Burning of trees near Polis turtle beach condemned

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Burning of trees near Polis turtle beach condemned

Post by Paphos Life »

A strip of around 700 metres of the Mavralis state forest lining the protected sea turtle spawning beaches of Limni and Argakas at Chysochou bay were bulldozed and burnt on site by the forestry department without the necessary authorisation, it emerged on Saturday....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Oxfordboy

Re: Burning of trees near Polis turtle beach condemned

Post by Oxfordboy »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:47 pm Nothing to do with the golf courses then...The place looks like a battlefield.
I'm not sure from your profile where you actually live, but I do live here and according to some local people I've spoken to, the indigenous vegetation is being left in place while other vegetation, which was becoming overwhelming, is being cleared. Also, new toilet facilities are being built, new barbecues are being built and access to the sea is being made easier and camping sites are being created. As this is going on, it may be easy to assume that it looks like a battlefield, but the wonderful thing about nature is that things actually grow back and in a couple of months it I'm sure it will look just fine. Also, it's nowhere near the planned golf courses which, to the best of my knowledge, will be developed in Limni and hasn't actually started yet.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Of course it has something to do with the Limni Golf project. Bank of Cyprus, the new owner, has obviously good contacts to the Forestry Dept. and as the project got the green light from the EU recently this is the first step how we deal in Cyprus with things... :roll:

"Among properties to be sold to the Bank of Cyprus is said to be Limni Resorts & Golf Courses’ golf course in Paphos. The project was to include a golf course, a five-star hotel, a wellness center, residential units and would grow to 3.3 million square meters. It is worth noting that urban planning permission was obtained in August this year. The total project was estimated to cost some EUR 800 mln."

the complete article in the press: http://www.financialmirror.com/news-det ... ?nid=36267

Max
smudger

Post by smudger »

Does anyone know the fate of the turtles in this mish mash??
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Statement from the Forestry Department;

The Forestry Department has issued a statement concerning the uprooting of acacia from the state forests of Gialia and Mavralis, following Phileleftheros’ front page piece about the total destruction of a state forest in a protected turtle nesting beach.
In its statement the Department says that Acacia saligna (acacia) is considered to be one of the most aggressive species in the natural habitats of Cyprus, that it is considered a serious threat and that its removal was essential.
This is not a breeding season and there are no consequences for the sea turtles, other vegetation will be planted in the area, the Department says.
Acacia has also been removed from other parts of the same area as well as other parts of the island, the statement continues.
As an immediate measure to protect the Caretta-Caretta nesting ground, the Forestry Department says that it will fence the area with a special net that cannot be penetrated by the disturbing car lights which have a negative effect on the turtles.