Moans and groans.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Maggie B

Moans and groans.

Post by Maggie B »

I noticed tonight a topic on your FB page (Dominic) from a poor soul who was being troubled with building works at unsociable times in Chlorakas. I am not being facetious when I say poor soul, as I was one of those poor souls too. 🤔

We lived initially, just off Tombs of the Kings Road where bin lorries (Scaffy Wagons), arrived prompt on a Tuesday and also a Thursday morning at 5 o'clock - 5.15ish on the dot-ish. I was always amazed that there were two collections a week of our rubbish . . . . .so, more often than not, went back to sleep quite content.

We then moved out to Anarita for around three years . . . . . . .where the Cockerels did their squaking, crowing, scratching and male (I'm the man) thing, from around 4.45am in the morning. Yep, eventually went back to sleep but, also the next day would drive the the tortuous, pot ridden route about 1/2 mile up to the chicken farm . . . . . And get the best double Yokers ever known to man or beast. 😁

In our final 3 or 4 years in Cyprus we moved to Chlorakas, where a near Cypriot neighbour had a poor doggie locked up in a concrete kennel 24/7 and the wee soul did howl a bit. 😣 We eventually invited our neighbour across for a beer one night and had 'the craic' with him. We told him what we thought - and he told us what he thought . . .and we all definitely came to a wee bit of an understanding. It took every fibre of my being that night to keep my trap firmly shut but, after a bit of reasoning on both our parts we became proper neighbours.

I am convinced to this day that the guy took our concerns on board as the dog was looked after in a more appropriate manner ie given water, fed and occasionaly taken out for a walk. Perhaps not to the best standards but . . . . . .it was better. A whole lot better.

Lots of things 'got on our wick' about living in Cyprus but, we loved it passionately warts an all. Sega Sega.

Maggie B
Chaddy

Re: Moans and groans.

Post by Chaddy »

Maggie,we live part of the year in a small village in Cyprus and part of the year in Atlanta Georgia,a sprawling metropolis of 4 million people.I,m not giving any prizes for guessing where we get the better nights sleep. :(
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Maggie: you know where we have lived in the quietest backwater possible for 22 years. Yes, pigeons roocooing and crows cawing at dawn but that's nature. Our late dog, Beardie, was not a habitual barker except that he did warn us if there was a snake (any species) in the garden. We have 2 minor noise problems: feral cats (7 or 8 visit the garden regularly and sometimes in chorus) and young idiots on silencer-less bikes pretending they're on trials in the hills (if I were a psychic, they would fall off their steeds every Friday and Saturday!).
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Our bin men empty the green bins on a time rota so sometimes it may be 3.30 am or after 8 am depending on their schedule. Also major building going on just across the road, but the main contractors stick to the regulated hours but have noticed some sub-contractors work Sundays (perhaps as a side line to their main employment elsewhere) and occasionally there is an early start to work. Fortunately have a a quiet lane in front of us whereas apartments at the back face onto a busy road.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Love ALL your comments as they made me smile. 😊

PS Devil, that Beardie Boy was a lovely big huggable lump. . . . . .And obviously got his brains off his Mum🤔 Fabulous that he warned you of any snakes in the vicinity.

MB
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Barking dogs at all hours, not good, but on the positive side, one of my three rescue cats would kill any snakes in the garden, then leave for us to dispose of. That said, I do miss the sunshine and my friends.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

No moans from me about Dustmen, where else in the World do you get twice a week trash collection for peanuts?
smudger

Post by smudger »

Totally agree. All I need to remember here is to either put my rubbish in the communal bin or make sure it's in my cupboard at the front of my house. Simples.
When I'm in the UK I don't have a clue in which bin I'm supposed to be depositing the rubbish. Lord knows how they all remember on a week to week basis,and get the right bins out on the right day, but all those bins are just a nightmare.
Ray in Goudi

Post by Ray in Goudi »

smudger wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 pm
........When I'm in the UK I don't have a clue in which bin I'm supposed to be depositing the rubbish. Lord knows how they all remember on a week to week basis,and get the right bins out on the right day, but all those bins are just a nightmare.
In the UK we are sent a list for the year (actually 18 months last time) and it lives on the fridge, attached by a fridge magnet.
Only ever one day a week - Friday for us.
No problem at all.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

In the UK area we have relatives in they have to pay extra to have the green bins emptied of garden waste.. And the local refuse centre is now closing earlier at 5 pm and is closing on two weekdays
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's odd. I received a flag from google that a page on Paphos Life was note getting ads because it broke their guidelines.

Believe it or not, it was this thread. Google thinks it contains sexual content!

Is their some sexual patois going on here that I am not aware of? :lol:

filth.jpg
filth.jpg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

:lol: :lol: :shock: :twisted:

Not from me there ain't!

MB
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Maggie B

I reckon is was your "lovely big huggable lump" and then Lloyd's "very small frontage" that did it :lol: :lol:

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.