Starling Bank

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
merchant_banker

Starling Bank

Post by merchant_banker »

Been using Starling for a while now and very happy with it.

They have now introduced a Euro account.

You get a card and can withdraw from ATMs as well as exchanging money.

Take a look

https://www.starlingbank.com/

Possible downside for some people, everything is done via an app on a phone or tablet.
J B

Re: Starling Bank

Post by J B »

merchant_banker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:50 am Been using Starling for a while now and very happy with it.
Same here

Decent exchange rate and instant 'ping' on your phone to tell you of each transaction.

They even pay slight interest on credit balances.
J B
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Starling and Curve are becoming more and more popular the U.K.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Starling accounts are only available to UK residents. Curve is available to Cyprus residents.
Ray in Goudi

Post by Ray in Goudi »

The website says that it will "soon be available to everyone".
I think I went onto a waiting list some time back but never heard any more, which is a shame as it does look useful.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

I also use WeSwap, but changed some money at the weekend and only got 1.10 euros - not happy
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I use revolut and it is great, but with terrible customer service. Chat online only.

The rates are great and transfers immediate. Starling looks a safer and more viable solution.
‘Curve allows you to have all your cards on one. It also allows you to make a purchase and then notice it was charged to wrong card and fix it up to 10 days later.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

I did a cursory review of Revolut versus Starling. Here are the main differences I can see:

For forex, Revolut use the interbank exchange rate, which is usually cheaper than the MasterCard rate offered by Starling. (But Revolut does not adhere to this during weekends.)

Starling offers interest on your account. 0.5% on the first £2000 then 0.25% on amounts above that. No interest offered by Revolut.

Starling's ATM withdrawal limit is £300 per day (Maximum of 6 withdrawals per day). Revolut's max is £200 per day.

I would appreciate knowing the views/experiences of anyone who has used these cards. Does Starling have good customer service? I will soon be tax resident in Cyprus but also have a UK home. Many thanks.
J B

Post by J B »

sunspot wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:13 am I would appreciate knowing the views/experiences of anyone who has used these cards. Does Starling have good customer service?
Yes - they pay interest, but then have the annoying habit of texting you at 1am on the first of each month to tell you how much you have earned!!! :shock:

I've never had much to do with their customer service although they wouldn't let us have a joint account despite us having joint accounts with 5 other UK banks!!!
J B