Cyprus versus Mauritius...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Cyprus versus Mauritius...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This waterfall-photo I took yesterday on my tour to the mountains and it reminded me very much to the falls in Mauritius, where I spent holidays many years back....

and this the equivalent in Mauritius

Max
RattyPatty

Re: Cyprus versus Mauritius...

Post by RattyPatty »

Absolutely love Mauritius Max. We have been there about six times. Rented a house and stayed up to nine weeks at a time so really got around. Lovely people, food, country side. They drive on the "right" side of the road. And the Indian Ocean as well. What's not to like . Except the nearly 12 hour flight from London. We can't face it now. But would love to go back.

On our very first visit we were surprised to see from the plane how green the island was.
Last edited by RattyPatty on Fri May 24, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

Meant to add I think we may have been to that waterfall. On the west side? We climbed down to it and swam in the pools below.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

RattyPatty wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:22 pm Meant to add I think we may have been to that waterfall. On the west side? We climbed down to it and swam in the pools below.
It was near the famous seven coloured earth area....

Max
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Fabulous island when I visited in 1997 and 2002 we travelled to most places I remember the coloured earth, so I’m sure we visited that waterfall .........?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Yioula wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:00 pm Fabulous island when I visited in 1997 and 2002 we travelled to most places I remember the coloured earth, so I’m sure we visited that waterfall .........?

Well, Mauritius had a lot of attractions like the water falls, "seven coloured earth", botanic garden, Ile aux Cerfs, "jungle"restaurants, bizarre mountains and beautiful beaches and much more. What I did not like was the fact that outside the very strong protected Hotel resort you was not safe when you went on tours individually in a rental car or relaxing on a beach outside the resort. I stayed in the quite renowned "Le Touessrok Resort" and even there somebody stole my money and watches out of my beach bag, while having a swim just meters outside the resort. A couple of days later I had a talk with a teacher who told me how much he earns in a year and I was shocked that it was a similar amount that what I have paid for ONE day staying in that resort.
To compare with Cyprus, what a difference. After the invasion 1974 also the Cypriots were very poor but I could leave everything unlocked in the house or car or beach..... stealing was unknown here then. (OK it changed now)

Max
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

I agree about the thieving Max but we were well warned and never experienced any theft. All the complexes and hotels have security at the gates. We rented a house and the owners were Mauritius who lived in London near us and we became a friends.

They warned us not to leave any washing out overnight. Even an old pair of flipflops left out would be taken. But I never felt in danger.

I have had a home here for 31 years and also remember when you could leave your house unlocked. House is as secure as it can be but we had two chained up gas bottles in a locked cupboard stolen while we were away last time.

Changed times.