Banks closing over Easter.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Banks closing over Easter.

Post by Lincoln »

According to the Central Bank of Cyprus, all banks in Cyprus will be closed for an extended period covering Easter this year. Banks will close on Thursday, April 25th and re-open on Thursday 2nd May 2019.

Specifically, the banks will be closed:

Friday, April 26th (Good Friday)
Monday, April 29th (Easter Monday)
Tuesday, April 30th (Easter Tuesday)
Wednesday, May 1st (Labour Day)
All things are possible
smudger

Re: Banks closing over Easter.

Post by smudger »

Unbelievable! No such thing as Easter Tuesday, pure union waffle. Doesn't affect me, unless the cash machines run out, which is always possible presumably, but businesses could be badly affected in terms of coinage.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Realise that Flossie, I was thinking about businesses either accumulating heaps of coinage, or needing particular coinage from a bank.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

smudger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:12 am Unbelievable! No such thing as Easter Tuesday, pure union waffle. Doesn't affect me, unless the cash machines run out, which is always possible presumably, but businesses could be badly affected in terms of coinage.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Tuesday
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The banks in Cyprus are a law unto themselves! Banks on island are probably open for business far less hours than banks in most of Europe! Here in the UK banks work 5 .5 days a week. This includes Sat mornings. At Easter they are closed for bank holidays, Good Friday and Easter Monday.
Also wonder why Alpha has to close access to its cash machines for half an hour before they open and for about 15 mins after that? It guarantees a queue of people trying to get cash at a time when many should be at work.

Dee

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:24 am Banks on island are probably open for business far less hours than banks in most of Europe!
Before making sweeping generalisations, why not perform some actual research?

What time do banks close in France?
Standard banking hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30-9:00 to 16:00-17:30. Some banks also extend hours on one day a week, while others (usually small branches) close for the day at 12:00-14:00. Some branches open on Saturdays (usually from 9:00-13:00), but if so they are usually closed on Monday.

Opening times in Spain:
Normal bank opening hours in Spain are 8:30 am, Monday through Friday. Banks then stay open through until 2:00pm or 2:30pm, and then close for the day.

Some banks like Santander and Bankia will have a late evening opening one evening a week, often on a Thursday, and will usually open on Saturday mornings from 9:30am or 9:00am until 12:00 or 1:00pm.

I don't know about you, but one of the reasons we moved to Cyprus was for the more relaxed way of life. If that means the banks are open less often then I'm fine with that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:41 am
Kili01 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:24 am Banks on island are probably open for business far less hours than banks in most of Europe!

I don't know about you, but one of the reasons we moved to Cyprus was for the more relaxed way of life. If that means the banks are open less often then I'm fine with that.
Exactly, I could not word it better... :roll:

Max
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Banks are only closed for 6 days, not sure about state hospitals which may be on an out of hours schedule for the same period of time and supermarkets will be open nearly every day, so many people will not be affected.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Dominic wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 am
smudger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:12 am Unbelievable! No such thing as Easter Tuesday, pure union waffle. Doesn't affect me, unless the cash machines run out, which is always possible presumably, but businesses could be badly affected in terms of coinage.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Tuesday
I was in AlphaMega this morning. They have posters announcing that during Holy Week they are open on:

Easter Monday
Easter Tuesday
Easter Wednesday
Easter Thursday
Easter Friday

Over to you, Dominic for definitions of/links to the last three :lol:

I must admit that I was surprised by Easter Monday.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

I should make it clear that by "Easter Friday" they clearly did not mean Good Friday, in case anyone thinks I'm going do-lally
smudger

Post by smudger »

Ministry's posting re Easter opening hours!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8903