Chainsaws ... firewood ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Chainsaws ... firewood ...

Post by MacManiac »

Since January we have been having regular deliveries of lemonwood for our log burner. The size of the wood has been ideal and the two brothers running the business have been obliging and professional. The price of the wood is good.

Today I sent a message to them, asking for a delivery this week. I received a reply, saying they would text me tonight with a delivery time and date. But the brother who runs the business tells me his brother will make the delivery as he has had an accident with a chainsaw. It just goes to show what a dangerous business it can be. I mean which of us has never had an accident with a tool we are using.
trevnhil

Re: Chainsaws ... firewood ...

Post by trevnhil »

It is a few years ago now when a man using a chainsaw in Polemi cut into his leg. Sadly he died..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

My chainsaw is pretty safe. However, it uses a power cable, so I can turn it on and off easily. How do the portable chainsaws work? I would imagine one that uses a battery would work in a similar fashion. But what about the petrol chainsaws that you start in a similar fashion to a lawnmower? Surely if those are started, you leave them running more? I would imagine that would be more of a risk.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ah thank you for that. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Any decent chainsaw will have a chain brake and the operator should use it whenever running the saw and not in the act of cutting. I have had chains snap and wizz pass my face but I always wear a helmet complete with ear muffs and a face guard in addition to my protective glasses.
But even the most experienced can hit a problem at any time.
smudger

Post by smudger »

About 3 years ago when I first used a mandolin I managed to slice half if my little finger off. Chain saws scare me witless just watching them so if I can slice half my finger off with a mandolin what the heck could I do with a chainsaw??? Anyone ever seeing me within 10 yards of a one call the emergency services!!