The Blog is now Live!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

The Blog is now Live!

Post by Dominic »

As my final act before putting my computer down this year, I am happy to announce that the blog is now live.

You can see it by clicking here.

In the fullness of time (ie the next few days) it will be more closely integrated to the forum, but I wanted to get the blog up in 2016 so it is going up now!

Happy New Year to everybody. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Re: The Blog is now Live!

Post by ApusApus »

Happy New Year to you Dom & thanks for all the work you've done to get this site up & running! :)

Shane
June

Post by June »

Happy New Year Dom.
Well done for beating your self-imposed schedule. :)
emgee

Post by emgee »

Happy New Year Dominic, I hope, seems like already, that this forum is going to be a success.

Alan
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Very impressed with the quality of the BLOG. Thanks and a Happy New Year.
All things are possible
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Thoroughly enjoyed viewing your Blog Dominic 😊

Congratulations for getting this forum up & running so quickly, if the first few days are anything to go by it looks like you are onto a winner...Thank you for setting it up & keeping the format simple enough for those of us that are not Techie 👩‍💻 minded

Happy New Year to You & Yours 🍾🎉🍾🎉🍾🎉. All the Best for 2017...

I hope this forum goes from strength to strength 😀
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

You did it! I enjoyed reading your blogs, thank you. Happy New Year to you and yours.
Bobbin Robin

Post by Bobbin Robin »

Loving the atmosphere of P.L, thank you for all your work in setting it up so quickly. I too would love to know more about the rock formations we see on our walks around Cyprus; hopefully some enlightened person will come along to share some knowledge with us - please?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Happy New Year, Dom,
I love your blog! I have been reading about the Kouklia Sugar Mill, which I have previously visited. But I haven't found the link to where you found this information, not being very computer literate! Please can you give it in a form which I can just click on?

Oh and please keep on with the blog it makes interesting reading!
Thanks.
Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

There's a great little book called Sea To Summit by Ron Dutton which explains all about the geology of Cyprus and the quite unique way it was formed from tectonic plates crushing together to form Troodos. It's known as an Ophiolite sequence which occur in only a small number of places.

Here's a photo of the front and back of the book:
Attachments
Sea To Summit - Ron Dutton
Sea To Summit - Ron Dutton
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_306x400.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Bobbin Robin wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:16 am Loving the atmosphere of P.L, thank you for all your work in setting it up so quickly. I too would love to know more about the rock formations we see on our walks around Cyprus; hopefully some enlightened person will come along to share some knowledge with us - please?
HI BR

There is a new book that has just been published, titled An Introduction To The Wildlife Of Cyprus & chapter 3 covers the Geology of Cyprus. This section explains the origins of Cyprus & how over the millennia the landscape has been shaped by the processes of erosion & tectonic uplift. It also explains the 5 types of Terranes of Cyprus & what these comprise & look like.

The book is excellent, comprising 30 chapters with contributions from 44 authors & 107 photographers providing 1,100 high quality photographs, & is by far the most comprehensive book of its kind on the wildlife of Cyprus.

Shane
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Well worth a visit is the Troodos Geopark. Google for details.

By the way I really enjoyed the blog !
Louise :)
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Bobbin Robin wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:16 am I too would love to know more about the rock formations we see on our walks around Cyprus; hopefully some enlightened person will come along to share some knowledge with us - please?
I think I know the outcrop that the blog is referring to, some 50m after the last car park and where the walking path crosses the stream. The rock face there is full of gypsum, a mineral, not a fossil. If you pick up some of the small crystals on the ground (please do not destroy the outcrop itself!) you can check the hardness of the mineral with your fingernail.

Gypsum is soft and can be scratched with your fingernails - that differentiates it from other minerals where you need a Swiss Army knife to be able to leave a scratch. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scal ... l_hardness

Outcrops like this one are rare - but often associated with Ophiolites, which prior the discovery of the Omani one were most often visited here in Cyprus. I came here during my studies as well on a week long excusion but only remember the meze and stupid amounts of drinks we had :lol:

A.
Bobbin Robin

Post by Bobbin Robin »

Thank you all for the info
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:47 am Happy New Year, Dom,
I love your blog! I have been reading about the Kouklia Sugar Mill, which I have previously visited. But I haven't found the link to where you found this information, not being very computer literate! Please can you give it in a form which I can just click on?

Oh and please keep on with the blog it makes interesting reading!
Thanks.
Dee
The link is actually in the text. It just doesn't look like a link. The text that says "Read The Full Story" is actually a link. Just click on that.

I need to change the code so that links are obvious. It should be done later on today.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-S ... r-art.html

There it is again.

What I plan to do is create a sub forum on here for the blog, and post a link to a new blog every time I post one. That thread could then become the comments thread for that blog article, with a link on the article itself taking you back to the forum. That sounds more complicated than it is.

I found that place fascinating, especially once I had the map to show me what was what. You will enjoy that article too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.