or 3 consultants at the General.. So I have yet to find out what the consultants do about giving you a prescription ???
I too, would be interested to find out.
It was my understanding that under GESY, your GP referred you to a consultant. The consultant then reported back to the GP, who issued a prescription, if necessary.
As I said, that is my understanding, and that's how it seems to work at the Iasis Hospital, but I'd be interested to know how others get on.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm I collected my Gesy certificate this morning, so I am registered now.. i have no idea when i will need to see a GP though.. I usually just see 2 or 3 consultants at the General.. So I have yet to find out what the consultants do about giving you a prescription ???
Trev, what is this GESY Certificate? We are registered and on our Dr's list but never got a certificate. Do you mean the form that was signed both by you and the GP?
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:15 pm
Trev, what is this GESY Certificate? We are registered and on our Dr's list but never got a certificate. Do you mean the form that was signed both by you and the GP?
Probably I mean the form.. It is a big piece of paper with all my details Printed on it and the registration number for myself..
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 pm
Lincoln wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:15 pm
Probably I mean the form.. It is a big piece of paper with all my details Printed on it and the registration number for myself..
Hi Trev, yes that's the ones we have as well. We would always present it to the Dr. who can then enter details onto her computer screen.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I am hoping next week to take the paper to the Citizens centre to apply for an EHIC card
Trev..
Polly

Post by Polly »

I phoned this morning for my first appointment with the GESY doctor with whom I am registered. First available appointment June 26th! So now I am wondering, presuming there are some private doctors left in Pafos, who are they? Are the GESY doctors who were private still accessible with a private appointment and if so, do you still have to join the end of the queue or get a preferential appointment time?
WHL

Post by WHL »

We were late registering in Larnaca, and the majority of Doctors had full lists, so couldn't take us on, I believe its a max of 2500 patients per Dr, I can see long waits for appointments if your with a popular Dr.
wilky

Post by wilky »

Just been to GESY doctor and pharmacy got prescription on the doctors computer and a paper copy which the pharmacy took and found on the system but she did not have all the meds said she would ring when they got supplies in.Next day she phoned and we picked up meds for 3.48 euros one of those items i was paying 88 euros for so am well pleased with the new system.Today got an email from GESY confirming my collection from the pharmacy and telling me my maximum annual co-payment would be 150 euro and i have spent 3 euro co-payment.Very impressed so far.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

This is the first I have heard about an email from Gesy about you spends.. That is good. I assume you are not a pensioner yet ;-)
Trev..
wilky

Post by wilky »

Hi Trev yes we are UK pensioners here in Cyprus since 2013 and the only GP we used was one in Polis Hospital and the pharmacy there along with Marias in Mesogi it was her that rang me with the meds the next day not registered with her she said you can use any pharmacy that is registered with Gesy even if it was in Nicosia.
Dave
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It was Maria that told my wife that you had to be registered with One Pharmacy... However I think we all know now that you can use any pharmacy that is registered with Gesy
if you are a pensioner that I was under the impression that the maximum you paid in a year was €75, not €150... Worth checking out..
Trev..
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

wilky wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:35 pm Just been to GESY doctor and pharmacy got prescription on the doctors computer and a paper copy which the pharmacy took and found on the system but she did not have all the meds said she would ring when they got supplies in.Next day she phoned and we picked up meds for 3.48 euros one of those items i was paying 88 euros for so am well pleased with the new system.Today got an email from GESY confirming my collection from the pharmacy and telling me my maximum annual co-payment would be 150 euro and i have spent 3 euro co-payment.Very impressed so far.
Dear ,Wilky, You mention that you were able to receive a medication through Gesy which you have been paying 88 euros for ,would it be possible to say if this is a product called Eliquis apixaban for which I have been buying for the same cost ?.I would be delighted to save this amount of cash per month. Thanks in advance. Lefkes.
wilky

Post by wilky »

Lefkes yes that is correct.
Dave
wilky

Post by wilky »

Trev I can confirm it is 150 euro.
Dave
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

