Cyprus Driving Licence No.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Happy in Cyprus

Cyprus Driving Licence No.

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed May 01, 2019 1:45 am

Booking car rental abroad and I need to give my Cyprus Driving Licence number. Am I correct in thinking this is Item 5 on the front of the licence and not 4d? Can't find anything online. Thanks in advance.

smudger

Re: Cyprus Driving Licence No.

Post by smudger » Wed May 01, 2019 8:54 am

Morning Lloyd. If you look on the other side of the licence on the right hand side is what looks like a possible key to what the items on the other side are?? It's in Greek though and my Greek is not up to the translation. Also, not too sure as I have mislaid mine but item 5 looks suspiciously like an ARC number (alien card) , but could be totally wrong on all counts!

Jacs

PolemIan

Post by PolemIan » Wed May 01, 2019 9:18 am

Lloyd, based in mine I think 4a is date of issue, 4b, expiry, 4c says road transport department, 5 ties in with ARC numbering on my MEU doc, 9 ties in the vehicle categories on the reverse, so I think therefore that 4d must be the licence number

Ian

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln » Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 am

Hi Lloyd, item 5 is your registration number it appears on all your documents-yellow slip, etc. I do believe that 4d is the licence number. However, I am not 100% certain.
All things are possible

Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby » Wed May 01, 2019 10:12 am

It looks like it is 5 .

Standard data field labelling

To help users of different languages to understand what each of the data fields on the licence contains, they are labelled with a number. A legend is usually supplied on the reverse of the card in the issuing authority's language.

1.surname
2.given name
3.date of birth, place of birth
4.a) date of issue, b) date of expiry, c) issuing authority, d) personal number
5.licence number
photograph of holder
7.signature of holder

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea ... ng_licence

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 am

So, so universal agreement then :( I originally entered 4d, as I recognised that 5 was my (now technically defunct) Cyprus ID number. Then, last night, thought I had made an error and that perhaps the ID number was linked to my driving licence number. Then this morning my daughter tells me that her hubby did some research online and found that 4d is the licence number.

Jacs, yes I had seen the code in small print on the reverse of the card, but my Greek is just not good enough to establish whether 4d or 5 is the licence number. Just need to wait until a Greek speaker comes along, I guess :D

It really shouldn't be this hard; if we in Cyprus don't know, how on earth are rental desks abroad supposed to figure it out?

smudger

Post by smudger » Wed May 01, 2019 2:32 pm

How the dickens did we manage before these forums??? :D

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed May 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Ha! Just re-read my last post; meant to have said "So NO universal agreement then...".

But it seems like 4d is the correct answer, unless anyone definitely knows different ;)

Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby » Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm

If you look at a uk license , number 5 is the license number . I am sure someone will be along with the correct answer soon .
Attachments
FB18BC55-2A89-4B1B-8171-CFE247B6F93F.jpeg
FB18BC55-2A89-4B1B-8171-CFE247B6F93F.jpeg (127.44 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed May 01, 2019 6:26 pm

I know, but you don't need me to remind that the UK is not Cyprus ;) ...and there may be national variations.

As Lincoln pointed out, 5 is your Cyprus ID number. My money's on 4d still 8-)

Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan » Wed May 01, 2019 6:53 pm

On the back of the licence is a key. It says No.5 is your licence number (in Greek αριθμός άδειας). This is also your ID or ARC number but is preceded with a 1/. This is not too different to the UK licence which uses a combination of your name and date of birth (if I remember correctly).

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 am

Thank you Jeanne. I know you speak Greek and I was aware of the key on the word back and of the word 'arithmos' and am ready to accept your conclusion. But I do wonder how a number is allocated if people do not have an ID card on which to base their licence number? Presumably the same format has to be continued in some way.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu May 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Hate to prolong the debate on what might be considered a superficially boring topic. But anyone who needs to rent a car abroad will need to know the answer to this.

This morning I popped in to Leon, the auto paint sprayer on the G'pou Industrial Estate, and showed him my licence. I asked him which was the licence number. He thought it was 4d, but deferred to a Greek speaking and writing employee. He in turn said 4d ...and observed that No.5 was simply my Cyprus ID number - which of course it is. As I've queried before, peeps without a now defunct Cyprus ID card would not have a number which conforms to this format. And the format has to be standard for all drivers, irrespective of nationality. Many will know that the plastic ID cards issued to 'aliens' (that's us) had a slightly different numbering system than local GC ID cards.

Later on I popped in to a Greek taxi company, similiar to Akis Express. I showed the girl on the desk my driving licence and asked her which was the licence number. She again said 4d, which was my supposition all along. So 4d is what I shall be using in future ;)
Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Thu May 02, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smudger

Post by smudger » Thu May 02, 2019 3:07 pm

Pphheewwww! Glad we got that sorted! :D

tonee

Post by tonee » Thu May 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Wow,Will Smith lives in Peterborough!Did not know that! :D :D :D

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln » Mon May 06, 2019 9:51 am

I have just collected my New driving license. And it has a new number. The fact of the matter is that 4d is the Driving Licence Number.
All things are possible

Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby » Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 am

Lincoln wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:51 am
I have just collected my New driving license. And it has a new number. The fact of the matter is that 4d is the Driving Licence Number.
So is the new number in section 4d ?

Is section 5 still the same ?

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln » Mon May 06, 2019 2:46 pm

Mrblobby wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 am
Lincoln wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:51 am
So is the new number in section 4d ?

Is section 5 still the same ?

Yes 4d is the license number......5 remains the same as the number will always remain the same as it is on all official documents such as Medical card, yellow slip's, etc;
All things are possible

Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:50 pm

Sorry to drag this up again but for anyone who is interested, I have just returned from using a hire car in the UK and they used and confirmed that no. 5 was my licence number. This is my ID preceded by a 1/.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:07 am

But Jeanne, simply because a car hire company in the UK used No.5 does not make it right. As several people reported earlier, 4d appears to be the concensus view from people in Cyprus. Someone needs to pop into a Police Station though for absolute confirmation.