Fossilised foot?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Fossilised foot?

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Well, I was not only celebrating with friends this Easter holidays, but also out for crystal hunting.... :x

So one piece that looked like part of a foot poke out of an spoil tip, looking completely different in colour and shape than the rest of the area. For the size of ca 25 cm it was extremely heavy...

which means to me it's needing further treatment.. :) by smacking with a sledge, this nice Quartz crystals appeared... worth be be kept indoors

the other side:

and as I was already busy with the sledge hammer I thought to give another specimens I found also a smack..

and what I did not expect came up after a macro photo from the one half. One can clearly see the combination of Quartz crystals and "fools gold"..(Pyrite)

That's why this hobby is not only exciting finding different specimens, but also to keep them in your photo gallery...

Max
Cherry345

Re: Fossilised foot?

Post by Cherry345 »

That is pretty amazing that a boring old rock is holding so much beauty when you crack it open, that is so fabulous, and what an incredible find...although I am glad to say I am pleased it wasn't an actual fossilized foot lol.
Galini

Post by Galini »

Very interesting and lovely crystals. I will have to start going out walking with a little hammer in my backpack !
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

How nice to find both iron pyrites and quartz together! Is this unusual?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Ancient History wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:15 am How nice to find both iron pyrites and quartz together! Is this unusual?
Well, in my collection of pyrites I have ca 200 exhibits from the last 10 years, but it is the first time that I discovered quartz (amethyst perhaps) with inclusions of pyrite...

Max
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Amazing Max, thank you! Pyrite is often accompanied by its brother, Quartz 😁!!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 pm Amazing Max, thank you! Pyrite is often accompanied by its brother, Quartz 😁!!
But what amazes me that I never found Amethyst with Pyrite inclusions before, not even at the Memi Mine when I started that hobby 25 years ago...

As there were no comments from you: perhaps you missed my post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8964

Max
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

I had a Quick view and yes i missed your comment indeed!! It was holiday season and i was eating meat (souvla!) like crazy, after the fastening period 😁😁 ill get to that post too as it seems amazing!

Well, it depends on the place you are looking! For example, in Foinix mine in Foukasa/Skouriotissa there are large quartz crystals associated with pyrite! Also, in Analiontas mine i found it quite a lot. And... In the loooong-history mining area of Mitsero Village (3000 b. C.), as well, but now unfortunately, they are looking for humans instead of rocks...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:39 am . In the loooong-history mining area of Mitsero Village (3000 b. C.), as well, but now unfortunately, they are looking for humans instead of rocks...
Yes, as they do also at Memi Mine, which I visited so many times in the past, but now that horrible situation puts me off to travel so many hours...and at Memi there are more than one lakes/ponds...specially after that rainfall this winter.

Max