Pano Arodes

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Pano Arodes

Post by Dominic »

Pano Arodes is one of the gateways to the Akamas. It is a charming village between Kathikas and Droushia. We will be featuring it in our next eBook, so recently visited it to do some research. Naturally enough, we took lots of pictures while we were there...

Read the article and chat about it below...

pano-arodes_masthead.jpg
pano-arodes_masthead.jpg (144.01 KiB) Viewed 2048 times

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Re: Pano Arodes

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Another great Blog Dom – The last picture on Page 7 ( Definite Ruin ) reminded me of the old house at the bottom of the Tomb of the kings road on the left as you come down – It used to have an old wooden sign that said - Michaels No1 Watering Hole – And every time you walked past there was a little old man sitting at a table in the garden with a bottle of Keo and just up from him was a rowing boat full of empty beer bottles and I often wondered if they were all his – Not seen him for a few years now
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Nice blog again Dominic. Interesting that the current state of the village looks so good as most of the place was destroyed in 1995 from the strong earthquake of 5.9 Richter. More than 50 homes were completely destroyed and further 570 damaged. Two people died and five survived injured.
I remember the huge amount of earthquake rubble right and left of the road to Inia which stemmed from all this houses. That time I was living for three days in my car at night as the hundreds aftershocks seemed never to stop. The center of the quake was just North of Akamas...and my house was in Neo Chorion, very close to that...(was not a nice experience, but I know now how it feels and I am not afraid anymore from tremors that followed the last 25 years))

Max
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I remember that earthquake as well Max.A lot of people slept in their cars after that quake. And of course I do remember the two people who died in their home in Pano Akourdalia. Very said.
Louise :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:05 am I remember that earthquake as well Max.A lot of people slept in their cars after that quake. And of course I do remember the two people who died in their home in Pano Akourdalia. Very said.
When the next quake happened, October 96, I was at the beach next to Anassa Hotel, laying in the hot sand to cure my backache I suffered at that time. For a sudden there was this strange noise, similar to thunder, and the whole beach was moving up and down like big waves. I looked up and saw the only two people on the whole stretch of ca 1,5 km were running towards me in fear. I told them it is a earthquake and not to worry too much as they are safe at the beach. There were only one or two strong aftershocks but I was very surprised when I heard later in the press that this quake was even stronger (6.2 Richter) then my first one 1 1/2 years before, when I had a lot of damage to my pool. Obviously the reason for no damage this time was that the epicenter happened to be further away...

Max