Paphos cat lady needs help after fall leaves her bed-bound

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Paphos cat lady needs help after fall leaves her bed-bound

Post by Paphos Life »

The Paphos cat lady has made a desperate plea for help from volunteers after a bad fall has left her incapacitated and unable to look after the one hundred and sixty or so strays she feeds and cares for every day in the old town....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Paphos cat lady needs help after fall leaves her bed-bound

Post by Dominic »

I guess it all depends on how much trapping and spaying goes on.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lucie

Post by Lucie »

It’s the Brits and other foreigners who run most of the cat and dog shelters here. Without them, there would be dogs in packs running on the streets attacking people, suffering cats living from the bins and being poisoned at the end of the season.
emgee

Post by emgee »

By feeding the females, they are healthier and stronger and usually survive giving birth. Problem is, of course, that there are another 6 kittens to look after per Mother.

Alan
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

emgee wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:06 pm By feeding the females, they are healthier and stronger and usually survive giving birth. Problem is, of course, that there are another 6 kittens to look after per Mother.

Alan
Of course.Then lets say of the six kittens 3 are female and give birth to another six kittens so we now have eighteen,of those eighteen 9 are femail and give birth to six we now have 54,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and so on,,,keep feeding them :roll:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I’ve paid to have Parc spay around 10 and give them a decent monthly direct debit to continue it. That has to help
Last edited by Jimgward on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Slay or spay?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's a bugger of a typo. :lol:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Lofos-5 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 pmSlay or spay?
Woopsies!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I remember when dogs used to run around in packs in England in the 70s. At least they did in our neck of the woods. They weren't aggressive packs, more a social thing. And dogs would be allowed to roam over their own turf. Hard to imagine now.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The feral cats in our area have access to fresh water and are left to fend for themselves. However, in a situation like this where the cats are dependent on being fed regularly, the lady who normally looks after them is asking for them to be cared for until she is well enough to do so.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I will not feed wild cats ever. They live there own lives. We have feral/wild cats in our area. They look after themselves. I have a bowl of water that I top up for them and they seem to like that-but no food.
All things are possible
emgee

Post by emgee »

I believe that feral cats should be just that, feral. I agree with David Brown's comments above, the Brits are upsetting the balance of nature by feeding all these cats. Have you seen how many cats there are at the Monastry? I have 3 rescued cats and a rescue dog who live ln my Villa/garden and are well cared for. They have all been done by Dr Ena and live a happy life.

Alan
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

emgee wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:36 am I believe that feral cats should be just that, feral. I agree with David Brown's comments above, the Brits are upsetting the balance of nature by feeding all these cats. Have you seen how many cats there are at the Monastry? I have 3 rescued cats and a rescue dog who live ln my Villa/garden and are well cared for. They have all been done by Dr Ena and live a happy life.

Alan
There are over 800 cats at the monastery - why? Because people, Cypriots & British choose to have cats but as soon as they become ill, get old or have kittens they become an unwanted item. There have been many cases of Brits leaving the island & giving all the excuses why they can’t take these cats back with them. They are not all feral cats that live there & a great many are abandoned house cats. Then there are all the kittens that get dumped at a few days old because the owners won’t pay to have their cats neutered.
I am not a great cat lover & am not involved with TMC but the people that run it are doing the best they can without funding & limited resources as are most of the rescue centers in Cyprus. It’s exactly the same with dogs, they are abandoned without a second thought but if microchipping & breeding was more closely monitored the culprits could be made to pay.
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

The people who live opposite us mentioned to me a few weeks ago that they were going back to the Czech Republic in the middle of June, and when I asked them what they were doing with the four cats that they have been feeding for the past four years they just shrugged their shoulders, which now makes me a bit worried for them, but with having a large German Shepherd its not something I think I want to take on, it is a terrible situation over here with all the wild cats, and even though I do think its amazing that people help to feed them, I do wonder whether in the case like the people opposite who are just going to leave them whether they have made the situation worse for the cats as they are now used to being fed....but then again at least the cats have had four good years of food...but is that worse for them...I honestly don't know.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Does your large German Shepherd cause problems at this time with the 4 cats opposite?

If not, I'm sure you could feed the cats discreetly, away from your dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I appreciate what you are all saying, but continuing to feed and support these huge numbers of cats and dogs will eventually become unsustainable. I think that people should stop feeding ferals and that rescue centers may eventually realise that they can only accommodate so many of them.
Maybe the longer term choice maybe to try firstly to rehome the young and healthy animals-as at present, but if that fails after a predetermined time these should be humanely euthanised. Also old, sick and severely injured animals should also by euthanased.
This always raises a howl of protest from some animal lovers. But in the end what matters most is the welfare of each animal. Humane euthanasia is sometimes kinder to a dog or cat if there is no hope of finding it a suitable home or if it is old or ill.
We had on occasion to euthanase 2 of our own pets (over the years we enjoyed their company).. We were with our vet and the dog to the end. It was more distressing for us as our dog simply went to sleep and knew nothing about it.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Very well put Kili01 - I agree with everything you have just written.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Someone else mentioned animals abandoned by Brits returning to the UK, either for a holiday or a more permanent basis. I have known this to happen a few times, my pets are part of my family, I would never ever abandon them, but sadly others do not feel the same way. Why oh why they take on these poor creatures, only for them to be left behind alone and unloved is beyond me. There has to be something wrong with them I think.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

[quote=Kili01 post_id=87170 time=1556362791 user_id=250]
I appreciate what you are all saying, but continuing to feed and support these huge numbers of cats and dogs will eventually become unsustainable. I think that people should stop feeding ferals and that rescue centers may eventually realise that they can only accommodate so many of them.
Maybe the longer term choice maybe to try firstly to rehome the young and healthy animals-as at present, but if that fails after a predetermined time these should be humanely euthanised. Also old, sick and severely injured animals should also by euthanased.
This always raises a howl of protest from some animal lovers. But in the end what matters most is the welfare of each animal. Humane euthanasia is sometimes kinder to a dog or cat if there is no hope of finding it a suitable home or if it is old or ill.
We had on occasion to euthanase 2 of our own pets (over the years we enjoyed their company).. We were with our vet and the dog to the end. It was more distressing for us as our dog simply went to sleep and knew nothing about it.

Dee
[/quote

Very good post Kili01.I don't think that the people feeding these ferels,whilst meaning well,and their hearts are in the right place that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".