WARNING - SNAKES!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
LouiseCastricum

Re: WARNING - SNAKES!

Post by LouiseCastricum »

There will be nests everywhere in this time of the years.
Louise :)
Ams

Post by Ams »

This made me realise I have no idea what a viper nest looks like. And having searched online I am still none the wiser... :?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It certainly is a worry at this time of year, both snakes and Caterpillars.. I used to let our dog off the lead near our house to run in the fields.. But I will wait now until the end of April..
Trev..
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

iniquitous is a great word & a timely reminder to those who may be at risk
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Yep, I agree with Norv Vi. That was a good word to use but, only because I have an 'irrational' thing going on in my head regarding snakes!

Uniquitous 'thoughts' are what I suffer from. . . . . . And that is just BAD. 🤐

Maggie B
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Flossie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:38 pm Basically a hang out for snakes, usually a pile of shrubbery, leaves etc!!

It can also be used to describe 'a group of iniquitous people, congregating together' :lol: :lol: :lol: !
Such as a developer and his staff. Ours certainly was :cry:

Seriously, like Maggie, I have a fear of snakes. When I was doing the Anglesey Coast path last summer, I was walking through sand dunes, wearing shorts, and felt something on the back of my leg. I turned round and saw a viper slithering into the maram grass. I immediately pulled my socks up as far as they would go. Next day it was long socks and proper hiking boots.

Most Cypriots carry sticks with them when in long grass. The people I saw picking wild asparagus four weeks ago had long sticks.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I always carry a proper stick with me, summer and winter, when I am out for "rock hunting" to be fit for any occurrences. Climbing up a hillside without stick would be OK but back down.... there is the problem. I could use it also as a weapon in case a stray dog is attacking. If I walk into high grass I always throw larger stones in front of me in order the vibration it makes, led them disappear.

Max
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

There is a field behind our house that I have been letting my dog have a run in now and again, lots of long grass, can't believe I didn't think about snakes, I am so glad for this post...thanks.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

When we first came to Cyprus and stayed at the Imperial Hotel. the field next to the hotel, where Stavros's kiosk is now, was covered in long grass. We were told by the rep not to walk through it because of snakes and to keep to the track next to the coast. The second year we stayed there, the field had been cleared.
Remember seeing a Tonia Buxton food programme. She went out foraging with the man who owns Seven St Georges. His method of scaring snakes was stamping on the ground to create vibrations. I think he was also wearing wellies, certainly boots and long trousers.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Just been spreading snake powder by all the doors to the house and sheds; our place is surrounded on four sides by fields and we get a lot of black snakes taking shortcuts through our garden.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jim B wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:40 pm Just been spreading snake powder by all the doors to the house and sheds; our place is surrounded on four sides by fields and we get a lot of black snakes taking shortcuts through our garden.

Jim
Encourage them, they eat BNVs.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Black snakes are your friends. They eat the other snakes.
All things are possible
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm Black snakes are your friends. They eat the other snakes.
and mice and rats ....
Louise :)