Manic Monday

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Varky

Re: Manic Monday

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:27 am It's all about driving defensively, wherever in the World you drive.
Expect others to do the unexpected, allow plenty of room in front of you and when not accelerating keep that right foot hovering over the brake pedal.
Totally correct. I used this principle and after driving in Baghdad, Riyadh, Cairo and Dubai, I can tell you it works. When a traffic light turns green, that means you have the right to go, but common sense tells you to look out for the idiot coming from another direction trying to beat (and failing) to squeeze through on amber. Another example of driving defensively. Drive as if all other drivers on the road are morons. Each country has different level of morons and no country is immune.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I used to cycle in London before learning to drive. That naturally makes me a lot more cautious and aware of my surroundings.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

We should all drive defensively.
lionelcyprus

Post by lionelcyprus »

And walk defensively.
I almost got knocked down at a pelican crossing an hour or so ago. Near the mall. I was with a child. He pressed the button. We waited for green.
Green. We waited a second or two to make sure. And started. I saw a car coming, and somehow felt he was not going to stop. Fortunately the child was holding my hand. I pulled him back. The car whizzed through. The car following stopped. He had his window open. I asked - was that a red light? And he simply nodded his head. First car was, I believe, a Cypriot driver. Young.
Dominus illuminatio mea
smudger

Post by smudger »

I do wonder sometimes, is there any point in traffic lights and pedestrian crossings here ????
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

David Brown won't be able to reply for a month. I have sent him on a vacation.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:00 am David Brown won't be able to reply for a month. I have sent him on a vacation.
Hope he aint driving there :shock:
lionelcyprus

Post by lionelcyprus »

smudger wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:32 pm I do wonder sometimes, is there any point in traffic lights and pedestrian crossings here ????
Although it is a serious matter, your response did make me laugh. The more I think about it, you may well be right also. :)
Dominus illuminatio mea