Little animal story in pictures ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Little animal story in pictures ...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Well I didn't expect that the lizards in my garden were interested in what I was eating while laying on the sunbed yesterday afternoon: dried dates

So while I was enjoying the dates with walnuts one lizard appeared in that blue basket...

I thought perhaps lizards like also this sweet dates as they feed normally on honey in winter which I put for them in little container. It took only seconds until another lizards jumped into that basket...and started eating the little piece I threw into the container...

and very quick there was even a fight about that

after a short while one lizard left but another one appeared (left hand side) and the first lizard behaved greedily to finish the nibble

and it looked like another fight is on the way...

but the wiser head gave in..and he disappeared

but one can see why... he was much bigger then the other one

and that huge tongue...

showing off

but also he had eventually enough and jumped out of the box...

Max
Last edited by cyprusmax47 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudger

Re: Little animal story in pictures ...

Post by smudger »

Max, they seem to be looking at you as though they know you!!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

smudger wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:11 pm Max, they seem to be looking at you as though they know you!!
You are right, they were all watching me as I was only 50 cm away for the pics, but seemed not to be afraid... specially this one...

Max
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Lovely photos of your pretty little skinks, Max. Do you also get the ones with the iridescent green/turquoise stripe down the side?
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

That was so lovely, and I had no idea what they ate, I will get some dates lol, I saw a little one yesterday walking beside the pool but it was too quick for me to get my camera out, totally loved the pictures and story.
Spock

Post by Spock »

These are Troodos Lizard, found over the whole of Cyprus.
The ones PW refer to are probably the Snake-eyed Lizard, the most common of our three true lizards (Spiny-footed Lizard being the third).

There are also four skinks, two geckos, one chameleon and one agama.
Fascinating creatures.
Boldly going......
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PW in Polemi wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:09 am Lovely photos of your pretty little skinks, Max. Do you also get the ones with the iridescent green/turquoise stripe down the side?
Just have a look at Dominic's Dam Buster blog, page 8, last picture, that is a Cyprus Skink, which I never had in my garden,beautiful looking..

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/dam-busters/8

Max
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Lovely pics Max and a nice story as always about the lizards in your garden. Have you been out today for a fish lunch.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

STELIOSBWFC wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:25 pm Lovely pics Max and a nice story as always about the lizards in your garden. Have you been out today for a fish lunch.
Of course Stelios. I enjoyed, sitting outside in the sunshine, as a starter: village salad and thin sliced octopus from the grill and for main a nice "Sorgos" just caught this morning... Delicious. There was no space for dessert though, just a Greek coffee...

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cherry345 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:31 am That was so lovely, and I had no idea what they ate, I will get some dates lol,
Don't worry, they love honey put in the lid of any plastic bottle and place it at a sheltered area with some honey underneath as glue. Also a slice of ripe pear they are very keen on.
If you have Agamen in your garden they like ripe tomato halves in hot summer...

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cherry345 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:31 am That was so lovely, and I had no idea what they ate, I will get some dates lol, I saw a little one yesterday walking beside the pool but it was too quick for me to get my camera out, totally loved the pictures and story.
As I mentioned in an earlier post: they love also pear when ripe. Here a pic from yesterday, 5 minutes after I put one cut of pear for them..

Max
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Oh wow that is amazing, and I do actually have one ripe pear left, thanks Max that is so fabulous.
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Just an update....I sliced the pear and within thirty minutes got a great video of a little lizard chomping away on it...totally fabulous, and it kept me amused for ages watching him...tomorrow will try the honey as I have some raw honey in the cupboard that I bought for my mountain tea lol....thanks Max you are so helpful.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cherry345 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:35 pm Just an update....I sliced the pear and within thirty minutes got a great video of a little lizard chomping away on it...totally fabulous, and it kept me amused for ages watching him...tomorrow will try the honey as I have some raw honey in the cupboard that I bought for my mountain tea lol....thanks Max you are so helpful.
You're welcome!

Max