From.. https://in-cyprus.com/everything-you-ne ... E65f3I9Kz0

The annual co-payment ceiling per person is:
General population: €150 | Low-income pensioners: €75
Recipients of the Guaranteed Minimum Income benefit: €75 | Children: €75
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

lefkes wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:03 pm
wilky wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:35 pm Just been to GESY doctor and pharmacy got prescription on the doctors computer and a paper copy which the pharmacy took and found on the system but she did not have all the meds said she would ring when they got supplies in.Next day she phoned and we picked up meds for 3.48 euros one of those items i was paying 88 euros for so am well pleased with the new system.Today got an email from GESY confirming my collection from the pharmacy and telling me my maximum annual co-payment would be 150 euro and i have spent 3 euro co-payment.Very impressed so far.
Dear ,Wilky, You mention that you were able to receive a medication through Gesy which you have been paying 88 euros for ,would it be possible to say if this is a product called Eliquis apixaban for which I have been buying for the same cost ?.I would be delighted to save this amount of cash per month. Thanks in advance. Lefkes.
This looks like a plus side of Gesy .

Changes for patients
*Over the counter pharmaceuticals will remain outside the system. This means patients will have to pay for them out of pocket
*There will be a prescription fee of €1. Patients who not want the generic pharmaceutical prescribed, can opt to buy a more expensive brand pharmaceutical and cover the difference in price
*If there is no generic the GHS will fully cover the brand pharmaceutical
*GHS participants will not need to pay anything for medicine administered while in hospital
*The GHS will fully cover innovative medicine
*The GHS will fully cover the medicine prescribed by a doctor, even if there is a generic
*If the doctor is not part of the GHS, patients will have to pay for the medicine
*In the event of a chronic illness, doctors can give a prescription valid for six months so as not to inconvenience the patient. *However the patient can only collect a month’s supply at a time from the pharmacy.

Below is an extract from the official list .
Attachments
C96E1F6E-0D1E-4D3A-96B4-34DD8A1F6525.jpeg
C96E1F6E-0D1E-4D3A-96B4-34DD8A1F6525.jpeg (73.63 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
WHL

Post by WHL »

Ok here is our first experience, my wife booked last week for both of us, we were given yesterday, 5pm for her and 5.30 pm for me, half hour each, the last time I visited a GP in the UK it was ten minute slots, so far so good, arrived at the very swanky modern and very clean clinic, checked in with the very polite lady at reception desk, and were shown to to the Dr, very pleasant lady, UK trained and very knowledgeable, who put our history etc on the computer, advised us of the different med options, gave us prescriptions for six months, and a referral for me to have all the blood tests, for the princely sum of 10e the last time I had full blood tests I paid 120e, the wife to see a gynecologist at the hospital, we left after about half an hour, a very pleasant experience, now the downside, went to our usual chemist, who sadly had one med out of the six we were prescribed, she got on the phone to some other chemists who had the same situation, she explained that Cyprus were not prepared stock wise, for the start of the NHS and there is an Island shortage. so we left empty handed. my wife will visit some other chemists today to try and get the meds.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Just a couple of comment on the post from WHL.. Re the blood tests, I think you blood tests costing €120 must have been via the private sector... The maximum charge for blood tests at the General has been €10 for a long while..
And in general it puzzles me that there is a shortage of medicines in Cyprus... Basically no more medicines are needed now than 3 months ago... People are just getting their usual medications from different outlets.
However I do hope that the 'shortage' is sorted as soon as possible ..
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

I downloaded the list of pharmaceuticals from the GESY website and was pleasantly surprised to see that many of the medications unavailable under the previous regime would now be available. It appears that I was a bit optimistic and it is probably because the powers that be are waiting to receive funds from the various individual sources before actually stocking those (more expensive) medications that they have announced will be available.
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:46 am Just a couple of comment on the post from WHL.. Re the blood tests, I think you blood tests costing €120 must have been via the private sector... The maximum charge for blood tests at the General has been €10 for a long while..
And in general it puzzles me that there is a shortage of medicines in Cyprus... Basically no more medicines are needed now than 3 months ago... People are just getting their usual medications from different outlets.
However I do hope that the 'shortage' is sorted as soon as possible ..
Yes Trev, that was with a private lab, re the shortage, I will post on how my wife gets on today.