Operation gone wrong

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
dimsum

Operation gone wrong

Post by dimsum »

Paid for op to be done on hand in private hospital Paphos last year, had the plate removed as protruding out of hand this year and now cannot move hand at all. Went to other surgeons on the island for 2nd opinions and all agreed but would not put anything in writing, no sooner had I discussed my hand my own surgeon knew (x/rays show d.o.b name etc) even if you dont mention what surgeon they close ranks. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do or where to go, been to my lawyer, Good case he said but need it in writing from another surgeon. The first Op cost 4,300 and the second he said he would do free of charge but I would have to pick up all the extra costs. :roll: regards, left hand
Kili01

Re: Operation gone wrong

Post by Kili01 »

I feel incredibly sorry for you. But I don’t think that trying to prove medical negligence here will be easy as most likely the Cyprus Medical Association will exist more to protect its members than to seek redress for the patient. You may have to go off island to a respected hospital/ surgeon in say the UK for the medical report to back your claim. Then seek a top class litigation lawyer say in Nicosia who is willing to take on your case.
But justice can be slow to obtain a court hearing, which may be postponed and you will have legal costs to factor in.
Sorry not to be more encouraging, hope someone else may come forward with suggestions.
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have been dragged into the court system here, and I must admit that I agree with everything said in the post above
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Ask around. There may be a lawyer who will do the work at first "Pro Bono" and then agree to a settlement if/when you win the case.
All things are possible
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Does it have to be a second opinion from a Cypriot surgeon?
There are other places to go where perhaps you could get someone to put it in writing - Israel, Malta are close enough as is Lebanon but I would avoid Greece and Turkey ;-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Lincoln wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:16 pm Ask around. There may be a lawyer who will do the work at first "Pro Bono" and then agree to a settlement if/when you win the case.
Lincoln,,are you serious :shock:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

There are personal injury lawyers in Cyprus who offer no win - no fee. A colleague of mine used one after an injury sustained in a supermarket several years ago.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
dimsum

Post by dimsum »

Many thanks to you all re your comments, when I was in Dubai I tried to see a surgeon for another opinion unfortunately only there a few days and could not fit me in. Told my lawyer this and was told that even if I did get something it would not stand up in court and I would have to pay for the doctor to come to Cyprus, I did my homework regarding what hospital to use and asking people and talked it through with this particular surgeon who was very approachable and gained my confidence,I hate to say it but all these private hospitals are money laundering machines having worked in one here. Its very frustrating with only one hand to use, no earrings, certain clothes only and after my husband passed away this is just me. Regards to you all.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Dimsum, I feel for you, but as others have said, the litigation route is lengthy and extremely costly. The only winners are the lawyers on both sides, who pocket huge fees irrespective of who wins the case. As I know from personal experience, even if you win the case and are awarded costs, this does not amount to every cent you spent. The other side will challenge each item on each invoice from your lawyer, discount as many of his hours as possible, and leave you feeling somewhat poorer and rather bruised.

What do you hope to achieve by bringing this case to court? It will not put right the damage done to your hand. Furthermore, you will be living in limbo for the duration of the case because your concentration will be on the case, not on getting on with your life. If you hope to have this surgeon disgraced, possibly struck off and prevented from operating on anybody else, then I would suggest you need to find other ex-patients of his who would join you in a class action - but again, this will be very lengthy and very costly, not just financially, but mentally too.

You say your surgeon has offered a remedial operation, at a vastly reduced cost to you. Have you enough faith in his abilities to undergo this second op? If so, could you perhaps bargain him down on the ancillary costs? How much movement will he be able to restore and how much do you want your hand back?

Only you know your exact circumstances, what you can or are prepared to afford, and how much suffering you will put up with. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well and hope things turn out well for you.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

PW in Polemi wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:38 pm Dimsum, I feel for you, but as others have said, the litigation route is lengthy and extremely costly. The only winners are the lawyers on both sides, who pocket huge fees irrespective of who wins the case. As I know from personal experience, even if you win the case and are awarded costs, this does not amount to every cent you spent. The other side will challenge each item on each invoice from your lawyer, discount as many of his hours as possible, and leave you feeling somewhat poorer and rather bruised.

What do you hope to achieve by bringing this case to court? It will not put right the damage done to your hand. Furthermore, you will be living in limbo for the duration of the case because your concentration will be on the case, not on getting on with your life. If you hope to have this surgeon disgraced, possibly struck off and prevented from operating on anybody else, then I would suggest you need to find other ex-patients of his who would join you in a class action - but again, this will be very lengthy and very costly, not just financially, but mentally too.

You say your surgeon has offered a remedial operation, at a vastly reduced cost to you. Have you enough faith in his abilities to undergo this second op? If so, could you perhaps bargain him down on the ancillary costs? How much movement will he be able to restore and how much do you want your hand back?

Only you know your exact circumstances, what you can or are prepared to afford, and how much suffering you will put up with. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well and hope things turn out well for you.
Very good and sensible post.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dimsum,i do understand if you don't answere but was the operation for basal thumb arthritis.
dimsum

Post by dimsum »

Hi Chaddy, sorry I am new to forum and not sure if you got my reply. I had arthritis on top of hand/wrist and got worse when caring for my husband who had cancer and finally went to his bones, he would fall over and would try and pick him up hand was in use all the time. After he passed away last year I saw this surgeon who told me I was very thin but found out after Op a thick plate was fitted hence it protruding. It was taken out but now cannot bend hand at all. There are so many kind people here i.e Smart on Polis Road, the supervisor takes my list and by magic appears at till, but where ever you go you get that ouch look, hey ho
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

RSS Logistics in Peyia holds a free legal advice clinic with a local lawyer on the first Saturday of each month 10am - noon. Telephone 26 343775 for more information.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

galexinda wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:00 pm RSS Logistics in Peyia holds a free legal advice clinic with a local lawyer on the first Saturday of each month 10am - noon. Telephone 26 343775 for more information.
That is good to know for anyone in the general Paphos area
Trev..
Paphianclive

Post by Paphianclive »

Hi, have you tried intensive physio? My wife had a hand op and was recommended to use the physio near Law court (top of block of apt's opp corner). It eventually worked. Good luck.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Dimsum, I have re-read your posts and it has just sunk in that you are not only grieving for the effective loss of your hand, but also the death your husband, for which I offer my sincere condolences. I can only imagine how much your earlier loss has exacerbated your feelings over the second. For what it is worth, and I say this coming up to 18 months of widowhood, your emotions will settle down, eventually, and you will be able to get on with this new phase in your life. In the meantime, I hope you are able to recover the use of your hand, whether by a second operation or, as Paphianclive suggested, by physiotherapy.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Not a hand operation that went wrong but just over 9 years ago my handbag was stolen (not in Cyprus) and among other things I was treated for a fractured finger and it wasn't until the plaster cast was removed 5 weeks later that the doctors discovered a tendon had been severed in another finger (Boutonniere deformity) and basically had no function at all - the finger remained bent at 90 degrees. Returned to Paphos and saw Dr Nicandrou (orthopaedic surgeon) who recommended physiotherapy and I had 3 sessions with a physiotherapist and then continued to do the exercises. Pleased to say that now I have about 95 percent function in that finger.
dimsum

Post by dimsum »

Thank you galexinda worth a go. Dimsum
smudger

Post by smudger »

Dead right Lloyd!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Telephone support too. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.