Much too hot and many mosquitos...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Much too hot and many mosquitos...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I don't know if in your area it is similar hot at the moment but as I am writing this post before 6AM it is still/already 25.5c warm which is too high for the time of the year. The forecast for the next days is even hotter with it's climax on Friday when temperatures expected to be above 40c inland, but to reduce 5c on the weekend.

Another thing I realized is that on all windows I can spot hundreds of mosquitos (outside) and if I open the sliding door, they will be in.....and I hate them as they love me so much :) :roll:

I already had a look in my garden to spot containers full with old water from the last rains which for sure are loaded with mossy larvas to be ready to fly soon...

There is a simple cure to kill them quickly, without chemicals, if you add some drops of cooking oil or paraffin oil into that container...

Max
trevnhil

Re: Much too hot and many mosquitos...

Post by trevnhil »

It certainly is very warm.. The 'Hundreds of Mosquitoes' surprises me... I would have though you needed to find where they are coming from ... We still only have the odd few outside here, above Polemi
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I was bitten on the side of my foot yesterday while eating my breakfast outside, admiring my lovely view. Shortly after that, I saw a stripey mosquito hovering near me, and managed to catch it. Yuk, it was the one that had bitten me!
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

I asked Nikki in the council offices about spraying nr us as we’ve an irrigation ditch full of water...Nick postie used to spray for us and put down the pellets for the larvae.
Nikki told me it was too early in the season, total rubbish...I find whatever we ask of her or the council it’s always NO!
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Hi Sadie... I wonder if Nick the former postman is still around, and doing any spraying this year..
If not then maybe they will get someone else. Like you I don't think it is too early to do the spraying.
However I have found that Nikki in the council offices can be quite helpful. She has helped in the last 6 months with organising the collection on a Saturday of a Big dead dog we found 50 mts from our house..
We have had weed spraying earlier in the year down either side of the track to our house.. And when the wet weather was making part of 'our' road impassable she organised the repairs.
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

Strange - only yesterday I was wondering why I can enjoy my hammock without being bothered by mosquitos. Living near Larnaca though.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Eat Garlic a fresh clove a day and you will be fine. Nothing will bite. Ants as well slice an orange or Lemon up and place it on the corners of your patio and they will not come near.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

STELIOSBWFC wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 am Eat Garlic a fresh clove a day and you will be fine. Nothing will bite. Ants as well slice an orange or Lemon up and place it on the corners of your patio and they will not come near.
Does not help everybody though Stelios. I am consuming ca. 1 whole garlic bulb every week but unfortunately I get bitten wherever my skin is not covered. The bustards love me. The other day I got 2 nasty bites which look like from a horsefly.

Max
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:11 pm
STELIOSBWFC wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 am Eat Garlic a fresh clove a day and you will be fine. Nothing will bite. Ants as well slice an orange or Lemon up and place it on the corners of your patio and they will not come near.
Does not help everybody though Stelios. I am consuming ca. 1 whole garlic bulb every week but unfortunately I get bitten wherever my skin is not covered. The bustards love me. The other day I got 2 nasty bites which look like from a horsefly.

Max
Max a few years back I was went to Switzerland with the company I work for and on the last night while having a meal at lake Lugano got bit to bits and my leg looked like a dartboard. Long and short I flew back in to Manchester airport met Mrs and kids and flew straight in to PFO. 3 days in to my break I got an infection in my legs and was ill for the time I was on the Island. So be very carefull . And yeah had lots of garlic but them things that bit me were absolute bad mothers