Cordless vacuum cleaners

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
smudger

Cordless vacuum cleaners

Post by smudger »

Can anyone tell me how these vacuums are recharged?? On the tv adverts they seem to click them into some device on the wall, but looking at Dysons site it seems to be some sort of charger that fits into an ordinary electrical socket ????

Also, anyone have an opinion on the efficiency of these cleaners???
Cogs123

Re: Cordless vacuum cleaners

Post by Cogs123 »

Hi smudger,
The wall mount is just for storage purposes, I have 2 of these cordless hoovers ( UK/CY) & cannot recommend them highly enough, you are correct in that they are charged the same way as any rechargeable device.
The suction on the dyson model I have in the UK is as good (if not better) than any upright hoover on the market, they are very light & manoeuvrable too which is a bonus...I know they are a bit pricey, but IMHO worth every penny...hope that helps. :)
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Mark

Post by Mark »

The Dyson Animal is a superb vacuum, works a treat in our Villa, and the charge is enough for a full clean throughout.
Kia Picanto

Post by Kia Picanto »

I bought a very lightweight Vax cordless here in the UK. Pretty good IMO for what I paid (Tesco special offer), though not as efficient as a Dyson I guess. I've also bought a Vax robot cleaner recently, direct from the company's website. Though no substitute for a major clean up, it's fine for picking up bits of fluff, stray hairs etc. I've bought a second to bring out to Cyprus, so if you're passing by my house, and hear a robot-like whirring...it's not me. I'll be in or around the pool, chilling, while Robbie the robot whizzes round the tiled floor:-)
smudger

Post by smudger »

Many thanks for very useful replies, cordless it will be for me now!
emgee

Post by emgee »

I bought Mrs Emgee a Vax cordless hoover for Christmas, she loves it.......................but not me!

Alan
smudger

Post by smudger »

Awwww!! Come on Lloyd, that post is up there with chocolate fire guards!!
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Another cordless to consider is the Gtech. We bought the upright "hoover" type one and the little hand held one together for £300 and we think they're great. Light, powerful, really easy to empty and holds a charge for a long time. So good in fact that we bought another, and took it to Cyprus in our hand luggage! My sisters both saw how easy these machines were to operate and went off and bought them too, as did two of my neighbours....

I've had a few Dysons in my time, but every one either broke or started to lose suction. That was a while ago, so maybe they are better now, but I wouldn't have another. Ma-in-law has had a few too, and again, the reason she's had more than one is because they conked out on her! Yet she's always sure that the next one she gets will be different :lol: :lol:

Just my opinion of course on the Dyson, but cordless - absolutely the way to go.
Macattack

Post by Macattack »

We bought a Bosch Athlet from Amazon and in reviews it came out better than Gtech!! Very happy with it. Plugs into a normal socket.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We bought a lightweight cordless when we first came back to UK as we left our old hoover behind (I never liked it anyway as it was a weird cylinder shape and awkward to manoeuvre) but the new one is fine on the laminate floors and the dog mat but doesn't like the large rug in our living room. The rug has a flowered type pattern in it with textures so it bounces off when it hits them.

So we bought a corded one: Air Stretch Pets Upright Vacuum Cleaner - it has an extra long cord which apparently people with houses with stairs seem to like. It is a very good hoover, the best we've ever had anyway and it's a good old upright style which I've always preferred.

Am not a lover of Dyson stuff either but I do quite like the looks of the GTECH products but still can't convince myself to spend around £300 for a job I hated doing ;-)

Now those electric bikes.... well, that's another story!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

We have a cordless Dyson and we all love them, I will buy another come the day.
Jim.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dyson

After 4 years hard use (even on outdoor tiles) no issues at all.
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

I suppose it is all about peoples own preference, I initially bought the first one because of a recommendation from Which magazine...which has consistently placed the Dyson as one of it's 'best buys'.
There are other makes & models out there, but I'll be sticking with what I know & am very happy with. 😊
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I bought a Bosch Athlet, great machine, really powerful, on the down side I am on my third charger, the wire fails where the charging unit meets the wire. The first the original, lasted about nine months, the second lasted about six months, at about £30 each, it's cost us nearly the price of the vacuum.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Was the charger not covered with the 12 months warranty ??

Trev..
Trev..
smudger

Post by smudger »

Again, many thanks everyone for invaluable comments. Not sure which I'll actually go for but will deffo be cordless. Will check Amazon and go with the reviews.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trevor, never even thought of it ! silly me.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
jhonnikolson

Post by jhonnikolson »

i have also bought new vacuumm recently, it is amazing.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

jhonnikolson wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:13 pm i have also bought new vacuumm recently, it is amazing.
Are you going to tell us which one it is ?
Trev..
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

I just love the way nearly all of us call a Dyson, Shark, Miele . . . . . .a Hoover. Any machine that sucks muck off the floor is called a Hoover . . . . . .even when it's not! 🤣

MB