Tender for new Paphos-Polis road to be launched next month

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Tender for new Paphos-Polis road to be launched next month

Post by Paphos Life »

A tender for the study and construction of the first phase of the new Paphos-Polis Chrysochous road will be launched at the end of June, the department of public works announced on Thursday.The first phase of the highway will span the Paphos villages of Ayia Marinouda and Stroumbi, and will be 15.5km long....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Jimgward

Re: Tender for new Paphos-Polis road to be launched next month

Post by Jimgward »

Wonder if it will be like the Paphos Marina tender? Here we are 10 years later and no closer
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

If it is a single lane each way won't the same problems of reckless overtaking of large vehicles still occur ?
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

chatsworth wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:57 am If it is a single lane each way won't the same problems of reckless overtaking of large vehicles still occur ?
I agree Geoff, probably at higher speeds.
J B

Post by J B »

Jimgward wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:06 am Wonder if it will be like the Paphos Marina tender? Here we are 10 years later and no closer
10?

Don't you mean 20?
J B
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Oh oh, the same negative sounds are heard, just like with the changes at the TOK road. Those were supposed to be absolutely not necessary too :lol:
Louise :)
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

I am not saying a new road to Polis isn't required but that it would be better to make it 4 lane, 2 up and 2 down. I thought the new road was to improve safety and also cut journey time whilst relieving congestion through Paphos. My partner witnessed an horrendous head on collision on the polis road yesterday car v car one of which was overturned, again through reckless overtaking. It isn't always the idiot overtaker that comes off worse and I had hoped the new road would help to overcome this type of rtc. They say that extra lanes may be added later but why not do it at the outset, it wont get any cheaper by leaving it and of course once done as single it could take years for any upgrading. I assume much of the cost will come from the E U. so for once put good sense, people's safety and cost effective planning in place.
El tel

Post by El tel »

It’s not just Cyprus that projects take time , took over 40 years to sort out a bypass between Newton Abbot and Torquay.

Terry
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The plans speak of leaving space for more lanes at a later date.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I’m not being negative, I’m just disappointed that it looks like single carriageway, at least initially. To go back and add a extra lanes later will surely cost more and be disruptive for a longer period? Personally I don’t mind driving the current road but I know a lot of people don’t like it. Perhaps the thinking is that with 2 roads the current road will be quieter so why build the extra lanes until there has been time to evaluate the flows? Still, it’s progress, I’m all for improving infrastructure. But I’d settle for the potholes i bounce though every day being filled!

Ian
JimX

Post by JimX »

This has been mentioned for years, we had a discussion about 10 years ago on CL about this road, it never happened then and my guess is we will never see this new by-pass..
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

A new road is needed, and I agree that it should be a dual carriageway. These roads which allow overtaking are statistically much safer. I think that one of the main reasons for serious accidents here is plain impatience and dangerous overtaking of slower vehicles.

Dee
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:26 pm
And when the Alfa Mega store was built. And when the Welcome to Paphos feature at the end of the highway was created. And when the old town was being renovated. Oh, and did I overlook the Paphos Mall?
Lloyd has made a rather sweeping statement!

The Alfa Mega Hypermarket (sic) car park was and always will be a VERY BADLY designed car park.

The Welcome to Pafos feature looks OK when viewed from the highway, but it is a monstrous carbuncle viewed from any other direction!

Ktima improvements are fine for the able bodied, but no thought for those with impaired mobility.