Dark (not lager) beer

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
J B

Dark (not lager) beer

Post by J B »

When we have clients stay in our townhouse we always include some Keo in the welcome pack.

Some friends of friends are staying soon and I've learnt that he can't drink lager but likes bitter type stuff.

As a non expert, can anyone recommend a choice?

:)
J B
trevnhil

Re: Dark (not lager) beer

Post by trevnhil »

Why not ask him for a few ones he likes
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

You can buy some bitters in cans like john Smiths, but its imported and more expensive than Keo/Carlsberg, a lot of bitter drinkers sometimes drink Leon.
David
J B

Post by J B »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:12 am Why not ask him for a few ones he likes
Well, he quite likes the beers that are brewed in our local brewery here in Shropshire :lol: but I don't think that they export to CY! ;)

I was hoping to get him something 'local' and wondered if Leon would fit the bill???

:)
J B
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

You can buy Aphrodites Rock craft beers, they sell dark beers. Kozel is tasty and is sold in most shops though for local beer I prefer Leon.

Jim
trireme

Post by trireme »

The guy that has the shop called "The Beer Sellar" has some interesting ales,it is situated not far up the road from the Seven St.Georges taverna in Geroskipou,I believe he also runs a bar in the Bar St. district of Paphos.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Kozel is not a bad brew as Jim B has said. They do a Dark Ale a bit like an old fashioned Brown Ale and a Premium Ale similar to something like Pedigree.
Aphrodite brews need to be served cold and can sometimes get a bit chewy. I find Leon is little more than a darker Keo,Carlsberg - none of which I enjoy.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Some of the Bulgarian and Romanian beers are a bit darker than the Cyprus ones, and very good. They often come in 3 litre bottles from the Bulgarian and Romanian shops. Ask the staff for recommendations. Relatively cheap too.
ast

Post by ast »

If all else fails as Uncle D mentioned the likes of John Smith's and Guinness available in shops everywhere 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

The Belgium Leffe Oud Bruin (Dark) maybe.
Louise :)