Dhekelia Crossing Point

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
bromerzz

Re: Dhekelia Crossing Point

Post by bromerzz »

There isn't a Dhekelia crossing.
But there are 3 crossings in the east.
One at Pergamos, one at Ayios Nikolaos and one in Deryneia.
All are open 24/7 and have Insurance offices.
Which crossing you take depends on where you want to go on the dark side.
Living in Deryneia I think this is the most efficient of the 3 and does not come under the SBAs as the other two do. It also has the most interesting drive through the fenced off areas of Varosha bringing you out at the Bastions to the Famagusta Castle(classed as the Town Centre) which is only some 5km from the crossing point.
Not sure of Insurance costs but they do multi day, monthly and annual. I pay annual fee. Last year that was €120 for a 2000cc car and this year has now gone up to €180. Locals will go over to fill up cars and if you are heavy mileage you soon recover the insurance costs. I travel to Pathos, as a rule 3 times a week, so the much cheaper/reduced price of fuel over the north benefits me.
Directions ...
WHL

Post by WHL »

It depends where you want to go in the north, Nicosia is the easiest for Kyrenia, Ay Nik for Famagusta/Pan handle, from Paphos drive towards Larnaca, then take the Nicosia/Ayia Napa turn off, if you want Nicosia turn off when you get to the Nicosia turn off, if you want Ay Nik, then carry on turn off at the Achna/Dhekelia turn off keep going for about 15 minutes, you will go through Vrysoulles to the crossing point, when you get to Vrysoulles next to the Esso garage there is an office Costas travel, many use him for insurance, be warned there are speed cameras all over the place, and you will get your collar felt the next time you visit, you will not be allowed to cross back, until all fines are payed.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Ay. Nikolaios is the closest if I recall correctly. We used it a couple of times and it was always quicker than by the racecourse.

But when the insurance costs went stupid for our double cab we started parking near the Ledra Street crossing instead and walking through, even for overnight stays.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

You probably mean Pergamos, use the same directions for Ay Nik, at the turn of for Achna/Dhekelia, turn right then right again before the SBA police station, follow that road to the end, turn right and go straight to the check point.