BBC take on domestic help and murders

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

BBC take on domestic help and murders

Post by Devil »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48110874

Cyprus serial killer case exposes abuse of migrant women
mike strand2

Re: BBC take on domestic help and murders

Post by mike strand2 »

BBC report not entirely representative of all nationalities working in Cyprus. Salary of Filipino set at min €400 pm whereas others can be as low as €309 pm.
However new Contract of Employment issued by the Immigration Dept has a minimum gross salary of €460 Where the Employer is providing accommodation and food, he/she is entitled to deduct out of the gross salary of the Employee 10% for accommodation and 15% for food respectively. The new Gesy Social Insurance cost element can also only be part covered by the Employer, although there are 2 clauses in the contract that conflict on this matter!
smudger

Post by smudger »

Thanks Mike, useful info.
WHL

Post by WHL »

BBC is probably one of the worst news services out there, their bias on many subjects shines like a beacon, I for one choose other more balanced news services.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:01 am BBC is probably one of the worst news services out there, their bias on many subjects shines like a beacon, I for one choose other more balanced news services.
Can you please give chapter and verse where this article is biassed or otherwise wrong? I found that it presents a situation very well and truthfully without Cyprus being shown to be a paradise on earth, while being journalistic.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 am
WHL wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:01 am BBC is probably one of the worst news services out there, their bias on many subjects shines like a beacon, I for one choose other more balanced news services.
Can you please give chapter and verse where this article is biassed or otherwise wrong? I found that it presents a situation very well and truthfully without Cyprus being shown to be a paradise on earth, while being journalistic.
I was saying that I dont think the BBC is anywhere as good as it was many moons ago.... It was once a respected service where many around the World used to tune in to get news, now its a PC bias service, with its own political agenda, not fair or balanced in any way, my opinion ...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I wouldn't say the BBC is hugely bad, but their standards have deteriorated rapidly since the advent of the internet. So have others though. Truth is far less important these days.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:16 pm I have seen comments on various platforms criticising the bbc as being left biased,also as being right biased....which indicates they are probably neither.Having seen what tasks the foreign domestic workers are made to do,also witnessed the sharing round between Cypriot family members,i have always referred to them as slaves,rather than the euphemistic "maids"
Re your slave remark, yes there are some people who work the ladies more than they should, but on the other hand there others who treat them as part of the family, one of my neighbours has a young lady from Nepal, who looks after the yaya, she is like one of the family, taken with them to restaurants etc, she is friendly with my wife, and has been round to ours, to show us how to cook a great curry, she loves her employers, so generalizing isn't a good thing.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

1. I don't find the BBC is particularly biased either to left or right

2. I'm fairly sure that for every mistreatment of an oriental helper, there are a hundred who are treated correctly.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Devil,
You may be right and hopefully most employers are fair with their maids. But the practice by some of sharing a maid with other family members or expecting them to work in their taverna or shop isn’t right. Employers should understand clearly that the terms of the contract which they signed with the agency are legally binding. When we lived in Hong Kong and employed a filipina who came to us on contract we were expected to pay for her food and board, basic working clothes, also to pay for her medical care, as well as her ticket home at the end of the contract. It should be the same here, in my opinion.These girls work hard and should get their salary monthly clear of the above living and health costs. Invariably, they send most of what they earn back to support their families including their children. They should never be used as slave labour. We used to treat our maid well and she responded to that.

Dee